Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I really hope you can help. My wife has recently taken a job offer at the EBC. We are planning on moving around the 1 September. I have some questions I hope you can answer which will help with our move.

1. do you know which area is good to live which may be approx 20 minutes train journey into Frankfurt, furnished and reasonably priced? Also somewhere with good German primary school for our two daughters? A lot to ask I know!

2. We will possibly be taking our English car over as well so will this need registering and who with or is it better to hire a van or removal firm.

3. I'm a qualified electrician so I will be looking for work myself. Can any one recommend and companies I could contact or even the local paper for job adverts I could have a look at?

4. Also do we need to register for a working visa or register for any other things ie tax etc?

Many thanks for this. Any advise is welcome!

Thanks Stevae

·
Registered
263 Posts
1. How old are your children?

2. It is probably better to sell your car and buy another one here. Converting cars is rather expensive.

3. How is your German? I would recommend contacting IHK FOSA ASAP in order to have your qualifications evaluated.

4. EU citizens don't need a visa. When you arrive you need to register (anmelden). You're also required to register for health insurance. Since your wife will be the only one working, it is better if she opts for public health insurance through her work (if possible). German public health insurance would cover the entire family.

What type of contract does your wife have? Will she be a regular employee or seconded to the ECB? There are different rules for secondment.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Moving

Hi everyone.
I really hope you can help. My wife has recently taken a job offer at the EBC. We are planning on moving around the 1 September. I have some questions I hope you can answer which will help with our move.

1. do you know which area is good to live which may be approx 20 minutes train journey into Frankfurt, furnished and reasonably priced? Also somewhere with good German primary school for our two daughters? A lot to ask I know!

All around FFM is well known for good living but expensive, but if you calc on british prices it could be reasonable - as long as you not choose for the Taunus etc.
Most of German schools are multilingual and kids learn fast

2. We will possibly be taking our English car over as well so will this need registering and who with or is it better to hire a van or removal firm.

Better let in UK

3. I'm a qualified electrician so I will be looking for work myself. Can any one recommend and companies I could contact or even the local paper for job adverts I could have a look at?

In Germany you have to get in contact with "Handwerkskammer" if you want to work in some particular jobs. Elektriker is one of these jobs - self employing without certficate isn` t possible.

4. Also do we need to register for a working visa or register for any other things ie tax etc?

As long as Brexit is not real, you 'll need no visa. All things like Bank, Insurances, Tax, Phone etc. are matter on an adress. If you get a flat you have to register at the local residence register, called "Bürgeramt" . They should help you in any cases.

Many thanks for this. Any advise is welcome!

Thanks Stevae

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to add some advice on where to look for an apartment:

Basically, the whole of FFM is quite nice. However, Bahnhofsviertel and Gutleutviertel are not the best areas. Drug addicts with syringes right in the middle of the street. You probably don't want to live there. Additionally, some suburbs in the north are also not nice at all, e.g. Kalbach, Niedereschbach and Bonames. Maybe no drug addicts on the streets, but socially very weak areas with some higher criminality levels.
I personally would also avoid Gallus. But the area has significantly improved in recent years. It probably depends on where exactly you stay. There are better and worse neighborhoods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts