Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello everyone, including our forum moderators. I write this post in the hope that I can save a few innocents from falling into the hole that I, and many others, now inhabit. If you are a moderator and are tempted to delete this post, please, in the name of humanity, consider the personal suffering that might ensue by censoring my words.
I have lived in France for over ten years. I will not bore you with a lengthy blow by blow description but I do feel compelled to share some of the results of my move here from GB in the hope that my loss may avert yours.
I relocated my business to Normandy. The bureaucracy was amazing, but no news there. Its just paper, right? No! This destructive force in France is simply a symptom of a deeper national mindset and you need to know about. I have been forced into state contracts, robbed by the tax officials, notaires, locals etc, my best horse with world class breeding was shot in the face by the Maire and his drunk friends and covered up by Le Procureur and Le Juge d'instruction, I was told that I would be arrested if I worked at my new installation as I did not have French qualifications (despite being world wide qualified), and despite the Ministerial authorities telling me 'we know eu law is on your side, but we don't want foreigners here, take us to court, in ten years you will lose whatever the law says' and he was right! They aaccept their corruption as normal! It is clear now that unlike other democratic countries, if a low level official steals or acts outside the law, you are powerless. Ok, no problem, you will stay out of trouble, right? It will find you! They are predatory and always in the right. Try living with that!

Now I am sure you are thinking ' bet he caused trouble', or 'what an idiot' as I did when I heard others (of all nationalities) tell ruinous stories of corruption and victimisation when I first arrived. Judge at your own peril. I was warned, but I dismissed the messengers as crazy. I have to add that the advice of expats/immigrants on these forums is relative only to your situation. If you are advised by someone who is retired, for example, please remember that they do not work, compete for clients, have admin nightmares on a business scale and probably don't speak French fluently so their view is not relevant to a younger person's situation, however sure they are about their accuracy.
Simply put, I have found that this country has no moral core to its society. It is 'sociopathic'. I have discovered that French culture of courtoisie and formality is a veneer of a once proud nation but it now shrouds a society entirely driven by theft, deception, conspiracy, discrimination, xenophobia, racism, hate, jelousy, laziness, dishonesty, cheating, lying etc, unlike other cultures that seem to have a healthier balance between good and bad traits, France is the most negative culture I have experienced.
Believe your own experiences and do what you feel but, unlike myself, please do not forgive them and plough on with your French experience when the words of this post start to ring true for you. I did, assuming that I could adapt. Big mistake, as I was simply dragged down even deeper. Once a highly qualified professional, I am now a peasant with nothing and what is particularly poignant is that different groups have worked collectively for this to happen. Strangely, most of the people who have damaged my family the most I have never met, nor are in contact with each other. This is how severely xenophobic they are. Their hatred of foreigners is national and all encompassing.
I have estimated that 1 in 5 french people are trustworthy, but that is not enough of a proportion to live. You are on the defensive all the time and often only realise you have been had after it is all over. Don't forget they have been behaving like this from birth, so if you are an 'Anglo' you will never catch up.
I don't expect this post to be published as free speech is 'interdit' in France, but I write in the hope that somewhere there are people with a conscience stronger than their self interest. Best wishes to all of you, from wherever you come from on this beautiful but troubled world.

<snip>

Peace.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree in principle, hence my post. If you want self determination, it makes sense to locate yourself where you are free to do just that. France is definitely not that place as regulation and corruption are primary, choice secondary. If you have dodged the bullets, I am happy for you. Having said that, have you checked the postbox today????

·
Registered
386 Posts
Agree with a lot of your comments...france is not open for business people or investors ...they dont want that...they are a beautiful proud country with a mature economy that needs to be maintained not grown. They dont like the anglo saxon culture of greed and competitiveness and i dont blame them for not liking it. France is for french people with little or no ambition however the country at least provides a lot of benefits , resources and a strong system for their citizens....in countries like usa and uk...yes u have better opportunities but u dont get the protection or rights people get in france. As for xenophobia..the entire world is xenophobic...one should make money in their country of origin and just travel to appreciate other countries...this is the best strategy in my opinion.

I've criticised france as well but i know i have no right to do so..the country is beautiful to visit and experience but not to settle...not for a young person at least. Like u said for retired people its perfect. As an indian though i didnt particularly face any direct racism in france...they were mostly welcoming to me but then thats maybe because i never needed to work in france so never dealt with many of the problems u stated. However i lived in the uk as well for a few years and didnt need to work there either as i am a person of independent means but in Uk ...i still dealt with extremely high levels of racism and xenphobia and thats the only reason i left uk...yes uk is more progressive and easier to do business but they make your life hell as a foreigner in uk for no reason...even just to enter the country and spend money there they treat u like a 3rd class citizen...if france is what u described then i am so sorry to tell you that UK is a completely broken society...there is much more crime, violence and anti social behaviour in uk cmpared to france...a french friend of mine jokes about this that in england if u go mad u can kill someone ...but in france if u go mad u just kill yourself..lol.

·
Administrator
51,911 Posts
Everyone has their own experience of France, depending upon their reasons for coming here, their reasons for staying and to what extent they realized what they were getting themselves into when they decided to move.

Your experience here sounds pretty awful, and I have no doubts that you have little or nothing good to say about France and the French. Have you considered what your alternatives are? Can you not return to the UK? Or move on to another country where the local culture might be a bit more to your liking? Or even just move to another part of France?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bev! Thanks for the pointers. I have and am searching for alternatives. With an extended family and a yard full of horses, relocating is tricky now that the French authorities have financially punished me for starting my European business on their soil. I appreciate your kind words and tolerance of my uncharacteristic strong views, but the reason for my post is not for solutions nor sympathy but to prevent the innocent from unwittingly walking through the gates of hell. I cannot stand by and watch another kind family be slowly dismantled 'french style'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.