Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving to Montpellier in August with my wife and 2 young children.

My son is 6 and will go to a French school and my daughter who is nearly 2 will eventually go to nursery.

I appreciate that this is a subjective subject, but can anyone advise on nice areas in and around Montpellier?

We are looking for an attractive area with good schools and things to do for the kids, such as sports clubs. We don't mind if this is inside Montpellier or in a smaller nearby town.

Any help or advice much appreciated..

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

Well as you say it's all subjective. It also depends on your budget and what kind of lifestyle you want. There're pro and cons and also take into consideration communting.
Well you can have the sea side lifestyle within 20min (out of traffic) of Montpellier but summer season brings a lot of tourist and a lot of queues. You can have the city lifestyle (try to avoid anything that's in Montpellier nord area "north of montpellier" cause it's the "Hot area" with tower buildings. Montpellier south, and ouest are the more family friendly areas.
As for the school, unless you go for a private one, your child has to go to the one allocated for the area. For your younger one there are nurseries but usualy with long waiting list. The best bet is to look for a child minder (they can look after up to 3 under 3 kids at a time including there own).
For sports and activities Montpellier is quite central to the beach and to the mountain and there are usualy lots of after school activities even for young children during the school year.
If you need more specific answer just ask.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for coming back to me..
In terms of commuting it's not an issue for me as I work from home, so that gets rid of one problem.
We're looking to rent a house with a garden so areas with all apartments blocks are not really good for us.
I spoke to someone else about Montpellier recently and they said that the North and East were nicer areas, and to avoid the West of the city.. Just shows again how subjective it all is..
Another area that was mentioned to me is Castelnau-Le-Lez.
Do you know anything about this area?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well there's north of montpellier and montpellier north. The funny thing is that the northern area of montpellier is the rough area, but the villages at the border of montpellier north are the "posh" like Grabel, St Gely du Fesc cause they're off the road to all the hospital and "colonised" by most of the doctor's.

As I said it depends on what kind of lifestyle you want, Castelnau is a good area, but a bit pricey cause it's almost like being in montpellier and for a house with a garden you're probably looking at 1000 euros + a month.
To give you indication, my parents live 30 min away from montpellier (off peak time) and they are in a little village of 400 people but still within reach of amenities.
There are also lots of people around sommieres in area 30 but at the border of area 34 so still about 30min from montpellier.
If you find something and want advice just ask

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in a village, West of Montpellier after spending two years getting to know the area.

Castelnau was also recommended to me but my preference for a family are the villages, Laverune, (good school) St Georges, st Jean vedas and Juvigac (being a new town with all facilities and now a tramway).

All these places have good family homes with gardens that seem ideal and not too pricey, compared to the centre of town.

I have two kids, 7 and 5 and after a year here in Montpellier, I want to settle at this side.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.