Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am moving to NYC next month as a DV winner. In profession i am Chartered Accountant in local body. Further i got qualified in CPA Australia.

I just want to know about my career path in NYC. Can i find any job related to the accounting field.

What are the exams that i can do in order to get more changes in finding jobs and earnings.

Your thoughts welcome.

thanks

·
Administrator
50,453 Posts
Depends on your experience, but as a Chartered Accountant/ foreign CPA, you can probably find (or at least be considered for) a job doing accounting in the industry or service sector. If you want to work as a CPA in the US, you can contact the state CPA association about taking the US CPA exams to get your US CPA qualification.

You'll probably want to emphasize your international experience and shoot for companies that have international offices and subsidiaries.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your experience, but as a Chartered Accountant/ foreign CPA, you can probably find (or at least be considered for) a job doing accounting in the industry or service sector. If you want to work as a CPA in the US, you can contact the state CPA association about taking the US CPA exams to get your US CPA qualification.

You'll probably want to emphasize your international experience and shoot for companies that have international offices and subsidiaries.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev for your comment. What are the sources of finding jobs.

thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you are still in this early stage of job exploration, is it a good idea to move within a month? You have enough funds available to survive for > 6 months in New York without a job?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
You can start to get an idea by looking at temporary housing options. Columbia University has a good list here. That'll be helpful to give you an idea of the first month, especially.

Have you prepared a budget? That'd be a good idea. Include housing, transportation ($2.75 per ride on the New York City subway), food, insurance and medical care, clothes (for winter and job interviews, as examples), mobile phone (look here for SIM card providers -- choose providers on the AT&T or T-Mobile networks -- and bring an unlocked GSM mobile phone that at least includes support for 850 and 1900 MHz bands), fees (state ID card, green card), etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts