Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would love to relocate to spain with the family and wondered if people could help.

i am a qualified driving instructor and my wife works in admin but is 1 year off completing her AAT part (accounting) at college.

my question is and it is very vague at the minute how would you attack the issue hands on with work etc.

i also have 2 children aged 9 and 6

thanks

·
Registered
19,438 Posts
i would love to relocate to spain with the family and wondered if people could help.

i am a qualified driving instructor and my wife works in admin but is 1 year off completing her AAT part (accounting) at college.

my question is and it is very vague at the minute how would you attack the issue hands on with work etc.

thanks
Hi!
I came to Spain a long time ago when I was young and single and like many people didn't plan to stay, but did.
What I mean to say is that you're coming to this in a totally different way to me and to tell you the truth I think it's a lot tougher doing it your way round. Personally I wouldn't come over without a job. Being a driving instructor has been discussed on here before, so do a search. But I'd start thinking about any other talents you have ...
Finding the right area to live is also, of course, basic. Do you know Spain at all? Think about if you want an area with lots of Brits living around you, or a more Spanish area, coast or inland, north or south. Then you should come over as much as possible to suss out places taking into account the different seasons.
And then there's the language. You probably know that learning a language is a long term project. We're talking years, not weeks or months, so the sooner you get started the better and keep at it!
So, it's work, home, language in my opinion.

·
Administrator
36,705 Posts
Hi!
I came to Spain a long time ago when I was young and single and like many people didn't plan to stay, but did.
What I mean to say is that you're coming to this in a totally different way to me and to tell you the truth I think it's a lot tougher doing it your way round. Personally I wouldn't come over without a job. Being a driving instructor has been discussed on here before, so do a search. But I'd start thinking about any other talents you have ...
Finding the right area to live is also, of course, basic. Do you know Spain at all? Think about if you want an area with lots of Brits living around you, or a more Spanish area, coast or inland, north or south. Then you should come over as much as possible to suss out places taking into account the different seasons.
And then there's the language. You probably know that learning a language is a long term project. We're talking years, not weeks or months, so the sooner you get started the better and keep at it!
So, it's work, home, language in my opinion.
what she said:clap2:

we live here with our 2 kids - came here with them when they were a bit younger than yours - but things were different then

work is the big issue - especially at the moment

why not all start learning the language now, do some recce trips & look for work

I absolutely wouldn't come out right now without a definite job to go to - or if you were thinking of setting up yourself in something, without a lot more research into the specific work areas & enough cash to last a couple of years - & mean with no income!

·
Registered
123 Posts

thanks
Your wife will have a fair chance of getting a job in Gibraltar with her AAT. Does she also have experience? It is a possibility as there are jobs in accountancy in Gib. I know of a women who works in Gib doing accountancy and she says it pays OK.

She actually works while her husband does the school runs while trying to set something in IT / websites. They also look after a few rentals. They live in Spain near Gib.

I would recommend getting good at the language first and then come for a long trip to check out the job front in Gibraltar. It is hard to get into but once you're in, you'll be able to network. You really need to network down there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.