Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my quest to relocate by visiting my french surfing buddy in Biarritz , with my whole family for Christmas in hopes we all love it there. I have experienced my first issue ( well the euro to dollar was the first problem)
What is the proper etiquette when visiting /staying with a friend. He is putting my whole family up on Christmas eve into January. Showing us around, lending us a car, surfing with me.... lending us his apartment in Paris! We will give him the great treatment when/if he visits us... but what should I bring ... American Whiskey! tee shirt from Montauk surf shop, Maple syrup? I'll take him and his son out to dinner....
I was told to have a crate of wine delivered the same day we are due to arrive? I would not know what wine or where/how to set that up. I could just stopp at a wine shop when we get there??..Any suggestions

·
Administrator
51,550 Posts
You're on the right track thinking in terms of a host/hostess gift. Ideally, something for his whole family (if he has one). Good American Bourbon would probably be appreciated, at least by your buddy, but also to have something "exotic" in his bar for entertaining purposes.

If you go with the wine, make it California wine - again, the "exotic factor". It's normally tough buying French wine for a French wine fan - everyone has their own tastes. Maple syrup is a good option, or if he has kids, t-shirts and baseball caps usually go over big (depending on the ages) - with sports team or local logos.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're on the right track thinking in terms of a host/hostess gift. Ideally, something for his whole family (if he has one). Good American Bourbon would probably be appreciated, at least by your buddy, but also to have something "exotic" in his bar for entertaining purposes.

If you go with the wine, make it California wine - again, the "exotic factor". It's normally tough buying French wine for a French wine fan - everyone has their own tastes. Maple syrup is a good option, or if he has kids, t-shirts and baseball caps usually go over big (depending on the ages) - with sports team or local logos.
Cheers,
Bev
thanks! thats what I need to know...what dowe have here that they can't get !
I wis:clap2:h I knew if surfer in France are able to get Calif. or Hawaiian style surfing tee shirts or gear. Do they even care? So thanks - merci!

G

·
thanks! thats what I need to know...what dowe have here that they can't get !
I wis:clap2:h I knew if surfer in France are able to get Calif. or Hawaiian style surfing tee shirts or gear. Do they even care? So thanks - merci!
Well yes you can get this sort of thing in France, but mostly just brand names or the likes of caps/t-shirts with the major baseball or football league names - so as Bev says more locally produced wear, with local names and logos, are always a novelty. When I come back to France from Thailand I bring stuff like t-shirts with logos from different bars around town, or with Thai script and images, the sort of thing you never see here. Ok there are kids that only want boring brand name stuff that you can find anywhere, but plenty are delighted with something original.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If they have kids (or maybe even if they don't) then some American candy bars will go down well. I travel a lot with work in various places but I always take some chocolate back for the folks in the office. I find they generally just enjoy things that they can't get at the local hypermarket. Same as anyone really!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they have kids (or maybe even if they don't) then some American candy bars will go down well. I travel a lot with work in various places but I always take some chocolate back for the folks in the office. I find they generally just enjoy things that they can't get at the local hypermarket. Same as anyone really!!
thank you all so much

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Bruce I live in that area - I think Bev is onto a good thing in terms of the Californian wine as she says it is the present from your country and your particular area, this area is big on surfing and has the european base for Quiksilver here too so it is big on surf shops and 'stuff' - as this is the Pays Basque - they will probably want to share the typical Basque stuff to you - so show them some of your stuff from the US I say!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bruce I live in that area - I think Bev is onto a good thing in terms of the Californian wine as she says it is the present from your country and your particular area, this area is big on surfing and has the european base for Quiksilver here too so it is big on surf shops and 'stuff' - as this is the Pays Basque - they will probably want to share the typical Basque stuff to you - so show them some of your stuff from the US I say!
it is an eye opener to realize we have so much and so little quality compared to them.
LI wine (Long Island , New York) is over priced and mediocre. But it is the thoght and a converstion starter. American small batch whiskey!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is an eye opener to realize we have so much and so little quality compared to them.
LI wine (Long Island , New York) is over priced and mediocre. But it is the thought and a conversation starter. American small batch whiskey!

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you are going over for christmas, you could always put together a hamper of typical, tradition things you do/eat/have over Christmas? I dunno!? Just a suggestion :) I am sure they will be happy that you have put the thought into whatever you come up with. If your friend surfs a t-shirt from your local surf shop (with the name etc ) might be a nice touch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you are going over for christmas, you could always put together a hamper of typical, tradition things you do/eat/have over Christmas? I dunno!? Just a suggestion :) I am sure they will be happy that you have put the thought into whatever you come up with. If your friend surfs a t-shirt from your local surf shop (with the name etc ) might be a nice touch.
American Whiskey, beach plum jelly, surf shirt from Montauk.... just for fun individually wrapped sliced American cheese. If he has not seen it I'm sure he will find it funny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.