Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a UK citizen and have been living in North Cyprus for the past 13 years. I am looking at moving to the Languedoc-Roussillon area with my partner (he's also a UK citizen). Our plan will be to rent somewhere for six months while we look for a place to buy which needs renovating (my partner was a builder in the UK). We would not be looking to work, although we would like eventually to build a Gite on our property to rent out for the summer months. My French is very good and I would hope a few months in France would improve it even further.
I am used to living abroad and we have private health care here, so would expect to have to have the same there, however, I am aware that each country has its own draw backs (life in North Cyprus is no bed of roses!) and would like to hear from people who live in France and what advice they could give me about living there.
Thank you for your help.
Claire

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
Hi Claire - and welcome to France.

You seem to have most of the obvious stumbling blocks taken care of - no visa issues, you have private health insurance and you speak the language. France does, indeed, have its own little peculiarities and drawbacks that you wind up getting used to.

On the Administrative side (often the biggest aggravating factor) you should get to know the Service Public website here: Accueil Particuliers - Service-public.fr Generally speaking, you can get a good overview of any administrative matter, what paperwork you need and how much it will cost. OK, there is still the little matter than each prefecture tends to interpret the "rules" in their own way, but this gives you a good idea what you're most likely to run into.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Bev. Much appreciated. I know each country has its little peculiarities, helps to have a rough idea of what to expect. We have issues here in North Cyprus to sort out before we can move, but I wanted to start doing some ground work.
Claire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts