Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My husband and I will be moving to Lyon at the end of this month, he is Algerian, I am American (as the name so obviously states) and we have been living in Algiers for the past year. I just have a few questions about Lyon:

I have heard it can be difficult to open a bank account in France, can anyone recommend a good bank in which to open an account? My bank in the States has a partnership with BNP Paribas but my husband’s French employer recommended that we go through a bank specifically for expats. Thoughts?

My husband will be working in Saint-Foy-Les-Lyon so we are looking to move either to the 2, 5 or 9 Arrondissement (or Saint-Foy). How is public transportation in the 5 & 9 Arr.? We would prefer to be outside of the centre ville (which is why we are leaning towards the 5 & 9) but we would like to have food markets in walking distance & access to public transportation.

I speak very basic French and would like to enroll in a class as soon as my plane touches the tarmac. I looked into some language schools but they are a bit pricey, is it true that there are free French classes given by the town hall?

And…does anyone know of some decent & not-so-pricey furniture shops?

Thank you in advance - please feel free to add any extra information & of course, we are always up for making new friends so drop me a PM & we can hopefully meet up after we arrive.

Bon week-end! :D
Erin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.