Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Since February is the best season for finding jobs down under, all those who are planning to move to Melbourne starting this Feb'15-March'15, let's network here. I am from Mumbai, India and I myself am planning to move to Melbourne on 16-Feb-2015. I have already booked a ticket with Singapore airlines for that day. We would all have common situations and problems to face and solve, possibly the most common ones being the below. Let us connect on these, if you are in a similar situation or have got a solution/advice. All your inputs would really be appreciated:

JOBS:
I am a software engineer specializing in Java/J2EE/Oracle technologies. I would also look out for a job once I land there; however, I am already networking with recruiters from here so that it would be a bit easy once I land.

ACCOMMODATION:
I am a bachelor guy and currently looking out for a place to share in Melbourne. I was hunting that on Gumtree but after not getting even a single response back on my replies to ads, came to know that Gumtree blocks your replies if you are connecting from outside Australia based on your IP address. It also does not allow you to see the phone numbers of ad-posters if you are accessing it from outside. If there is anyone who needs a roomie or is in a similar situation pls connect.

FINANCES:
As far I finances are concerned, I have my account here in Citibank and SBI. And I am planning to open an account in NAB or ANZ (not decided which one though) before I land there and transfer around 4000$ in it from India before leaving. Alongwith that I am planning to carry around 1000$ in cash. Is anyone using the same approach on Finances or is there a better way to do it? Please pitch in. BTW, these are the links for opening bank accounts from outside of Australia:

NAB - NAB Classic Banking account - no monthly account fees - NAB

ANZ - Moving to Australia | ANZ

Also, the forum has been very kind to guide us through starting our journey with dark green links on the forum dashboard. Please benefit from them too.

Cheers..!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck on your new adventure. I will be also looking into moving to Melbourne hopefully this year.

Reactions: ausnik2013

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi

Hello,

Some questions, which would help others as well you to look for possible solutions.

1. Your trip in feb is with an intention of permanent migration or validation trip?

2. Have you though of the area you wish to move it? if yes list them here.

3. have you tried getting into the gumtree website using a Australian VPN?

4. There are many groups on FB which put their listing for home availability so you can try that route.

5. Since you are single you can also try youth hostels and finalize
your stay when you reach there, the advantage is you can verify the property and do a on ground research\validation rather then based on some pictures and description.

6. Try to familiarize your self with the transportation router and stations which will help you to gauge where the property is and if its suitable for daily commute to office in terms of comfort and economics.

7. Also you can book a hostel \hotel close to the CBD area which will allow you to quickly find and reach for interviews during the initial days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey fellow bloggers,

This blog page has been an awesome assistance in planning my migration. thanks to the page owner and all contributors. I would be leaving to melbourne from bangalore by may mid, any fellow travellers on the same period?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey fellow bloggers,

This blog page has been an awesome assistance in planning my migration. thanks to the page owner and all contributors. I would be leaving to melbourne from bangalore by may mid, any fellow travellers on the same period?
Thanks derick. Hope it helps other too!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

Some questions, which would help others as well you to look for possible solutions.

1. Your trip in feb is with an intention of permanent migration or validation trip ? - Its a permanent migration. I did not go for a validation trip. Hope everythings falls in place properly:fingerscrossed:

2. Have you though of the area you wish to move it? if yes list them here. - I actually wanted to stay very close to CBD, but wasn't getting responses for that as such but now I have found a place to stay in Doncaster; its around 17 kms from Mel CBD. I got it for $110 pw(all bills incl). The daily commuting means look good from there too.

3. have you tried getting into the gumtree website using a Australian VPN? - I did not have an Australian VPN. So I asked my cousin in Sydney to reply to a few ads on my behalf.

4. There are many groups on FB which put their listing for home availability so you can try that route.

5. Since you are single you can also try youth hostels and finalize
your stay when you reach there, the advantage is you can verify the property and do a on ground research\validation rather then based on some pictures and description. - Actually I did not try the hostel option because I am going to carry around 40 kgs in luggage and its really not feasible to crash in a hostel with so much of it.

6. Try to familiarize your self with the transportation router and stations which will help you to gauge where the property is and if its suitable for daily commute to office in terms of comfort and economics. - Let's hope this thing is as promising as it looked when the guys there told me about this. The economics part is like you have to make a pass of $129/month and your commute anywhere is sorted

7. Also you can book a hostel \hotel close to the CBD area which will allow you to quickly find and reach for interviews during the initial days - Hope I wade through it :).
Hi Please find my answers as inline. Btw, are you in Melbourne right now. Would like to meetup once I am there. have Pm'ed my details to you. See if you can drop me a line or so.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
going to sydney, but will move to melbourne if something works out there...

·
Registered
341 Posts
No need to carry $1000 in cash, $300 is fine, you can withdraw cash from NAB's ATM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@ausnik2013 In regards to the pass of AUD$129, does it cover bus, tram and train across all zones and is it unlimited travel?

·
Registered
410 Posts
@ausnik2013 In regards to the pass of AUD$129, does it cover bus, tram and train across all zones and is it unlimited travel?
$129.36 is the myki pass card with which you can travel by bus, train or tram unlimited. It is useful if you are travelling for more than 12 or 13 days a month. If you are travelling less than that you can buy myki money card which has a per travel rate. So if your travel time is within 2 hrs, then you only have to pay upto $3.76. Else the maximum is $7.52 and on weekends cap is $6. In melbourne you need either myki pass or myki money to travel. It is a plastic swipe card. No paper ticket and need to touch on and touch off while boarding and getting down.

Inside CBD, there is a free tram zone, which is good for sight seeing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$129.36 is the myki pass card with which you can travel by bus, train or tram unlimited. It is useful if you are travelling for more than 12 or 13 days a month. If you are travelling less than that you can buy myki money card which has a per travel rate. So if your travel time is within 2 hrs, then you only have to pay upto $3.76. Else the maximum is $7.52 and on weekends cap is $6. In melbourne you need either myki pass or myki money to travel. It is a plastic swipe card. No paper ticket and need to touch on and touch off while boarding and getting down.

Inside CBD, there is a free tram zone, which is good for sight seeing.
Thanks alot for the info. I probably can decide more effectively now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks,

The place which I had decided in Doncaster on rent has a bond for 6 months and the place, as I am exploring it, is pretty far away from the CBD area with not much public transport connectivity. So now even I am searching for a place to rent. I can pay a rent of upto 500$-550$ including bills. Please pm me in case of an availability.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello.. I am leaving mid-may '15. I am from Baroda...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All,

I might be travelling in Jul from Bangalore to Melbourne.
I have Microsoft Business Intelligence as my technological background with data warehouse concepts. Can someone tell me how is the job opportunities ?
I heard it will be tricky for people without any local experiences.

Thanks,
Paddy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am planning to travel to Melbourne by the end of September, I am still in the process of searching for a shared accomodation for my initial stay. Any leads will be appreciable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Even I am planning to fly to Melbourne by the end of Sept-15. I have just started searching for shared accommodation..

Where are you from? I am from Pune.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi,

Even I am planning to fly to Melbourne by the end of Sept-15. I have just started searching for shared accommodation..

Where are you from? I am from Pune.
I am from Hyderabad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts