Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did have a thread going but found it difficult to repost on it as I am new to this group. So here's a new thread on the same subject.
I am an Englishman and I would like to move to Hurghada, I have property in the El Kawser area. I am a man that is due for retirement shortly and wondered what obstacles I would find in relocating, also my main concern would be loneliness. Are there any expats in Hurghada or groups I can hook up with?
Any response I am sure would be of terrific help. Please reply.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I came out here on my own, not knowing anyone, with only a suitcase. I arranged to meet a couple of people from this site and took it from there. I introduced myself to Brits when I heard them and worked hard at getting to know people. Head down to Friends Bar in the Marina and talk to Stefan the manager, he'll introduce you to a few of the regulars. Before the football or rugby is a good time to get a crowd there.
You'll find local expats in Mesh Mesha too, in Esplanada, not far from you, but it's not such a meeting place as Friends. Jukebox 3 off Sheraton Rd opp La Pasha is also popular with some expats, and is cheaper than most places.
Get out and meet lots of people, you don't have to stay friends with anyone if you don't like to.
The Quiz at South Beach every Sunday 8pm ish is good too. Ask Terry the quizmaster to find you a team or just ask to join a table that only has two or three on it, worst they can do is say no. If you want to meet when you get here pm me and you can buy me a beer in Friends!
Best thing is to just turn up and have fun, everything you'll need is available here now, although I did bring my down duvet back with me last visit, it gets cold at night! Don't forget your warm clothes for winter evenings, including a proper coat.
Helen.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where we all live.

Thank you for the response. Is there an area where expats in Hurghada live?
El Kawser is very popular, it's new and has good supermarkets and apartments plus it's close to the Esplanada (pedestrian area) and some good beaches.
Old timers and those who prefer to be closer to the centre and Sheraton Rd choose Hadaba. I think most expats live between these two areas.
Dahar is cheapest and most authentic Egypt. Not as many expats here.
You can go out and still walk home from these 3 places (depending on where you go of course)
Arabia is quiet but still a short bus ride into town.
If you have a car the areas between Hurghada and El Gouna are ok, like Al Ahyaa and Mubarak 7.
Going south Mubarak 6 and Magawich are popular, they're mostly villas and small apartment blocks. A car is useful here but not essential.
I live further South, almost at Sahl Hashish, I like the solitude.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Viking Bar has recently taken off, new decor management etc and I've heard some great reports about it, and seen some great photos of events to. It seems to be very sociable. Haven't been yet, but a night when the band are on would be a good time to go I think. It's up the rd by Metro in Hadaba (off Sheraton Rd) just after Bombay. There is a street sign on Sheraton rd pointing to Bombay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts