Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been offered a job in Perth and I would like a little bit of advice before I decided whether to accpet or not.

It'll be me and my wife (and westie) and my wife will be looking for work, however if there's a bit of time until she gets work how much would I need to be earning to keep us in a good quality of life. We're not big spenders but like to go out a few times a month and would be looking to rent a reasonable sized place in a decent area.

Also can anyone suggest which areas are better than others.

Obviously it's a big move and we don't really know anybody so can anybody suggest good ways to meet people. Is there an expat club or the like?

Thanks
Stu

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Stu,

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps if you do a search on the forum, you'll come up with some answers re good and not so good places to live. We have members who live there so hopefully they'll give you some advice.

Perth is one of those places you either love or hate. I visited there recently and thought Perth itself was very nice. The suburbs though appeared to be McMansion after McMansion so not our cup of tea. Plus it's very expensive to live there, second only to Sydney.

But the beaches are beautiful and I loved Freemantle.

Have a look on realestate.com.au for ideas on rentals and what you'll get for your money. I always use the 'street' view so you can get an idea of what the property is really like and also the area.

Congratulations on the job offer, what an opportunity for you and your wife!

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Stu

welcome to the forum. congratulations for securing a job. not many get this opportunity :)

as for the cost, check the cost of living thread. from what I have gathered so far, for a moderate living standard you need about 3000A$ per month for everything (a couple) and when i say moderate i mean no luxury, house rental 1000-1200/month etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I know the info is out there but as it's such a big move, I thought I had to put the question out there myself.

It sounds like we'll be ok if my wife doesn't get work straight away, as long as she doesn't get too used to it though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

My fiancee is an Australian citizen and lives in Ellenbrook which is a suburb north east of Perth(not near the beach but in the hills), and she loves it there. Nice community for children and young families. The houses and block sizes are large and rent is about AUD350-400 per week.
Dont hesitate to ask if you would like to ask more questions and good luck if you decide to move.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts