Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a kiwi girl, moving back to Lyon, France once again, having spent a year there in 2006 as an au pair while finishing off my commerce degree.

I'd love to hear from anyone in Lyon about just about anything. I'm currently looking for a job (in HR or training, or teaching English) and would also love to meet new people as everyone I studied with has disappeared elsewhere around the globe.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kylie

·
Administrator
49,096 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Eventually someone is going to come through here and pose the question, so it might as well be me, I guess. :rolleyes: Have you looked into getting a visa yet?

I only ask because the types of jobs you mention aren't usually the best candidates for getting a work visa. Basically it's because there are plenty of young people qualified for HR or training work already looking for work here, and no shortage of native speakers floating loose in France to teach English (legally or not).

This site (in French) should give you some idea of the requirements they have for foreigners in France to work: Travail des étrangers - Service-public.fr
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Siara,

I land in France on the 23rd. Off to Pau for Christmas, Montpellier for New Years and finally Lyon from the 5th onward.

Kylie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bev,

I have a working holiday visa which (according to the ambafrance-nz site) gives me the right to work over there. Hoping to stay longer than the year that allows me, so looking for sponsorship ideally, but anything in the meantime.

Thanks for the site, I'll check it out.

Kylie

·
Administrator
49,096 Posts
Hi Bev,

I have a working holiday visa which (according to the ambafrance-nz site) gives me the right to work over there. Hoping to stay longer than the year that allows me, so looking for sponsorship ideally, but anything in the meantime.

Thanks for the site, I'll check it out.

Kylie
I'd just be wary of the bit on the website that says:

>>This visa will not be extended, as stated on your visa, beyond the duration of one year nor may the status of the working holiday visa be changed during the stay.<<

Jobs are tough for young people to find in France. I know a young woman here who has been working for 9 years in temporary jobs (CDDs) though she's trying for a permanent job (a CDI).

Under the terms of the work holiday visa, you may actually have an advantage in the job hunt simply by virtue of the fact that you have only a year in France, and thus aren't eligible for a CDI. Use that to your advantage.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey

Hey,

I lived in Lyon for 2months until Dec 08. Ive been au pairing in the alps since then but thinking of moving back to Tour du pin which is nearby. I have friends in Lyon and would be there every weekend if you wanna meet up? mail me on [email protected].

Kate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Kylie,

I've only been in Lyon since November so i'm pretty new here too (from Sydney), my partner is kiwi too and we moved here so he could play rugby. If you're still looking for a job, I have had quite a few emails lately advertising for English teachers, unfortunately I dont have a working visa so cant take up any of these offers, but if you are interested I can send you some details.

Cheers
Kelly

·
Registered
103 Posts
Details on posts for english teachers

Hi,

I saw your message to Kylie mentioning that you had received a couple of emails advertising for English teachers. I have been living in Lyon for almost 2 years and have been teaching English but recently the hours have been a bit scarce to say the least. I suppose it's to be expected as there is a recession and teaching freelance is not a stable job at the best of times, but my hours have basically halved since the start of 2009. Would it be a bother to send me some details about these jobs ads you mentioned ?

Thanks in advance !!!
Louna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.