Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

I posted on here a few months ago about residency:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/1226889-applying-residency.html

It seems the thread went somewhat awry while I was otherwise occupied :eek:

Anyway, things have moved on a bit, and I am becoming more and more convinced that, in order to continue to enjoy the rights of an EU citizen (and in due course perhaps to renounce my British citizenship and apply for Spanish), I need to move to Spain in 2018. Failure to do this may, it seems, make it impossible to use Spanish healthcare (reimbursed by NHS) in future years. I want to live in Spain again, but my future income will unfortunately not allow me to afford private health insurance in Spain.

To do this, I have decided that the best option and to return to working as an EFL teacher in Spain, as I did for some years over 20 years ago (I am now 53). This has been tough, as my current job in the UK is fairly prestigious, and going back to EFL work in Spain will mean a cut in salary of about 75%, and (obviously) far worse working conditions.

I'm very interested to know what the take of Brits actually living in Spain now is on all this, and how our rights are likely to be affected by Brexit. From what I have gathered, it seems that current arrangements under which Brits' healthcare is reimbursed by the NHS will continue for those already resident in Spain (and presumably for those who are resident by March 2019)?

As you can imagine, it is a huge decision to make. All input gratefully received :)

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
I'm very interested to know what the take of Brits actually living in Spain now is on all this, and how our rights are likely to be affected by Brexit. From what I have gathered, it seems that current arrangements under which Brits' healthcare is reimbursed by the NHS will continue for those already resident in Spain (and presumably for those who are resident by March 2019)?

As you can imagine, it is a huge decision to make. All input gratefully received :)
The negotiations between the UK and the EU relating to citizens' rights are still ongoing and nothing has been formally agreed. So although we all have our fingers crossed that our healthcare will continue to be paid for by the UK, it is by no means definite. Sorry!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The negotiations between the UK and the EU relating to citizens' rights are still ongoing and nothing has been formally agreed. So although we all have our fingers crossed that our healthcare will continue to be paid for by the UK, it is by no means definite. Sorry!
Not that one can believe a word this bunch of liars and crooks say, but....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/31/brexit-healthcare-deal-is-good-news-for-pensioners

The article does appear to suggest that this is one of the few things that HAS been agreed (not that they couldn't mess even this up with their idiocy from this point on, of course!)

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Not that one can believe a word this bunch of liars and crooks say, but....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/31/brexit-healthcare-deal-is-good-news-for-pensioners

The article does appear to suggest that this is one of the few things that HAS been agreed (not that they couldn't mess even this up with their idiocy from this point on, of course!)
Yes, as a pensioner I was very relieved to see that. But although it looks likely those of use who are already getting our health cover will continue to do so, there's no guarantee it will apply to new applicants. It all depends what cut-off date is eventually agreed. And at 53 you are a long way from being a state pensioner.

If you are working in Spain though, you'll be making contributions here and will be covered by the Spanish system.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, obviously I'm thinking of in the future!

I can't see how they can possibly establish a cut-off date that is before March 2019 - when else could it be? That's why I'm thinking I need to be resident before that.

Presumably someone in your position who moves to Spain next week, gets legalised etc, would be in the same position as you?

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Yeah, obviously I'm thinking of in the future!

I can't see how they can possibly establish a cut-off date that is before March 2019 - when else could it be? That's why I'm thinking I need to be resident before that.

Presumably someone in your position who moves to Spain next week, gets legalised etc, would be in the same position as you?
You won't be entitled to an S1 & therefore have the UK fund your healthcare by March 2019 though.

I'll be very surprised if anyone not already in the position of having their healthcare funded at that date, will qualify.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You won't be entitled to an S1 & therefore have the UK fund your healthcare by March 2019 though.

I'll be very surprised if anyone not already in the position of having their healthcare funded at that date, will qualify.
And an S1 is not issued until one is retired, right? And if one takes early retirement in order to obtain the form?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Although I have lived in Spain for many years (I am currently a dependant on my husbands S1/NHS health care). I think it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to apply for my own NHS health care when I reach pension age (in 9 years time!!!!). I have requested clarification on this issue on numerous occasions from the UK Government with the usual bland response!!!! I think there must be quite a number of UK immigrants who are not working and are not of pension age that in future may have to purchase private health care.

Perhaps something to take into consideration before you make the move.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
And an S1 is not issued until one is retired, right? And if one takes early retirement in order to obtain the form?
It's linked to your state pension & is only issued when you qualify for that.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Although I have lived in Spain for many years (I am currently a dependant on my husbands S1/NHS health care). I think it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to apply for my own NHS health care when I reach pension age (in 9 years time!!!!). I have requested clarification on this issue on numerous occasions from the UK Government with the usual bland response!!!! I think there must be quite a number of UK immigrants who are not working and are not of pension age that in future may have to purchase private health care.

I am in the same position and have the same misgivings. I certainly won't be cancelling my private health insurance (which we had to have before we became entitled to S1s and kept on when my husband reached state pension age), just in case).

