Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are a british couple and my partner has a new job based at Charles De Gaulle airport. Where would the best places be to live? either driving or public transport to the airport. :confused:

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Sorry, but this really is too much of an open-ended question.

Do you want town or country? Do you need accommodation for other family members? Do you need easy access to amenities or are you prepared to travel for miles to get what you need? Likely budget? - just for starters!

I mean, theoretically, you could live near Stansted, Gatwick or Luton (or probably any one of another UK airports) and commute every day straight into CdG, and probably get very good flight tariffs .... or noting you're currently in Italy (Salerno? - from previous posts?), stay put and check out the cheap flight availabilities. Accommodation in the Paris area is highly desirable (= expensive) especially if it's within non-hassle distance of a place of work.

hils

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

1) To start off with town, don't want to be remote and I would like to be able get out and about to meet people. He is prepared to drive 30mins to 45 mins to CdG
2) Its just the 2 of us
3) As we will be new to the country, I would like to be within easy acess of amenities, as I will not be driving.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Commuting to Roissy (the local name for the airport CDG) is going to be a "challenge" at the best of times. Personally, I'd probably recommend living somewhat north of the airport - a little farther out in the countryside - but that puts you outside the usual sources of public transport, and if you're not driving, that could leave you kind of stranded.

The northern side of Paris tends to be very built up, congested and not really the greatest of neighborhoods. Public transport tends to run into and out of Paris (all of France is done up in "star" patterns like that - apparently it was Napoleon's idea.).

You might try looking to the east of Paris. Your partner would have to drive on back roads to get to and from the airport, unless s/he wanted to take the train into Paris and then change for the trains out to the airport. But you'd have a better chance at getting into and out of Paris, with all its amenities and attractions.

Take a look at the big Paris area transit map Plan Interactif des transports en Ile-de-France to see which towns have train service. Or, consider Paris itself. Can't get handier to all the amenities than that and your partner has the option to commute via public transport.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.