Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Forum, so first let me say hello to all and thanks to the people who replied to my previous post.
Now I very much need help learning how to use the forum. Much like my life, I have no friends, I'm not a member of any groups, and I'd like to change that. As far as this forum is concerned.
I'd like to have friends that would let me know about things to do in Mexico or who might like to get a group together to go on day trips.
Any help finding groups to join, etc. will be so much appreciated.
Enjoy your day!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! I saw your post and it made me want to sign up quickly with the expat forum.
I am thinking of investing in property in Mexico to retire to.
I was thinking of a town north of Alamos, especially because of its location and proximity to where the Total Eclipse will be visible in 2024.
I had to look up where Jocetepec was and it sounds like another possible place.
I would like to be your forum friend in your journey to relocate in Jocetepec.
Rusty&Tia4me is my sign in name. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Jocotepec is the head of the municipality west of Chapala on the lake. It is an agricultural center, it has less expats than Chapala. It is where Driscol grows raspberries so lots of them for cheap..
It has some gang activity right now but these things come and go. I sure would not invest several years ahead of retirement there..actually I would not invest ahead of retirement anywhere. Things change quickly and you just do not know what the place will be like by the time you retire.. Look around travel wherever and when you retire decide.. It is easy to buy in Mexico but tough to sell in some areas so you do not have he same flexibility that you have in other places..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Joco does not have a large expat community. If you are looking for groups and things to do I would suggest relocating a little closer to Ajijic. With more than 80 clubs and groups, it is the headquarters for things to do with like minded people. If housing cost is a concern, you might consider San Juan Cosala (or even the other side of Chapala) both of which are only 10-15 minutes away from Ajijic and still offering a low cost of living and housing.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Mexico has so many places to consider so take your time and visit first. This is a good place to get information. We lived in an expat community but wound up moving up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere and love it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Mexico has so many places to consider so take your time and visit first. This is a good place to get information. We lived in an expat community but wound up moving up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere and love it.
What mountains fox? Misty sounds like Oaxaca

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
What mountains fox? Misty sounds like Oaxaca
We are just outside of Orizaba, no city or even a village. Just a small group of houses in the mountains. We are up so high we see clouds form on our land then drift up and away.

We were in Oaxaca but like the wide open spaces of the country so we built here. We still travel quite a bit, we were going to Tlacotalpan yesterday for our anniversary but it rained too much.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
To the OP I just got back to Ajijic from CHiapas and my cleaning lady was telling me this morning that Joco is getting really nasty, the cartels are fighting it out and there is according to her a lot of unreported crime, extortion , kidnapping for ransom and murders. You may want to check it out before you move in there. She also told me San Juan was also getting nasty, they found last week or so a fosa with 10 bodies above the racket club, one relative to her sisters husband was one of the 10, she says it did not make the news.. I do not know if the not making the news is correct as I was not around but it would not surprise me.. It looks like the area is heating up again, there are much more cholos hanging around all night in the 6th corner area so that is a sign it may get worst..

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
To the OP I just got back to Ajijic from CHiapas and my cleaning lady was telling me this morning that Joco is getting really nasty, the cartels are fighting it out and there is according to her a lot of unreported crime, extortion , kidnapping for ransom and murders. You may want to check it out before you move in there. She also told me San Juan was also getting nasty, they found last week or so a fosa with 10 bodies above the racket club, one relative to her sisters husband was one of the 10, she says it did not make the news.. I do not know if the not making the news is correct as I was not around but it would not surprise me.. It looks like the area is heating up again, there are much more cholos hanging around all night in the 6th corner area so that is a sign it may get worst..
Sorry to hear this, citlali. It makes my neighborhood in the CDMX seem like a pretty safe place to live.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have also heard, second hand from an expat whose sources were Mexican, that cartel figures are investing in real estate in and around Joco. My husband and I are planning on moving in the spring, and although we will look first for housing in the town of Chapala, I had been thinking about Jocotepec. The houses in Roca Azul seem just right for us, though we are looking at other factors. Would be interested in hearing more, by pm if that's preferred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello AKLady:) Have you actually moved to Jocotepec yet? Where in Alaska are you from?

We rented a lovely lakeside home in Jocotepec just a few months ago and absolutely love it! We looked at the Ajijic area and Chapala and some of the other more expat populated areas but that is not why we want to live in Mexico so chose the Jocotepec area because of the more Mexican feel of the community.

Let me know where you are now and if you are in Joco we can get together:)
Susy

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Hello AKLady:) Have you actually moved to Jocotepec yet? Where in Alaska are you from?

We rented a lovely lakeside home in Jocotepec just a few months ago and absolutely love it! We looked at the Ajijic area and Chapala and some of the other more expat populated areas but that is not why we want to live in Mexico so chose the Jocotepec area because of the more Mexican feel of the community.

Let me know where you are now and if you are in Joco we can get together:)
Susy

AKLady posted a few times in August and September of 2017 and hasn't visited since November 2017, so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts