Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Australia has strict rules on pre-qualification experience and even with CDR, we can't claim points for pre-qualification experience.

But NZ's official points calculator claims that I can claim points by deducting 5 years of experience for a qualification.

If you don’t have a relevant recognised qualification, you must have completed relevant work experience specified by the ANZSCO for that occupation before the period for which you are claiming work experience points. For any skill level 1 occupation, you can substitute the qualification specified by the ANZSCO with 5 years of work experience (even if the ANZSCO does not state this).
I have 7 years of pre-qualification experience, so I believe I could get 2 years of experience. With 2 years of experience, I get around 110 points. Do you think I should wait 2 more years and apply? I can wait another 3 years because afterwards, I'll lose points for the age.

I have completed a Professional Graduate Diploma by British Computer society (which requires PAR assessment) and Masters in Software Engineering by Kingston University UK (Sep 2018, Nov 2018).

Can someone enlighten me on this situation please, it would be a good idea to submit EOI or should I just forget the NZ dream :)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,891 Posts
I'd leave it alone for the moment. Unless you score 160 points minimum you have zero chance of EOI selection. It would just be a waste of time and money. You also need a job offer in NZ, OR skilled work experience in NZ, OR Qualifying study experience in NZ (in addition to at least 160 points) or you won't be approved.

Reactions: NZ1983Seeker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd leave it alone for the moment. Unless you score 160 points minimum you have zero chance of EOI selection. It would just be a waste of time and money. You also need a job offer in NZ, OR skilled work experience in NZ, OR Qualifying study experience in NZ (in addition to at least 160 points) or you won't be approved.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm applying for jobs via seek. Let's see what the future holds for me. Fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts