Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving to Melbourne alone at the end of November. I'm moving to get work experience with children and have missed out on start of school year in Ireland as I was finishing my Masters. I have organised a job for after Christmas in Melbourne and so will be looking for accommodation over Christmas as well! Anyone in the same boat maybe!? Or will be in Melbourne at the same time!??

I have a place to stay for the first week or so with family friends but they are older than me and have family! I was wondering how easy it is to meet other people and stuff, or where to go!? Also, I don't really know what to do about Christmas, has anyone stayed in a hostel over the holidays!? Or where is a good place to go!?

It is a pretty scary move but hopefully all will work out!
Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi aimser,

When we moved over from the UK to Mt Gambier we did a lot of research on local clubs on the internet. We looked for hobbies and subjects that we were interested in and visited the clubs when we got there. That way we met the locals and made contacts (who have become friends).

That may work for you too.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Two notes about Christmas:

1. Book your accommodation now, you won't find it if look in December
2. It will be pricey as a lot of people travel to meet family and friends during that period and also take part in Christmas and New Years festivities.

This period is both Christmas and School Holidays so alot of people with leisure time looking for accommodation.

If you're up for it, how about a caravan hire and caravan park for a few weeks?

I'm sure they'll fill up too, so if it's possible get in early.

Good luck :)

Hi all,

I am moving to Melbourne alone at the end of November. I'm moving to get work experience with children and have missed out on start of school year in Ireland as I was finishing my Masters. I have organised a job for after Christmas in Melbourne and so will be looking for accommodation over Christmas as well! Anyone in the same boat maybe!? Or will be in Melbourne at the same time!??

I have a place to stay for the first week or so with family friends but they are older than me and have family! I was wondering how easy it is to meet other people and stuff, or where to go!? Also, I don't really know what to do about Christmas, has anyone stayed in a hostel over the holidays!? Or where is a good place to go!?

It is a pretty scary move but hopefully all will work out!
Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Plus, December will be hot, hot, hot! As Amaslam suggested, book accommodation as soon as possible as Dec/Jan is a major holiday here and school summer hols.

Dolly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts