Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Newbie. Will be there on Lundi, 29th May to try to find a place to live for one year with a potential to extend.

I do not want to live in Paris but will have to commute there. Can anyone please offer some advice on any suburbs or other areas for a a small family (Husband and labrador and myself)?

Also, does anyone do any expat meet ups? That would be great if we can come by while we are there.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Merci

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
Depends a bit on exactly where in Paris you'll be commuting to. You may want to check the RATP (i.e. transit system) maps to see which lines connect most directly to wherever it is you'll be working. (The killer in commuting seems to be the transfer from one line to another - find a place to live where you've got a direct line and you're way ahead of the game.)

That said, the western suburbs of Paris tend to be preferred by the expats, particularly the anglophone expats. The western side does, also, tend to be expensive, because many expats are subsidized by their employers.

If you're planning on moving with your furniture and household belongings, you'll find that unfurnished rentals come with 3-year leases (though you can move out sooner as long as you give proper notice - usually 3 months). To rent for "just" a year, you may be looking at furnished places (where there are, understandably, more concerns about a large dog).

Personally, I'd avoid the suburbs just north of Paris - tends to be the "disadvantaged" areas. South and East are generally pretty reasonable - and if you don't mind a rather long-ish commute you can get into farm country, with land and wildlife and all. If you'll be needing access to the airports, you've got Orly to the south, but mostly just for European flights. Getting to Roissy (CDG) from the south or east of Paris can be a hassle, at least by public transit or airport limo/coach service. Driving is often the only practical way to go.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Merci

I really appreciate you responding to me. I will be attending a private speciality school, No one is subsidizing us so, we are on a budget.

I am off to the airport now and am a bit nervous about what we shall find if any. I've lived in many other continents before sans EU. I speak French as if I were a 10 year old, but I am sure I shall remember how to speak better once I am there.

Thank you for being so kind to respond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.