Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone will be kind enough to reply with any knowledge they have regarding this situation. I am an American college grad ( last year) who took a job as a nanny for a wealthy American family in Boston. They are going to move to france for a year next fall (they are not employed) and have asked me to come with them. I have a passport but they haven't provided me with much information about a visa. There was some mention of them paying for classes for me so a student visa? Will they legally be able to pay me? They are going to provide me with a separate flat and I hope my regular paycheck. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Your options would seem to be either a student visa (which means you would have to be enrolled in an academic program of some sort) or possibly an au pair visa - though that would require that you take French language classes and would severely limit your working hours and conditions. (An au pair visa is basically a type of student visa, but you would need to have a standard au pair contract.)

An American family would not be able to get you a "work visa" because that requires that they would have to justify hiring a foreigner over a French or EU national. The process is difficult, even for large companies.

We've had folks through here asking about taking an au pair or nanny to France and frankly, the outlook isn't very good.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I understand you are saying it is unlikely to get any sort of work visa. I will probably be taking classes and applying for a student visa. Do you think the embassy people will have a problem with my "friend" (current employer) paying for my living expenses and school?

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
If there appears to be an "employer" relationship with the benefactor who is paying your way, the consulate could object to the visa. Your employers should probably look into the au pair visa and see if you could live with that.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.