Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
We are moving to Spain in August and I will try to get a non working Visa. Do I have to apply for 2 visas or can my wife be on the same Visa application as a dependent. What I am asking do I have to provide 2 bank accounts of 26000 euros or just 1. Many thanks for any replies

·
Administrator
36,228 Posts
Hello everyone
We are moving to Spain in August and I will try to get a non working Visa. Do I have to apply for 2 visas or can my wife be on the same Visa application as a dependent. What I am asking do I have to provide 2 bank accounts of 26000 euros or just 1. Many thanks for any replies
Welcome.

One of you applies as the main applicant & the other as a dependent. So no, only one income needs to be shown, currently just under 26.000€ a year for the main applicant & just under 6.500€ a year per dependent.

There's note on the London Consulate website atm that it's closed until further notice due to covid.

·
Banned
50 Posts
You do not need a visa if you are from UK, Boris has sorted it. Who knows the purpose of your visit? Just land in Spain and make a residence application within 90 days.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It’s fact.
I think Jenny is saying that for short stays you do not need a visa to come to Spain and so the OP could come "on holiday" and during their holiday begin the process for residency. Although, I am not sure if that is accurate or not to be honest. I have not paid particular interest in the process as it doesnt apply to me but I believe the official guidance is to apply prior to coming.

Even if it would be technically possible to arrive as a tourist and then decide to stay, I think that it would be foolish to pack up and move with no certainty of acceptance and it would always be the best thing to ensure all the right paperwork is in order and processed/approved before getting on the plane. What if the application is declined or delayed etc and you are here with a 90 day limit? You would then be in the country "illegally", any insurance you have would be invalid and if you returned home late, i presume this would be stamped in the passport with potential issues in the future for overstaying your welcome!

But I am very keen to learn if this is official advice to just move and then submit applications?

·
Administrator
36,228 Posts
I think Jenny is saying that for short stays you do not need a visa to come to Spain and so the OP could come "on holiday" and during their holiday begin the process for residency. Although, I am not sure if that is accurate or not to be honest. I have not paid particular interest in the process as it doesnt apply to me but I believe the official guidance is to apply prior to coming.

Even if it would be technically possible to arrive as a tourist and then decide to stay, I think that it would be foolish to pack up and move with no certainty of acceptance and it would always be the best thing to ensure all the right paperwork is in order and processed/approved before getting on the plane. What if the application is declined or delayed etc and you are here with a 90 day limit? You would then be in the country "illegally", any insurance you have would be invalid and if you returned home late, i presume this would be stamped in the passport with potential issues in the future for overstaying your welcome!

But I am very keen to learn if this is official advice to just move and then submit applications?
Even if that's what she means it's not true.

Visa applications for British (& all other 3rd country) citizens have to be made - & approved - from the country of usual residence BEFORE travelling.

For British citizens gone are the days of rocking up & deciding to stay, sorting out the legalities sometime or other in the future, if ever.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

Visa applications for British (& all other 3rd country) citizens have to be made - & approved - from the country of usual residence BEFORE travelling.

For British citizens gone are the days of rocking up & deciding to stay.
Well, one thing she said here is very true... Boris sorted it... well, not sure if "sorted" is the word... more "screwed it up" jaja

·
Registered
39,034 Posts
Well, each EU country has its own procedure for dealing with third country nationals who wish to live, rather than just stay as tourist. Some countries like France require people like US citizens who don't require a visa to visit to apply for a long-stay visa first in the country of residence and then continue with residence requirement in France, by applying for residence permit at a préfecture. For Germany, US citizens and other non-visa nationals can just arrive as a visitor and then start their residence application at a foreigner's office (Ausländeramt). For Spain, the rule for third country nationals has been to apply for a long-stay visa in the country of residence first and then continue with residence permit at extranjeria. For British citizens following the Brexit transition period, each country will make its own arrangement, and for Spain it hasn't yet been finalised yet - some announcement is being expected possibly in February.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks xabiaxica,
Can I have the money in an English bank account as I will not get a Spanish account till I get to Spain.
Many thanks

·
Banned
50 Posts

Visa applications for British (& all other 3rd country) citizens have to be made - & approved - from the country of usual residence BEFORE travelling. (not true, excludes UK citizens)

For British citizens gone are the days of rocking up & deciding to stay, sorting out the legalities sometime or other in the future, if ever.
UK citizens who hold either a full UK passport or a BOTC, BOC, BPP or BS passport can travel freely to Spain.
UK citizens can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. If you wish to remain in Spain permanently you will need to apply for residency within Spain and within the first 90 days.

·
Administrator
36,228 Posts
UK citizens who hold either a full UK passport or a BOTC, BOC, BPP or BS passport can travel freely to Spain.
UK citizens can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. If you wish to remain in Spain permanently you will need to apply for residency within Spain and within the first 90 days.
That isn't the same as MOVING to Spain. Now that the withdrawal period is over, it is no longer possible to apply for a visa once you are in Spain. It MUST be applied for in your country of residence.

The residence visa must be in place before you travel.

·
Banned
50 Posts
That isn't the same as MOVING to Spain. Now that the withdrawal period is over, it is no longer possible to apply for a visa once you are in Spain. It MUST be applied for in your country of residence.

The residence visa must be in place before you travel.
Are you saying UK citizens cannot travel to Spain as a tourist and then change their mind, decide to stay and choose to make a resident application from within Spain?

·
Registered
39,034 Posts
Are you saying UK citizens cannot travel to Spain as a tourist and then change their mind, decide to stay and choose to make a resident application from within Spain?
There is I believe a discussion taking place between Spain and UK to finalise arrangement for UK citizens wanting to live in Spain post-Brexit, and vice-versa. While Spain normally requires third country nationals to apply for long-stay visa first before arriving, an exception can be made so that you can initiate residency application after arriving as visitor. I have heard that announcement may be due in February. Since residency for third country nationals is a national matter, Spain won't be breaking any EU rules by making an exception for UK citizens.

·
Banned
50 Posts
There is I believe a discussion taking place between Spain and UK to finalise arrangement for UK citizens wanting to live in Spain post-Brexit, and vice-versa. While Spain normally requires third country nationals to apply for long-stay visa first before arriving, an exception can be made so that you can initiate residency application after arriving as visitor. I have heard that announcement may be due in February. Since residency for third country nationals is a national matter, Spain won't be breaking any EU rules by making an exception for UK citizens.
Thank you Joppa. Why do some people just makeup garbage stories to try and mislead everyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you Joppa. Why do some people just makeup garbage stories to try and mislead everyone?
well you would know, wouldn't you?
why are you presenting something as fact when it is far from it and is still being decided?
until Spanish authorities declare otherwise, it would be foolish to come here with intention to reside without a visa and hope for the best.

·
Administrator
36,228 Posts
Do you have a source?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts