Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Expats in London:)

My husband just took a job in London so we will be moving next summer (2014). We currently live in beautiful Munich (Utopia)...we live in the city center, in a beautiful historical building with 220 sqm, very safe!!!...I have an almost 6 yr old (Nov) and girls, both 9months. I need to kind of narrow my search for the relocation people.... but I have a problem! I only know London in terms of work and when my husband lived in London 13yrs ago, he lived in Kensington so....

His new job will be in London city. Important to know is that my son goes to the French school in Munich (Lycée Français)... we chose this school due to the fact that my husband works internationally...I'm american and my husband is German.... our son speaks all 3 perfectly and is currently learning Chinese (it was all him!! I swear!!!, we have nothing to do with the Chinese! he fell in love with it on our trip to china last year and has begged us to learn since we got back...it's not my first choice since i'm half spanish....)

Anyhow, I was wondering if ANYONE, please...can help me with where to live. We would like to be near the city but not too close like we're here. I was told to look into Fuhlham, Parsons green, Battersea, Holland Park, Chelsea (gotten very expensive in the last yrs) and just yesterday i was told clapham, Ealing & Hammersmith. we need 5 bedrooms so it probably makes the search harder....

I'm looking for a good neighborhood, family friendly, good "village" like feel but city feel too (meaning restaurants, amenities, cafés and kid activities), near green (we're sporty), posh but not toooooo posh and ridiculous (my husband is a bit "poshy" but very modern and easy going), garden too. Need to be "near" the school (30mins max) and have to find either a french or german nursery for my twins....although they will follow their brother by going to the french school....And no we won"t do the German school, it's too far and theer isn't a German school in LA so...french it is....will have to get a German Aupair and also do German WE classes to make sure they all speak good German ... another post)

by the way, we will rent and then will buy...the rents are way crazy in London but renting makes sense before buying so....I hope to find a neighborhood we will love to buy in....

Also, any suggestions of nanny sites? I work full time as well...well, I will not work the first 3 months of moving but then will start...assuming my company moves me over)

Any help would be very very much appreciated. I know i'm asking a lot but the city is huge (i'm from LA so I know it's hard to say)

thank you very much,
Anj

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You haven't mentioned the most important thing. What is your budget? If you want a 30 minute or less commute to the City with 5 bedrooms and lots of amenities, it better be pretty significant. Yes , London is huge at about 659 square miles. It would be useful to get a map of London along with a tube map. Start by looking at the tube lines that take you husband directly to his office and check the journey planner on the TFL site to determine travel time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know yet but I would say under 10k. i've used a Map...my kids school is in Kensington (he'll go to the Lycee)... we can't be toooooo far from him...in case of an emergency. my husband travels all the time (c.a 200 days a year) so we/I care very little about his travels to the office...he'll have to figure it out...important are my kids and my sanity in a new city:)) very selfish I know but...at this point they come first...we have an amazing life style in Munich so...don't want to change toooooo much...even though it will be a huge change....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out Stoke Newington in the North East, easily the nicest place to live in London that isn't too posh.
It is becoming very middle upper class and is very family friendly these days, but still keeps it's quirky character.
Has a large range of bars cafés and restaurants, many parks, one of the biggest climbing centres in Europe, a sailing lake, a good gym, and has many creative people living there similar to East Berlin.
Basically it's one of my favourite places to live anywhere in the world.

I am looking at moving in the opposite direction for a year or so, can you recommend some nice places in Munich?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.