Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In August (2012) I'll be moving to Paris with my wife. I recently got a job in the education sector and will be teaching. Hopefully my wife will be teaching in Paris, too.
We're just wondering what arrondissements would be good to move into. I'll need to be close to the RER A (west) and at the moment we're in two minds about Living in St Germain en Laye or closer to Paris (maybe 17eme?15eme?...)

Any ideas/suggestion/advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

EB

·
Administrator
50,010 Posts
Paris is a city of neighborhoods, and there are both good and bad areas in the same arrondissement. The western arrondissements and the western suburbs do have the reputation for being somewhat tonier - and thus generally run pretty expensive when it comes to accommodation.

Best of all would be to make an exploratory run to see which areas strike your fancy.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks

Paris is a city of neighborhoods, and there are both good and bad areas in the same arrondissement. The western arrondissements and the western suburbs do have the reputation for being somewhat tonier - and thus generally run pretty expensive when it comes to accommodation.

Best of all would be to make an exploratory run to see which areas strike your fancy.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks! I'm planning to visit in a couple of months so hopefully I'll get a clearer idea but I do need to target areas as the visit will be short due to work committments.

Thanks a lot. Look forward to hearing more suggestions and advice.

EB

G

·
I live in the 17th arr...absolutely love it... I can walk to Champs Elysee in 10-15 mins....the quality of life in 17th is really amazing...we have the most beautiful Parc Monceau in Paris....there are amazing restaurants, and contrary to what everyone thinks - it isn't all that much more expensive to live compared to the 11th or 12th or 15th which are more "animated" areas. Another favourite area of mine is avenue Mozart in the 16th...go visit it once...it's very elegant very upscale and very clean....and still cheaper housing that the 1,2,3,4,5,6, 7 arrondissments.

Mind you though - the 16th is very quiet...so if you are the outgoing types then move to the 17th...it's easier to get to a lot of places if you live around 17th....explore the areas around Parc Moceau, and metro Villers...or even Ternes / Wagram are very nice areas....if you like a "village" kind of feel then go look at "rue des Batignolles" and explore the area around Batignolles square - also very charmant and full of amazing restaurants.

Before I used to live in the 4th right next to place des vosges and didn't like it so much there...way too crowded and too many tourists, and the restaurants suck in the center.. in the 17th you can get cheap food but really amazing food...because this is not a touristy district - it's more real and full of local parisians.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in the 17th arr...absolutely love it... I can walk to Champs Elysee in 10-15 mins....the quality of life in 17th is really amazing...we have the most beautiful Parc Monceau in Paris....there are amazing restaurants, and contrary to what everyone thinks - it isn't all that much more expensive to live compared to the 11th or 12th or 15th which are more "animated" areas. Another favourite area of mine is avenue Mozart in the 16th...go visit it once...it's very elegant very upscale and very clean....and still cheaper housing that the 1,2,3,4,5,6, 7 arrondissments.

Mind you though - the 16th is very quiet...so if you are the outgoing types then move to the 17th...it's easier to get to a lot of places if you live around 17th....explore the areas around Parc Moceau, and metro Villers...or even Ternes / Wagram are very nice areas....if you like a "village" kind of feel then go look at "rue des Batignolles" and explore the area around Batignolles square - also very charmant and full of amazing restaurants.

Before I used to live in the 4th right next to place des vosges and didn't like it so much there...way too crowded and too many tourists, and the restaurants suck in the center.. in the 17th you can get cheap food but really amazing food...because this is not a touristy district - it's more real and full of local parisians.....
Thanks a lot for this! It sounds very interesting and right up to our street. Having a look at the map/metro map/RER A map Villiers is well located. Also, I've been recommended Ternes as a very lovely area so will be checking these out.
What would be average renting cost? I know it will differ a lot depending on the property, but we'll be looking at a 2 piece appartment (1 bedroom, 1 sejour/kitchen, bathroom) or similar. Is it possible to find them partly furnished? or at least with an equiped kitchen? I've read that many kitchens aren't equiped (just a sink!).

Thanks a million!
EB

·
Administrator
50,010 Posts
Thanks a lot for this! It sounds very interesting and right up to our street. Having a look at the map/metro map/RER A map Villiers is well located. Also, I've been recommended Ternes as a very lovely area so will be checking these out.
What would be average renting cost? I know it will differ a lot depending on the property, but we'll be looking at a 2 piece appartment (1 bedroom, 1 sejour/kitchen, bathroom) or similar. Is it possible to find them partly furnished? or at least with an equiped kitchen? I've read that many kitchens aren't equiped (just a sink!).

Thanks a million!
EB
Furnished apartments fall under a different section of the law and are rented out as "vacation rentals" (i.e. usually by the week and for shorter term). Only unfurnished apartments can be rented out under the standard 3 year lease. That said, the state of the kitchen can be anything from bare walls to fully equipped, with both cabinets and appliances. At least in France you're likely to at least have a sink in the kitchen - in Germany that was something you often have to provide yourself!
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
The average price for a 1 bedroom 40sq meter in this area is anywhere between 900-1500 depending on the quality, location etc...and yes most apartments in Paris come fully furnished. You can look for long term rentals on Immobilier (location, vente) : 500 000 annonces immobilières | Explorimmo and Petites annonces immobilières | 1er site immobilier français | Portail immo.

It is also possible to find a 3 room 60sq meter for under 1500 in this area but you may have to look hard for that. If you look at apartments online - just avoid anything that is near "guy moquet" in this are - that is not the nice part of 17th.

·
Administrator
50,010 Posts
..and yes most apartments in Paris come fully furnished. .
I would challenge this statement. And also recommend that, if your French is up to it, you check out the section on Service Public that clarifies the differences between a furnished and and unfurnished rental:

Logement meublé relevant du secteur privé - Service-public.fr
Logement vide relevant du secteur privé - Service-public.fr

The two types of rental fall under different laws and as the Service Public site mentions, there are far fewer protections accorded the tenant in a "location meublé" than when you go for a "location vide."
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
Bev - if you do a search in PARIS - most apartments will come up as furnished rentals - I guess this is because a furnished rental offers more protection to the landlord, but I have seen many furnished rentals that are offering 1 year or more leases. Maybe in other parts of France outside Paris things are different but in Paris there seems to be a high level of rental fraud so landlords are extra cautious however if you do nothing wrong with the apartment and buy full insurance as well as pay on time - they dont really bother you or ask you to leave anytime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all really helpful! Thanks a lot. I like the idea of Ternes, etc. We'll be checking them out at the end of June (hopefully!) and having a browse on the internet I'm happy to see that there is a lot out there with equiped kitchens.
I guess it depends on areas, budget, etc.

Any more ideas, still welcome and appreciated! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Driving

Hi

Thank you for your insights. So far I have been only discouraged from settling in western Paris due to high costs. I would like to ass you what is your experience/opinion on driving/parking in western Paris compare to let's say suburbs.
Thanks
Rasto

G

·
I think you are really misinformed about "western paris" in thinking it is higher costs than elsewhere in Paris, for example in the 11th arr. there are areas around Bastille / Republique which are actually more expensive than the most elegant beautiful and clean parts of the 16th.

The 17th is a bit expensive but certainly not more than 11th or 12th - and cost of Parking is more or less the same all over Paris around 200-300 euros a month in a Garage. Street Parking is difficult everywhere in Paris except for very few areas of the 16th like Autueil which is not at all expensive and very elegant, clean but boring.

The only areas of Paris that are cheap are some dangerous parts of the 10th, 19th, 20th and 18th - I personally would never live in those areas and they aren't even that much cheaper to be justified.

If you want to really live in the suburbs then check out Saint Cloud or Levallois-Perret - they are also quite close to Paris but rents are only about 1/3rd cheaper than Paris. Saint Cloud is a nice suburb but I would die from depression if I lived there - it's way too dead for me but may be ok if you are a couple, it's nice and clean and easy to drive around...feels more like some town in New Jersey than France.

G

·
Also the most expensive area of Paris is the 6th arr....and 7th... as well as parts of 8th right around Champs Elysee or Triangle-d'or (avenue matignon / montaigne). The 16th and 17th are really not more expensive in my opinion than many areas of the 11th and12th or 15th etc. In fact the 1,2,3,4 arrs. are also much more expensive than the 16th and 17th.

Here is a link showing average house buying prices in Paris which gives you an idea of the most and least expensive arr... again it;s tricky because in each arr. there are good and bad areas - for example the 11th arr. has an average price of 8000 euro / sq meter but there are apartments in the 11th which have sold for even 11,000 euro a sq meter (close to Marais) and the 16th has an average price of 10,000 euros appx. but there are parts of the 16th which have sold for 7000 euros a sq meter (around Autueil which is still very nice but completely boring). Average prices in Paris don't matter anymore as I think it depends on the exact location, style of apartment, condition of building etc which determines the final cost wherever you are. 19th and 20th are the cheapest because they have some pretty rough areas where I would never go anyway.

Prix immobilier Paris (75)

Rental costs are more or less in equation to the buying costs in Paris and again all depends on the style, renovation, building condition, floor etc. You can find a 30 s meter apartment in the 3rd arr. for 900 a month and in the same street there could be the same size 30sq meter apartment with a high standard of renovation in a better building or better floor for 2000 a month.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you are really misinformed about "western paris" in thinking it is higher costs than elsewhere in Paris, for example in the 11th arr. there are areas around Bastille / Republique which are actually more expensive than the most elegant beautiful and clean parts of the 16th.

The 17th is a bit expensive but certainly not more than 11th or 12th - and cost of Parking is more or less the same all over Paris around 200-300 euros a month in a Garage. Street Parking is difficult everywhere in Paris except for very few areas of the 16th like Autueil which is not at all expensive and very elegant, clean but boring.

The only areas of Paris that are cheap are some dangerous parts of the 10th, 19th, 20th and 18th - I personally would never live in those areas and they aren't even that much cheaper to be justified.

If you want to really live in the suburbs then check out Saint Cloud or Levallois-Perret - they are also quite close to Paris but rents are only about 1/3rd cheaper than Paris. Saint Cloud is a nice suburb but I would die from depression if I lived there - it's way too dead for me but may be ok if you are a couple, it's nice and clean and easy to drive around...feels more like some town in New Jersey than France.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, I actually did not mention that I am moving to Paris with my family including 2 small kids. So boring is sort of Ok to me :) ..The only reason I was looking into renting in 16th is because I will be working in Monceau area and I have been dreaming about living near the place I work for ages. Now in London I spend 1h and 15 min commuting one way. Lucky me I do not work overtimes. The tricky thing is that the most areas close (to Monceau) suitable for family to settle down are pretty expensive - even adjacent suburbs. It looks like affordable renting starts somewhere from zone 3 i.e. Asnieres etc. The other suprise is that it looks like that "commuting times" are very simmilar regardless whether you commute from zone 5 or zone 3 due to availability of fast trains
So I need to really give it bit a more thought.
cheers anyway

G

·
How much do you want to spend on rent per month and how big a space do you need exactly?? If you let me know, I can guide you better then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How much do you want to spend on rent per month and how big a space do you need exactly?? If you let me know, I can guide you better then.
In terms of space I 'd like to rent something with no less area than 50m2 - not necessarily much bigger either, 2 bedrooms. Cannot afforrd to spend more than 1500 a month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.