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts

Unless Spain changes the rules though, because you were registered resident before April 24 2012 ( I think you were? ) you will be entitled to Spanish healthcare in your own right, should it coem to that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Unless Spain changes the rules though, because you were registered resident before April 24 2012 ( I think you were? ) you will be entitled to Spanish healthcare in your own right, should it coem to that.
Yes thanks xabiachica, I am aware that I can apply for Spanish healthcare in my own right, but perhaps others are not as fortunate. It is just another incredibly annoying and frustrating thing about Brexit, that none of us planned for when relocating to Spain.

More frustrating for me is trying to get a response from an offical in the UK, I sent an email to the British Consulate in Spain and received a response that the British Consulate does not reply to emails and directing me to the Government website!!! I sent an email to David Davis and his reply must have been wrote by a 6 year old he even spelt Prime Minister wrong!!!! (Minster) :):).

But yet all that is heard on TV is that the British Government is focussed on protecting its own citizens rights:confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
[
, but my future income will unfortunately not allow me to afford private health insurance in Spain.

Remember in order to apply for Residencia you will have to show sufficient income and private health care or a contract of employment. (Not sure about autonomo, perhaps others can advise)

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Yes thanks xabiachica, I am aware that I can apply for Spanish healthcare in my own right, but perhaps others are not as fortunate. It is just another incredibly annoying and frustrating thing about Brexit, that none of us planned for when relocating to Spain.

More frustrating for me is trying to get a response from an offical in the UK, I sent an email to the British Consulate in Spain and received a response that the British Consulate does not reply to emails and directing me to the Government website!!! I sent an email to David Davis and his reply must have been wrote by a 6 year old he even spelt Prime Minister wrong!!!! (Minster) :):).

But yet all that is heard on TV is that the British Government is focussed on protecting its own citizens rights:confused:
I think they just don't know yet :( And probably won't until everything is done & dusted.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
[
, but my future income will unfortunately not allow me to afford private health insurance in Spain.

Remember in order to apply for Residencia you will have to show sufficient income and private health care or a contract of employment. (Not sure about autonomo, perhaps others can advise)
Yes, autónomo covers both the income & healthcare requirements.

You are of course actually expected to run a business & prove that you do, if you register as autónomo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
[

I will obviously be employed when I come to Spain and get (temporary) residency, so presumably won't need private cover at that point, or for the medium term.

Thanks for clarifying the S1 situation. I wonder whether it will make any difference being in Spain before March 2019 (apart from the fact that the bureaucracy for getting a work permit will presumably be a lot harder)? Would be interested to know people's take on this?

Honestly, though, I don't even care that much about the money anymore. Simply don't want to be in this country anymore, even if it does mean living in relative poverty!

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
I will obviously be employed when I come to Spain and get (temporary) residency, so presumably won't need private cover at that point, or for the medium term.

Thanks for clarifying the S1 situation. I wonder whether it will make any difference being in Spain before March 2019 (apart from the fact that the bureaucracy for getting a work permit will presumably be a lot harder)? Would be interested to know people's take on this?

Honestly, though, I don't even care that much about the money anymore. Simply don't want to be in this country anymore, even if it does mean living in relative poverty!
Most of us don't believe that anyone will be entitled to anything from the UK that they aren't already in receipt of on B day.

If you're going to be working in Spain, either on a contract, or registered as autónomo, then you will be entitled to state healthcare, & will eventually be entitled to a pension. With that pension will also come entitlement to state healthcare.

Should you stop work before retirement age, you might have to have private healthcare in the intervening years, depending on how long you work.

I'm not 100% certain though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the super-clear explanation :)

So can anyone think of a reason why it would be better to move before March 2019 (apart from the obvious ones of (a) more hassle getting a work permit - though I imagine Spanish "academias" will have to get used to this as there will be far fewer potential teachers) and (b) ever-declining value of the pound)?

Of course, I am hoping I shall get offered redundancy here.... that would make it a whole lot easier...

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Thanks for the super-clear explanation :)

So can anyone think of a reason why it would be better to move before March 2019 (apart from the obvious ones of (a) more hassle getting a work permit - though I imagine Spanish "academias" will have to get used to this as there will be far fewer potential teachers) and (b) ever-declining value of the pound)?

Of course, I am hoping I shall get offered redundancy here.... that would make it a whole lot easier...
Only the visa / work permit situation really.... if you're earning in Spain the value of the pound won't make any difference to you.

I'm not really convinced that many academies will go to the hassle of applying for visas for native English speaking teachers tbh

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only the visa / work permit situation really.... if you're earning in Spain the value of the pound won't make any difference to you.

I'm not really convinced that many academies will go to the hassle of applying for visas for native English speaking teachers tbh
Well, if it's anything like in "my day" (and I can't imagine it's changed that much), all the better academies (i.e. the only ones you might want to work for!) employed native speaker teachers. Snob appeal, almost certainly (I am quite sure a well-qualified Spaniard - or indeed Romanian! - can do the job just as well), but it has always been something middle-class parents want. I did this process before Maastricht, and I would say the hassle was more or less equally divided between employer and employee.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts