Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ExPats!!

I'm so excited to have an opportunity to move to France:)! My husband's company is relocating him to Europe and we chose Montpellier based on location (wanted a warmer climate) and the language (we both have basic french that we hope will improve during our time in France). As much as we are excited for the move we are also scared :eek:.
We have done some research and realize renting a furnished short-term apartment in central Montpellier would be best for us. Then we can figure out where to live and how to get around.

Any kind advise is so welcomed by you!!! Please advise us on tips to relocate and first steps to take!! I have an appointment with the France Consulate late June but since my husband has an EU passport I may be granted a work visa and residence visa with him...true or false?

Thanks in advance!!
Shawna

·
Administrator
50,396 Posts
Technically, if he has an EU passport (non-French), then you don't need an appointment at the consulate. You should be able to enter on a 90 day Schengen visa (i.e. the old stamp in the passport "tourist" visa) and then apply for a carte de séjour within the first two months you are in France. (You'll need the dated entry stamp in your passport to validate your date of entry.)

As the spouse of an EU national, you're entitled to all the same rights as your spouse - which includes being able to work. (No guarantees, however, about being able to find a job.)

This is the info in French Citoyen européen ou suisse : installer sa famille proche en France - Service-public.fr
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Bev!!
That info will help out immensely. Your responses to all the people on this forum have been very beneficial.
I hope I can get a job, I am a zumba instructor and have a two degrees, one in child studies and the other in homeopathy which I understand I will not be able to practice abroad but could get a job at a pharmacy if my french improves (I use to be fluent).

So my next concern will be finding a temporary home for us. I can look through your previous posts and find a link for vacation homes/apartments for short term or if you wouldn't mind reposting them I would be grateful.

Also, when we arrive in Montpellier what is the FIRST thing we should do? Get a bank account? Find the exPat community? Are there places that I should look to volunteer? I really want to experience France. Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
50,396 Posts
I'm going to have to ask the regulars here on the forum to suggest the best places to look for vacation housing. Normally, it's the standard "want ad" type websites: seloger, and such, but I'm not sure which ones have short-term (i.e. furnished) rentals.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Just google holiday homes France and vacation rentals France. You can add Montpellier to the search if you wish, but just France will bring up the major sites. The advantage to doing the search in English is that you will get sites that are used to dealing with overseas visitors, which can make things a lot easier when it comes to making enquiries and reserving.
If you are happy to google in French, then do a search for location saisonniere.

This is a search I did through VRBO VRBO - Montpellier Vacation Rentals.

Be aware that much will depend on your arrival date - if you're arriving during the French summer holiday season, you will find holiday rentals are relatively scarce. Once you get to mid September or so, holiday rentals are easier to find, rents start to fall, and you can often find rentals for a longer term. I would suggest it could take you 3 months or so to find a permanent rental that suits you.

Edit: Have just noticed you say you are moving in the fall, that should be a good time for the holiday rental.

BTW I drove from Vitrolles to Pau yesterday and, whilst it was a beautifully sunny day, there were really violent winds between Arles, which only petered out around Carcassonne. There were warnings about the winds all along the AutoRoute, athough in Vitrolles we only had a vary light breeze. The moral of that story is, always be prepared for unexpected high winds in the south :)

Definitely open a bank account as soon as you arrive - you will need to make an appointment to do so, but you will find a bank account is essential.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you EverHopeful!! We are looking forward to the move and the change in weather!! I will look into the holiday rentals to start for us and then as we get more comfortable with the area look for more permanent housing.

I am from Southern Ontario (which is the same latitude as Montpellier) and was wondering if the weather in the winter is cold?? I thought the south of France was warm all year round (but I am naive about Europe).

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thank you EverHopeful!! We are looking forward to the move and the change in weather!! I will look into the holiday rentals to start for us and then as we get more comfortable with the area look for more permanent housing.

I am from Southern Ontario (which is the same latitude as Montpellier) and was wondering if the weather in the winter is cold?? I thought the south of France was warm all year round (but I am naive about Europe).
Occasionally there is snow in the south during winter, but only occasionally. I wouldn't say it's warm all year round though, but then, it really depends on what you consider warm, cold ... The south is milder in winter than many other locations, but certainly cool enough for people to wear scarves, coats and the like and to need to heat their homes during the colder months. BTW climates seem to be changing globally and France is no exception, and here too intense weather events are becoming more frequent.

·
Administrator
50,396 Posts
You can't go by latitude alone. Boston (where I'm from) is on the same latitude as Madrid, in Spain, and let's just say the climate is not at all comparable.

Montpellier is in the more temperate part of France, but as EH has mentioned, in recent years things are definitely changing. This past winter Montpellier had flooding that it hasn't seen before. But the weather there is nothing like Southern Ontario. (It's definitely warmer.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Yes, and it flooded repeatedly (really flooded, right through the middle of the city). No sooner was the first flood over, than it flooded again - but that isn't normal and let's hope it doesn't become so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Shawna,
I am from Toronto area originally. I don't live in Montpellier...but not far- only 1.5 hrs away. I do get to Montpelier once in a while! Anyway- wish you the best and a smooth transfer over here! Winter here is quite different than Canada. It is a lot shorter and much warmer...and more sun too ;)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts