Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am moving to Madrid in March to take a TEFL course with hopes of teaching English in Spain. I fell in love with the country in my undergrad years when I went as an exchange student in 1997. My ultimate goal is to start off teaching while I work on my travel-writing career. I wanted to just reach out and meet some people through here, to hopefully have a couple of connections before I get over there.

I was in Madrid before, but only went on "vacation" during one of my school's breaks. I did love the city though and kept thinking to myself, "I could live here, easily." So, now, 12 years later, I am making the leap. I am leaving a job I hate to pursue my dreams.

I am a very social person and love to meet new people and wondered if anyone on here was from Madrid or the surrounding area? I plan on traveling all around Spain as well as throughout Europe during my year (or more) abroad.

I am just really looking to meet new people :) Any other advice that you might be able to give about finding a place to live (I know about idealista.org) would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and look forward to "meeting" you :)

·
Registered
19,341 Posts
Hello all,

I am moving to Madrid in March to take a TEFL course with hopes of teaching English in Spain. I fell in love with the country in my undergrad years when I went as an exchange student in 1997. My ultimate goal is to start off teaching while I work on my travel-writing career. I wanted to just reach out and meet some people through here, to hopefully have a couple of connections before I get over there.

I was in Madrid before, but only went on "vacation" during one of my school's breaks. I did love the city though and kept thinking to myself, "I could live here, easily." So, now, 12 years later, I am making the leap. I am leaving a job I hate to pursue my dreams.

I am a very social person and love to meet new people and wondered if anyone on here was from Madrid or the surrounding area? I plan on traveling all around Spain as well as throughout Europe during my year (or more) abroad.

I am just really looking to meet new people :) Any other advice that you might be able to give about finding a place to live (I know about idealista.org) would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and look forward to "meeting" you :)
Hi!,
I'm an English teacher just outside of Madrid. I've been teaching in Spain for a long time now, so I may be able to help you on a couple of things. Have you read the "Teaching in Spain" sticky cos that's really got all the info in?
Where are you doing your course? Have they said anything about employment prospects after the course? Have they said anything about your papers seeing as your American and your situation is different from people in the EU??

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
Hi!,
I'm an English teacher just outside of Madrid. I've been teaching in Spain for a long time now, so I may be able to help you on a couple of things. Have you read the "Teaching in Spain" sticky cos that's really got all the info in?
Where are you doing your course? Have they said anything about employment prospects after the course? Have they said anything about your papers seeing as your American and your situation is different from people in the EU??
Just to reinforce what Pesky Wesky has said. If you don't have a passport from an EU country, you need a work permit, and none is issued for teaching English as there are plenty of British, Irish and other teachers looking for work who don't need a visa or work permit.
You can still do your TEFL course and find jobs in developing countries. You can do a limited amount of work while you are studying full-time, but getting a work permit and visa afterwards to stay on in Spain and work will be very, very difficult because the authorities want to safeguard jobs for locals and others entitled to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi!,
I am going through TTMadrid and I am already applying for my visa here, in the US. They actually have an awesome set-up and they guarantee you a job when you graduate. It is a month-long, intensive course and their program is highly respected throughout the country. I have spoken with a couple of the graduates and most are employed before they even finish the program. I then have to do a month long Spanish course, which gets me my visa for one year, which entitles me to work up to 20 hours plus then any private lessons I want to do.

I would love to hear any advice you might have for someone who has never really taught before. I do also speak Spanish fluently, and not sure if that helps or not.

I do understand that this is not going to be easy, and that's okay. I have worked in a job I hated for almost ten years with nothing more than a paycheck for compensation and I've had enough. I am looking for an experience that will challenge me and hopefully, make me a better person as a result. Not to mention, a fantastic country to do it all in :)

Thank you for responding to my ad and I look forward to any other advice you might have for a "first-time" teacher :)

Dina

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
I have spoken with a couple of the graduates and most are employed before they even finish the program. I then have to do a month long Spanish course, which gets me my visa for one year, which entitles me to work up to 20 hours plus then any private lessons I want to do.
So what you are getting isn't a proper work visa, entitling you to work full-time, but some kind of student/intern visa with limited work privileges. If that's what you want, fine. We are just pointing out that getting a regular work permit and visa for Spain for a US citizen is extremely difficult, and after your year, you will probably have to leave and seek opportunities elsewhere, such as Latin America, Asia etc. Even for locals and EU citizens, getting any kind of teaching job currently is fraught with difficulties, as schools just aren't recruiting, many are laying off staff or closing down. For them to employ a non-EU citizen as full teacher (not trainee/intern) means sponsoring you for a work visa, which just isn't sanctioned because of very high unemployment.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I am going through TTMadrid and I am already applying for my visa here, in the US. They actually have an awesome set-up and they guarantee you a job when you graduate. It is a month-long, intensive course and their program is highly respected throughout the country. I have spoken with a couple of the graduates and most are employed before they even finish the program. I then have to do a month long Spanish course, which gets me my visa for one year, which entitles me to work up to 20 hours plus then any private lessons I want to do.

I would love to hear any advice you might have for someone who has never really taught before. I do also speak Spanish fluently, and not sure if that helps or not.

I do understand that this is not going to be easy, and that's okay. I have worked in a job I hated for almost ten years with nothing more than a paycheck for compensation and I've had enough. I am looking for an experience that will challenge me and hopefully, make me a better person as a result. Not to mention, a fantastic country to do it all in :)

Thank you for responding to my ad and I look forward to any other advice you might have for a "first-time" teacher :)

Dina
Have I understood this correctly??? TTMadrid are not only training you but guarantee you job at the end of it and your work visa ???? That seems a little too good to be true to me - altho I'm no expert??!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have I understood this correctly??? TTMadrid are not only training you but guarantee you job at the end of it and your work visa ???? That seems a little too good to be true to me - altho I'm no expert??!!

Jo xxxx
Hello Jo Jo...

I would have thought so too, if I hadn't verified it myself. Trust me, I am not about to move to a foreign country and not have checked everything out. I think it may be easier because of the fact that I don't need a work visa because I will only be doing 20 hours of teaching. Keep in mind, teaching is also not my ultimate goal, travel-writing is. I am hoping to be either supplementing my income significantly by writing or to have that as my main source of income at the end of the year. It is a means-to-an-end for me. Feel free to check out TTMadrid's website at ttmadrid.com.

Thanks so much and have a great day!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what you are getting isn't a proper work visa, entitling you to work full-time, but some kind of student/intern visa with limited work privileges. If that's what you want, fine. We are just pointing out that getting a regular work permit and visa for Spain for a US citizen is extremely difficult, and after your year, you will probably have to leave and seek opportunities elsewhere, such as Latin America, Asia etc. Even for locals and EU citizens, getting any kind of teaching job currently is fraught with difficulties, as schools just aren't recruiting, many are laying off staff or closing down. For them to employ a non-EU citizen as full teacher (not trainee/intern) means sponsoring you for a work visa, which just isn't sanctioned because of very high unemployment.
Hello,

It's understandable that if you're not a Spanish citizen that you would have difficulties getting a job in the current economy; frankly, it's even expected.

I apologize if my post was misconstrued in any way, I was simply looking to meet new people in the Madrid area. I am going over not knowing anyone and thought it might be great to make a few connections before I go. Perhaps this is not the correct place in which to do that, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Dina

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
Looking at their sleek website, while they go on and on about their wonderful training and satisfied clients, they say nothing about work visa requirement for non-EU citizens and how they help you obtain one for teaching in Spain. So after your month's training and a year's apprenticeship/internship, you are on your own and need to look for job opportunities outside of Spain. I'm not saying they aren't legit or their course is no good; but just don't assume that after your training, you can magically bypass visa requirement to live and work in Spain as long as you want.

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
Hello,

It's understandable that if you're not a Spanish citizen that you would have difficulties getting a job in the current economy; frankly, it's even expected.

I apologize if my post was misconstrued in any way, I was simply looking to meet new people in the Madrid area. I am going over not knowing anyone and thought it might be great to make a few connections before I go. Perhaps this is not the correct place in which to do that, please accept my sincerest apologies.
Not at all. I hope you can network with people in the Madrid area to help you settle into your new environment, and wish you every success.
I'm just trying to respond to your future plans in Spain, that your stay there is likely to be limited, and while I hope you get everything you are looking for, I don't want you to be under the impression that somehow you can stay and work in Spain indefinitely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looking at their sleek website, while they go on and on about their wonderful training and satisfied clients, they say nothing about work visa requirement for non-EU citizens and how they help you obtain one for teaching in Spain. So after your month's training and a year's apprenticeship/internship, you are on your own and need to look for job opportunities outside of Spain. I'm not saying they aren't legit or their course is no good; but just don't assume that after your training, you can magically bypass visa requirement to live and work in Spain as long as you want.
Please see below message

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not at all. I hope you can network with people in the Madrid area to help you settle into your new environment, and wish you every success.
I'm just trying to respond to your future plans in Spain, that your stay there is likely to be limited, and while I hope you get everything you are looking for, I don't want you to be under the impression that somehow you can stay and work in Spain indefinitely.
Hello Joppa...

I appreciate your concern. I am well aware that I can't stay there indefinitely and don't plan to. Writing is my real dream, the teaching is going to help supplement my income until I can make it become a full-time reality. I love Spain, but I really want to see the world. Writing will allow me to do that....

That said, I am ready for a challenge because finally, after so many years, I have a goal to work toward. I know there will be bumps in the road and I expect that. It's all part of the process...

·
Registered
19,341 Posts
Hello,

Dina
No problems about posting on the forum, it's just that most people who come on here are looking for info and/ or advice and not contacting people.

As Joppa says, the qualification that ttMadrid are offering is not an internationally recognised qualification like the CELTA and you need to be aware of that. From the website it looks like you get a well constructed course and as you're not interested in making a career of teaching it's probably going to be enough. I would wonder however what kind of salary you'll be making in the work that is offered when the course finishes and what the conditions will be.
By the way the three places in Madrid that offer the CELTA qualification are British Language Centre, Hyland and International House. I looked up the price at one of them and it was 1500€. I don't know if they offer all the support advertised by ttMadrid though, and I don't know if they will know what to do with Americans!! But you do get a qualification that will be recognised by any good school...
I hadn't heard about the 20 hours visa thing. Be sure of the conditions like if you can go out of the country or not.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problems about posting on the forum, it's just that most people who come on here are looking for info and/ or advice and not contacting people.

As Joppa says, the qualification that ttMadrid are offering is not an internationally recognised qualification like the CELTA and you need to be aware of that. From the website it looks like you get a well constructed course and as you're not interested in making a career of teaching it's probably going to be enough. I would wonder however what kind of salary you'll be making in the work that is offered when the course finishes and what the conditions will be.
By the way the three places in Madrid that offer the CELTA qualification are British Language Centre, Hyland and International House. I looked up the price at one of them and it was 1500€. I don't know if they offer all the support advertised by ttMadrid though, and I don't know if they will know what to do with Americans!! But you do get a qualification that will be recognised by any good school...
I hadn't heard about the 20 hours visa thing. Be sure of the conditions like if you can go out of the country or not.
Good Luck!
Thank you!

I actually did look at the CELTA certification and it is undoubtedly top of the line as far as certification (along with Trinity, I believe). However, that looked to be more of an investment than I was willing to make, considering my circumstances. I am going to get a multiple entry visa so that I can both return to the US a couple of times as well as travel to other countries.

Thank you for all of your help :)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Regardless of what qualifications TT offer. First of all we cant really advertise their services on here and secondly, I have trouble believing they can guarantee any paid work at all for anyone!!!! Unless their fees are so high to the students that they are offering some kind of reimbursement as a way of "payment" Cos with the mass unemployment over here, I'd have thought that everyone - even the Spanish and bilinguals who live here would jump at the chance Or am I missing something??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regardless of what qualifications TT offer. First of all we cant really advertise their services on here and secondly, I have trouble believing they can guarantee any paid work at all for anyone!!!! Unless their fees are so high to the students that they are offering some kind of reimbursement as a way of "payment" Cos with the mass unemployment over here, I'd have thought that everyone - even the Spanish and bilinguals who live here would jump at the chance Or am I missing something??

Jo xxx
I was not advertising at all, I am not sure where you got that from. I was simply informing someone of the program that I was using and I was in no way recommending someone else use it. Nobody seemed to believe me when I explained things to them, so I let them see for themself. Of course, no one has done as much research on the place as I have, even though they claim to know more about it.

Secondly, believe what you want to believe. I have to say that I have been very put off by some of the comments made here, they have been quite rude, nasty even. If this is an exclusive group, then it should be advertised as such and require a private membership. It appears as though some people are almost adamant in the fact that they don't want anyone else teaching English as a foreign language-because that's definitely the vibe I am getting. Quite frankly, I am not sure if it's because I am American or not, but I have my suspicions.

I am a person who is very open to new experiences and meeting new people, and sometimes I forget that not everyone is like that, I want to thank you for reminding me. As a travel-writer, I will be sure to advise people NOT to use this website.

I only joined this website a couple of days ago and my experience was overwhelmingly negative and I want to thank you for that. I certainly hope you are satisfied and at the end of the day, I am sure will find some sort of justification for treating a newcomer to the site this way.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was not advertising at all, I am not sure where you got that from. I was simply informing someone of the program that I was using and I was in no way recommending someone else use it. Nobody seemed to believe me when I explained things to them, so I let them see for themself. Of course, no one has done as much research on the place as I have, even though they claim to know more about it.

Secondly, believe what you want to believe. I have to say that I have been very put off by some of the comments made here, they have been quite rude, nasty even. If this is an exclusive group, then it should be advertised as such and require a private membership. It appears as though some people are almost adamant in the fact that they don't want anyone else teaching English as a foreign language-because that's definitely the vibe I am getting. Quite frankly, I am not sure if it's because I am American or not, but I have my suspicions.

I am a person who is very open to new experiences and meeting new people, and sometimes I forget that not everyone is like that, I want to thank you for reminding me. As a travel-writer, I will be sure to advise people NOT to use this website.

I only joined this website a couple of days ago and my experience was overwhelmingly negative and I want to thank you for that. I certainly hope you are satisfied and at the end of the day, I am sure will find some sort of justification for treating a newcomer to the site this way.
:p oh dear up.s a daisy:tongue1:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

I'm not trying to be rude or negative, nor does it matter whether you're american. I'm simply questioning that any organisation can guarantee work when there are squillions of unemployed teachers of all nationalities and standards across Spain. I guess my worry is that its a con and if thats the case, I'd hate you or anyone else to be taken in by it.

I would say that most of us who've moved to foreign countries and are now "expats" were and are open to new experiences - thats the whole point, but then thats the point of a forum such as this, to share the benefits and pitfalls - serious and overwhelming unemployment being on of the main pitfalls, hence, my suspicions and comments.

So dont take offence hun, we're not the enemy!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dina

bit sad if you take the huff. Your story I find very interesting and would love to hear your progress. Especially on the writing front as I have ambitions in that direction as well.

It would really be nice if you could be a little more tolerant of this place. I know it is annoying when people tell you how to suck eggs when you thought you made your position clear but equally you can cherry pick replies (ignoring others) as you choose. And some of the info might have real value.

It cannot be a surprise to you that many are sceptical that you have found employment (even part time and poorly paid) as they step over educated beggars on the Gran Via. But it is exactly that that could allow you to help others.

Finally I would say no one here was being anti-american IMHO. They are merely referring to the advantage citizens of member EU states have. There are many of your fellow citizens here.

So please reconsider. Happy New Year, Nigel

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dina just to say I saw yr message but have no way to reply at the mo and now it has disappeared. But no doubt the mods will get me up and running soon.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.