Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am moving to France in December from New Zealand to join my French partner. I am a software developer working on a project in New Zealand where it is possible for me to work remotely. The company I work for has no affiliation with France.

Is it possible to do this?

Cheers,
Scott

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
It can come down to precisely what you mean by your "French partner." France will not recognize de facto relationships, so if you aren't married to your French partner, all bets are off. (France does have "marriage for all" plus the PACS arrangement, though a PACS will not guarantee you a visa the way marriage would do.)

As to working remotely while in France, this is a very gray area and will depend greatly on the exact type of visa (actually "residence permit") that you are on. The argument has nothing to do with "not taking a French job" but rather being properly registered with the French "cotisation" agencies (basically social insurances) and tax authorities as tax resident in France. Under French tax law, you are considered tax resident in France if you are conducting a business in France (i.e. physically located in France while doing the work for which you're being paid) or if you have your primary residence in France. On a visitor visa, you are not allowed to work while living in France. On a spouse visa, you have full working rights, but must be properly registered with the appropriate agencies.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts