Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am an American student, age 18. I would be going alone and have a little knowledge of the French language from courses in school but I need to learn more. If anyone has advice on ways to move there that are manageable for a students income, ( close to nothing, haha), such as staying with a host family, room mates, work programs, etc. it would be very much appreciated!! I am open to whatever ways are possible, thank you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
From what you say about your situation, the only way I can think of living in France on nothing is prayers - lots of prayers...

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Welcome to our forum!

First question.....why France? If you want to gain "world experience" it's probably better to finance it with money earned in the US before you leave.

You would need some type of visa to enter France.....typically visitor visas prohibit work.....much the same as the US and the green card.. Have you researched this?

Have you thought about visiting France on the univerisity exchange programs...eg Erasmus?

In order to be comfortable in France, and to benefit from its culture you really need passable Franch language skills.

Perhaps a little more research and deep thinking?

DejW

Hello, I am an American student, age 18. I would be going alone and have a little knowledge of the French language from courses in school but I need to learn more. If anyone has advice on ways to move there that are manageable for a students income, ( close to nothing, haha), such as staying with a host family, room mates, work programs, etc. it would be very much appreciated!! I am open to whatever ways are possible, thank you.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
I think about your only route to obtaining the appropriate visa would be as a student. One issue being, however, that to attend a French university, you pretty much have to have one year of US college under your belt. (There is an extra year of French public education, and university in France is subject oriented - no "general requirements" to fulfill in your freshman and sophomore years.)

Any visa is going to require you to have the financial means to carry you through your intended stay - though the requirements are somewhat less for a student visa. Tuition fees are very low (actually, mostly an "administrative fee") for the French public universities and there is an expectation that you can get by on a "student income." The "trick" is that French universities require you to have a certain level of French.

You may want to take a look at the Campus France website here: USA
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts