Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am an expat living in Madrid for just over a year now and have decided to move South in preference for a better climate.
On my 2nd 'recky' I have viewed a very nice apartment in Riviera between Fuengirola and Marbella at what I think is a good price although it needs full refurbishment in the medium term. It has a nice view and is about 12 min walk from the nearest beach, which for me are 2 'must haves'.
Any comments / tips on the area from anybody local or otherwise would be much appreciated.
Me: Single male, fit fifties, like fishing sea shore walks,currently fair level of Spanish language.
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
642 Posts
We know the area very well, we've stayed on the wrong side of the coast road before, but never again. Don't write off La Cala either as it is beach side and has everything required to keep you ticking over. Without knowing your budget I can't really recommend anything specific, however there was a second line beach with fabulous sea views in the private part of Dona Lola. Gold Crown time share resorts cost circa €1200 p/a for 24/7 security, manicured gardens, regular external decor and indoor/outdoor pools, gymnasium etc, if my memory serves it was on the market in May this year at circa €180,000.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Riviera del sol

I have an apartment here and like every area there are goods and not so goods thankfully not many of the latter There are good places to eat and drink plenty of choice of shops etc. and al in all a great place to settle plus lots of felloe expats

Regards

Slatts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Crookesey and Slatts

Appreciated,
.... the apartment is far enough away from the coast road so as not to be imposed upon by the stress and noise, yet on a hight with a view to the East over the sea. Mature garden with pool, seems well maintained so fine for me. It does not have secure parking however but seems to be plenty of street parking available....should I have concerns about that ?
Also I have been told that the occupation can drop to 25/30% in winter as most owners are 2nd home owners...again I don't see a down side to this but would appreciate any input.
I note that all the older properties don't have central heating in preference to stand alone heaters ..... is this adequate ?
The coast road is

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moving to Riviera

Hi, I know this area well. You have the Mas supermarket at the end of the hill and Open Cor which is open on Sundays and til late all year.
I wouldnt be worried about on street parking.
Occupancy can drop a lot its true. Though Davids bar, Georges, the Cafe around the corner from Georges, Internet Cafe in the Riviera Mall remain busy with expats and locals all year round.
Basically, you would be able to get out and go somewhere and be surrounded by others all year round. It isnt a ghost town in the entire area.
It does get cold here in winter. You may need to seal your windows/draught exclude better. Electric heaters can be expensive. A gas heater may be a more economical choice.
I used Briteman properties to help me originally and Brian was super.
It is quite an English speaking area though has a nice mix. Plenty to keep you busy here year round.
Easy drive to La Cala, Fuengirola or Marbella

·
Banned
642 Posts
Hi Crookesey and Slatts

Appreciated,
.... the apartment is far enough away from the coast road so as not to be imposed upon by the stress and noise, yet on a hight with a view to the East over the sea. Mature garden with pool, seems well maintained so fine for me. It does not have secure parking however but seems to be plenty of street parking available....should I have concerns about that ?
Also I have been told that the occupation can drop to 25/30% in winter as most owners are 2nd home owners...again I don't see a down side to this but would appreciate any input.
I note that all the older properties don't have central heating in preference to stand alone heaters ..... is this adequate ?
The coast road is
It sounds as though it's been used as a holiday home, electric central heating will be very expensive to run. Riviera del Sol has always been the poor man's Miraflores, if I were you I'd take a pen and paper and walk on the beach from Cabapino to La Cala, taking note of every for sale sign.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It sounds as though it's been used as a holiday home, electric central heating will be very expensive to run. Riviera del Sol has always been the poor man's Miraflores, if I were you I'd take a pen and paper and walk on the beach from Cabapino to La Cala, taking note of every for sale sign.
My parents lived at Riviera del Sol. They had a beautiful place with lovely neighbours. There was nothing poor about it. They were members of the Miraflores bowls club and I used to fly over from the UK to compete in competitions. I accept in those days it was before the last housing boom, but some restaurants are still there. We knew several owners of bars and restaurants and there was always a great atmosphere. They are both still in Spain, but not this world!

·
Banned
642 Posts
My parents lived at Riviera del Sol. They had a beautiful place with lovely neighbours. There was nothing poor about it. They were members of the Miraflores bowls club and I used to fly over from the UK to compete in competitions. I accept in those days it was before the last housing boom, but some restaurants are still there. We knew several owners of bars and restaurants and there was always a great atmosphere. They are both still in Spain, but not this world!
It was better when the time-share element was in it's pomp, IMHO the only place to buy these days is either beach front side of the road or in a village such as Benalmadena Pueblo. We knew a couple who swore by Riviera del Sol many years ago, you can pick up an apartment up for circa €60K these days.

Sorry about your parents, you only ever have the two, I've got zero as well.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It was better when the time-share element was in it's pomp, IMHO the only place to buy these days is either beach front side of the road or in a village such as Benalmadena Pueblo. We knew a couple who swore by Riviera del Sol many years ago, you can pick up an apartment up for circa €60K these days.

Sorry about your parents, you only ever have the two, I've got zero as well.
We did think when we moved to Spain over 10 years ago about buying an apartment there, but we were saddened to see how busy the whole of the Mijas Costa had become, so we went the other side of Malage, 15 kilometres inland to a rural area and bought a villa. Traffic is less, people in general are less, the locals are amazingly friendly and so helpful.
We have relatives in the Marbella to Estepona area. After a visit I'm always glad to get away from all that traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for coming back woth your views, … I have have done an awfull lot of musing over the last few days and clearly need a 3rd recky to the area . Hence coming down tomorrow Tuesday again. (with my tail between my legs with a local estate agent, I pretty much told him I would buy an apartment )
Madrid is currently in the full throngs of its sweet spot weather – perfectly sunny dry days, just right and am loath to leave (in 3 weeks time it turns )
I feel I will be making that beach walk between La Cala and Calapino with my note book, good to at least hear of it. My suspicean is that my budget will tend to suggest 2nd tear off the beach since I like a bit of space for my money.
A clear uplifting view is valuable to me Riviera seems good enough ..
Thanks for the Briteman mention , I will be seeing some offerings from them.

A clear down side for me here is the poor public transport communications link to Fuengirola. I need to make regular visits there to avail of the cuple of excellent organic health food shops (got a health issue -long storey!) but getting a car will become a priority.

The soonest you mention your plans here to anyone the next thing they advise a completely different ‘have you looked at A B or C’ ....................... !!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why not just rent for a while and then you can have a real good look round. A few thousand euros spent on rent may save you a hell of a lot more if you make the wrong decision on a property. Also the euro may gain in value. Not holding my breath on that one though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spoke to a some people at the bus stop when I was looking around there, ....
I am coming down again today and will view a bit more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your best bet is try to rent the house property that you have an eye on. Ask the agent you never know. They maybe able to swing it for you with a view to buy. Buenas suertas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried that , they are not interested ,...... have now looked at another one in the complex and will see another one tomorrow,...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks , I will .......... doing a lot of thinking at the moment and need to come to lobby for internet,. also am driving around a lot

·
Registered
363 Posts
We are currently looking to long term rent in La Cala........I have fallen in love with the place.

Unfortunately, so has everyone else - it is, therefore, proving difficult:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts