Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We are moving swiftly towards a move to the Bay Area in San Francisco with my husbands job - 2 year assignment in San Jose. We have 10 year old twins in year 5 here (Grade 4 US). I am very excited about this potential move. :D Can anyone offer any advice on :

1. Where is best to live in with children ? We would like a community feel with shops/cafes/ and a GOOD church !

2. Best schools - for sports and dealing with new expat children ? They currently go to a small CofE school - I know it's going to be a bigger school for them !

Also, any view points on pros and cons of moving abroad, particularly with children, would be great.

Thanks for any help on this greatly appreciated.

xx

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
A lot will depend on the budget you have, and what you want to rent (2 bedroom apartment - 5 bedroom detached house).

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
3-4 bed and around $5k - if poss ! $6k unlikely.....
Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Sunnyvale, Mountain View - all have churches, shopping areas etc. You will need a car to get around. All expensive in terms of renting.

Further south there is Morgan Hill, which, the last time I saw it, was burgeoning with new houses.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Better schools you can find via Zillow (the same site that shows rental properties) or Trulia (also has crime rates). Best schools are in the greater Cupertino Area bit be aware your kids will enter an extremely competitive environment.
Rental rates will be from 3.5K (far out San José/Milpitas) To 6-15K in the hills of los altos etc. Good locations are los gatos, seratoga, campbell.
If your work schedule is flexible you can even live in San Francisco (about 50 min- 1hr commute to San Jose) as you commute against traffic (as I do).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I think it's reaffirmed my belief that Los Gatos would be a good call for us. I did look at Cupertino but I don't think I'd like my children to be in a highly competitive environment - Tiger Mums and all that ! Thanks for the advice on which websites and the San Jose Mercury. We'll know more this week on whether this move is a definite goer. So hoping it is ! Thanks again. Kind regards, Deborah

·
Registered
343 Posts
For actually looking for properties you might use Craiglist. The real estate market is pretty crazy and that list is always up to date where the others are lagging behind once in a while. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts