1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have read through numerous posts related to moving to Marbella, they were
all very useful.
One thing I was unsure of was finding work in Marbella, I am looking to move to Marbella with my girlfriend and we are both hoping to put a deposit down on a house once we have applied and received our NIE cards.
Anyone currently living in marbella any suggestions of places where we could find work, we are not fussy, just something to get us started. Also if relevant neither of us speak Spanish.

Any info would be more than appreciated.

Thank you. :D

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Hello all,

I have read through numerous posts related to moving to Marbella, they were
all very useful.
One thing I was unsure of was finding work in Marbella, I am looking to move to Marbella with my girlfriend and we are both hoping to put a deposit down on a house once we have applied and received our NIE cards.
Anyone currently living in marbella any suggestions of places where we could find work, we are not fussy, just something to get us started. Also if relevant neither of us speak Spanish.

Any info would be more than appreciated.

Thank you. :D
:welcome:

I hope you've also read through the many threads telling how unlikely it is you'll get work in Spain - we have the highest unemployment rate in Europe & Andalucía (where Marbella is) has one of the highest in Spain

you might get some cash in hand short term work over the summer - but when summer is gone so will the job be

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:welcome:

I hope you've also read through the many threads telling how unlikely it is you'll get work in Spain - we have the highest unemployment rate in Europe & Andalucía (where Marbella is) has one of the highest in Spain

you might get some cash in hand short term work over the summer - but when summer is gone so will the job be
I was just looking through the forums, researching job opportunities such as teaching English and doing a CELTA course etc.
That isn't what we we're hoping to hear, but that is why getting advice from people such as yourself on here helps. :)
Out of interest, although unemployment is very high in Marbella, what is the most prevalent jobs available and how much do they pay?

Again thank you for your help. :D

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
I was just looking through the forums, researching job opportunities such as teaching English and doing a CELTA course etc.
That isn't what we we're hoping to hear, but that is why getting advice from people such as yourself on here helps. :)
Out of interest, although unemployment is very high in Marbella, what is the most prevalent jobs available and how much do they pay?

Again thank you for your help. :D
I'm not in (or anywhere near) Marbella, so I couldn't really say - but as it's a resort town I'd guess there might be bar work or promotions (leaflet handing out) work

there are some telesales companies down that way - mostly commission only stuff though

here's the sitsvac from the surineglish - a local English newspaper

Recruitment | Situations vacant | myservicesdirectory.com | surinenglish.com

seems I was right about the telesales.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not in (or anywhere near) Marbella, so I couldn't really say - but as it's a resort town I'd guess there might be bar work or promotions (leaflet handing out) work

there are some telesales companies down that way - mostly commission only stuff though

here's the sitsvac from the surineglish - a local English newspaper

Recruitment | Situations vacant | myservicesdirectory.com | surinenglish.com

seems I was right about the telesales.........
Will give it a look through, thank you for the help. Most appreciated :D
IF anyone else has any more info relating to work in Marbella area, drop me a PM..thanks.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
There are one or two places that do telesales - its generally commision only and hard work (phoning people in the UK selling time share, insurance etc). Apart from that, theres mass unemployment and plenty of biligual expats who are getting the few TEFL jobs. Now isnt a good time to expect to get work. So dont burn your UK bridges. Spain is a country in crisis

Jo xxx

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi

here in Marbella there are jobs, but generally not reliable jobs. What is your experience? what age group are you? What are your interests?
I know that I can get jobs here in several companies, but only because I have been here for several years and know people in the right places for me to benifit, thats not saying that I could get you a job. Basically its the same as anywhere else where you are new, you are unknown and a higher risk to an employer, lots of people come here for the summer and then leave, how is an employer to know if you would do the same or not.
Re casual summer bar/restaurant work the hours would be long the pay low and as things stand most places already have their staff for the summer. I have been receiving CV's for months for jobs that we don't have.
on the telesales side of things there are a lot of dodgy companies who are mostly commission only and you will need to be self employed and therefore responsible for your own taxes and social security(getting higher all the time) .. if you go that route , just be very careful. that said there are a few very reputable companies here with large telemarketing operations here. If you are in contact with any companies please feel free to PM me and I will give you an informed opinion of the company.

Re putting a deposit on a place, I hope you don't mean to buy.... just don't rush into that, the prices are still dropping and when you are here for a while you will start to find bargains around the area and if you rent for a year or so, it will give you time to get to know the area and make a more informed decision as to were you want to live

What part of Marbella are you planning to come to and when?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

here in Marbella there are jobs, but generally not reliable jobs. What is your experience? what age group are you? What are your interests?
I know that I can get jobs here in several companies, but only because I have been here for several years and know people in the right places for me to benifit, thats not saying that I could get you a job. Basically its the same as anywhere else where you are new, you are unknown and a higher risk to an employer, lots of people come here for the summer and then leave, how is an employer to know if you would do the same or not.
Re casual summer bar/restaurant work the hours would be long the pay low and as things stand most places already have their staff for the summer. I have been receiving CV's for months for jobs that we don't have.
on the telesales side of things there are a lot of dodgy companies who are mostly commission only and you will need to be self employed and therefore responsible for your own taxes and social security(getting higher all the time) .. if you go that route , just be very careful. that said there are a few very reputable companies here with large telemarketing operations here. If you are in contact with any companies please feel free to PM me and I will give you an informed opinion of the company.

Re putting a deposit on a place, I hope you don't mean to buy.... just don't rush into that, the prices are still dropping and when you are here for a while you will start to find bargains around the area and if you rent for a year or so, it will give you time to get to know the area and make a more informed decision as to were you want to live

What part of Marbella are you planning to come to and when?

Thank you for the long and informed post.
Me and my girlfriend are planning on moving to Marbella, originally we were planning on getting a mortgage but upon reading through these forums I think we will rent for a while whilst getting to know the area to make sure we are both financially stable and happy with where we are.
I am 21 and my girlfriend is 20, in terms of experience I hope you don't mind but I'll just copy and paste my post on the "looking for work in Spain" thread
"NAME: Liam Bracken
OCCUPATION: Sales agent / Trainee coaching experience/ Care work.
EXPERIENCE: 1 year for a telesales company selling car/house insurance. Coached children aged 5-11. Looked after children at a youth centre. Electricians apprentice. Foresting work. Building labourer. Working with vulnerable adults.
AVAILABILTY: As soon as moved to Marbella. (any offers welcome, CV upon request.)

NAME: Bonnie Lofts
EXPERIENCE: Pedicurist, manicurist, make-up artist, massage technician, nail technician, spray tans, electrolysis, facials, waxing/ hair removal, holistic treatments, bar work in Tenerife, equestrian experience.
AVAILABILITY: As soon as moved to Marbella. (any offers welcome, CV upon request.)

In terms of when we want to move to Marbella, we are in the process of saving for a deposit although I think we are now going to save and then take an extended holiday in Marbella whilst hoping to find work. We are hoping to be doing this with in at least 6 months at the latest a year hoping everything pans out for us.

We haven't set our sights on any particular area, we have searched numerous properties on "http://www.kyero.com" and "http://www.vivaestates.com". I suppose the properties we researched which we liked the best were in East Marbella, although the majority of areas around Marbella are breath taking.

I have emailed a few companies regarding work over there, so assuming they reply I will give you a PM and see what you think. Both me and my girlfriend really appreciate all the advice and help, so great that there is a place like expat forums to help people in our situation out, and so far everyone on here very helpful.

Any areas you would suggest to us if we were to come and rent whilst looking for work in Marbella?

Again thank you for all your help. I added you as I imagine would be easier to get in contact with you that way. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are one or two places that do telesales - its generally commision only and hard work (phoning people in the UK selling time share, insurance etc). Apart from that, theres mass unemployment and plenty of biligual expats who are getting the few TEFL jobs. Now isnt a good time to expect to get work. So dont burn your UK bridges. Spain is a country in crisis

Jo xxx
We were unaware that Spain is in crisis economically, luckily having a place like this helps. I imagine before we do anything rash we will have to do a lot more research!

Thank you for your reply. :)

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I live very near to Marbella. The province of Malaga has the highest unemployment rate in Spain - over 34%. Every time I go to Marbella I see more and more closed shops, bars and restaurants.

If you speak no Spanish and have no contacts, you have a practically zero chance of finding employment. Think about it...if almost six million Spanish people can't find work, how would you rate your chances?

To live a half-way decent life here you will need a joint income of around 15k euros minimum. Rent, utilities , fuel etc. will set you back around 1000 euros a month for a start. If you work cash in hand, it's illegal and the authorities are clamping down hard on tax dodgers. You will not automatically qualify for free health care and Spain has no welfare state similar to the UK - so no unemployment pay, housing benefit etc.

No way should you even consider buying a property.....what if you can find only temporary work?
There are thousands of British immigrants who yearn to go back to the UK but who are trapped with mortgages they can't pay and property they can't sell.

This isn't the time to contemplate a move to Spain if you need to work and have no secure, well-paid job lined up. You need to come and see for yourself how bad things are in this area.
Spain today is not the El Dorado some people thought it was ten years ago....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live very near to Marbella. The province of Malaga has the highest unemployment rate in Spain - over 34%. Every time I go to Marbella I see more and more closed shops, bars and restaurants.

If you speak no Spanish and have no contacts, you have a practically zero chance of finding employment. Think about it...if almost six million Spanish people can't find work, how would you rate your chances?

To live a half-way decent life here you will need a joint income of around 15k euros minimum. Rent, utilities , fuel etc. will set you back around 1000 euros a month for a start. If you work cash in hand, it's illegal and the authorities are clamping down hard on tax dodgers. You will not automatically qualify for free health care and Spain has no welfare state similar to the UK - so no unemployment pay, housing benefit etc.

No way should you even consider buying a property.....what if you can find only temporary work?
There are thousands of British immigrants who yearn to go back to the UK but who are trapped with mortgages they can't pay and property they can't sell.

This isn't the time to contemplate a move to Spain if you need to work and have no secure, well-paid job lined up. You need to come and see for yourself how bad things are in this area.
Spain today is not the El Dorado some people thought it was ten years ago....
Thank you for the insightful reply, it seems I may have been very naive in my understanding of the economic situation in Spain currently, luckily coming on here has paid off and to reiterate what I mentioned in a previous post, considering the insight I have had from several members of these forums, I think it best to take a holiday in Marbella and do some research while I am there. I have always wanted to move to Spain, so if it didn't work out both me and my girlfriend would be put out.
But the risks certainly seem high, so much more research is needed.
But again thank you for your reply. :D
I will go over it with Bonnie later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could always have a few fact finding/holidays and get a feel for how things are??!!

Jo xxxx

I think this is our best option!
We have both wanted to move to Spain for a long time so it would be a shame if we had to abandon that dream. But if it doesn't work out I am sure we could find somewhere equally as nice with better employment rate and standard of living.

Regards :)

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I think this is our best option!
We have both wanted to move to Spain for a long time so it would be a shame if we had to abandon that dream. But if it doesn't work out I am sure we could find somewhere equally as nice with better employment rate and standard of living.

Regards :)
You most definitely need to pay a fact-finding visit so you can see for yourself how bad things are here.

But why do you 'dream' of living in Spain, I wonder?:) Apart from more sun, life here is much like life anywhere else - unless you need to work, in which case you will soon find your 'dream' dissolving, maybe into a nightmare.

Anyone lucky enough to find a job now will most certainly be working longer hours for a lower wage than in the UK. Any 'legal' job will almost certainly be temporary which means you have zero job security. Rigid labour laws make employers wary of taking on permanent staff. That's why it's not a good idea to buy property with a mortgage if you are relying on being able to work.

At this point in time I can honestly think of nowhere in the EU where you could easily find work and a better standard of living than in the UK, apart perhaps from Germany.

For many people, leaving the UK makes them realise just how comparatively comfortable life is back home. Unemployment at under 9%, a generous welfare state......Spaniards would be envious....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
For many people, leaving the UK makes them realise just how comparatively comfortable life is back home. Unemployment at under 9%, a generous welfare state......Spaniards would be envious....
If I were totally honest I'm one of those who now realises how much easier life and living in the UK is - I dont like it, cos I had built a life in Spain and the way of life (pre crisis) was wonderful. But as I say nowadays, the "nanny" state of the UK isnt all bad, nannies do look after everyone!!

When I arrived back in the UK, I appreciated the ease of the health care, the JSA until I found work (a job I hate with a passion!!), the fact my children could just go to school without fuss or bother (eventhough they're both now NOT getting the good education they had received in their international school in Spain), central heating and carpets, so we were actually warm and cosy this winter, being able to talk to .... well anyone, even the PC rules make life easier - you know what you're getting and how things will be! and there is always somewhere to turn if you fall or fail - you dont get that in Spain!

I miss Spain so much tho, but its not about the weather, its about the overall ambience and the friends and life I had there. Fortunately, altho I did finally manage to find work (selling timeshare!!), my husband commuted and earnt a good enough salary to enable us to live comfortably

Jo xxx

·
Registered
395 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts