Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Canadian citizen living in Sri Lanka with my husband. We would like to move to the Middle East specially Dubai or Qatar. I am Accounts Payable Administrator and my husband is a Cook. We want to come on visit visa's and look for jobs. I would like know where we can find cheap accommodation until we find jobs. Also how much money should we bring to survive until we find jobs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would do the same if you ever moved to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
I am a Canadian citizen living in Sri Lanka with my husband. We would like to move to the Middle East specially Dubai or Qatar. I am Accounts Payable Administrator and my husband is a Cook. We want to come on visit visa's and look for jobs. I would like know where we can find cheap accommodation until we find jobs. Also how much money should we bring to survive until we find jobs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would do the same if you ever moved to Canada.
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
When were you thinking of coming to this region?
Ramadan will be starting at the end of next week and this means that the whole region slows down until early September.
Both of you would normally be able to find jobs - but neither would be particularly well paid.
In Dubai - you would probably earn around 10,000 AED per month, between you.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Steve. We are planning to move after Ramadan in August. Is it hard to find jobs in Dubai as people say? We are mostly looking for the experience living in the middle east. 10,000 AED would be fine for us for the beginning. Do you know any companies that are hiring? If so please let me know. Also do you know any cheap accommodation until we find jobs? I have never been to the middle east except to the Dubai airport��.your help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you like to read because this forum is FULL of information.

Try using the SEARCH function, or just go back through the most recent threads. Take lots of notes.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Sri Lanka with my husband. We would like to move to the Middle East specially Dubai or Qatar. I am Accounts Payable Administrator and my husband is a Cook. We want to come on visit visa's and look for jobs. I would like know where we can find cheap accommodation until we find jobs.

I would do the same if you ever moved to Canada.
Mom, is that you?

(Just a heads up, there's also a forum for expats in Canada. That too is FULL of info. But if you're inclined to be helpful then by all means get yourself in there and start opining!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the offer. Any where in UAE is ok with us including Abu Dhabi. I would like to know some details before making a decision. Please give me some info regarding yourself if you don't mind. You can inbox me the info if you prefer. Do you live in an apartment? How old r u? I would need to find a place until we find jobs. You are very kind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you for the offer. Any where in UAE is ok with us including Abu Dhabi. I would like to know some details before making a decision. Please give me some info regarding yourself if you don't mind. You can inbox me the info if you prefer. Do you live in an apartment? How old r u? I would need to find a place until we find jobs. You are very kind.
do you know how to inbox?? i'm new here. if you send me a PM i will reply but i'm not sure how to PM you...

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
PM facility is activated by the system after 5 useful posts.

A word of caution, please do not share personal information over the forum as this is against forum rules. I would also advise against sharing personal information via PM to anyone that you have not yet met.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi aleleeson, I saw your visitor message and don't know how to reply either. I am new to this forum as well. Please let me know how to reply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure, no problem��. Which country are u from if you don't mind asking? Since I don't see a pic I am assuming I am talking to a female (Alison) right?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If you think 10,000 AED between the two of you is fine, you have no idea what you're getting into.

Why would anyone with a Canadian passport move to the UAE on 10K or less a month beggars belief.

It is an extraordinarily expensive country.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not always about the money even though money is important. Its about living in different countries and experiencing the culture. Me being a Muslim have never lived in a Muslim country.I always wondered what it is like to live in the middle east.

I will always be a proud Canadian no matter which country I live in. In fact I am only looking at 2 years in the middle east.

Canada will always be my home my parents and sister lives there.

I love Canada and always will

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You still don't get it.

10K a month means the crappiest studio in Sharjah, at least two hours away from where you'll be working. And both you and your husband will be working six day weeks. At least 10 hours in the office/kitchen, with 4 hour daily commutes on top of that.

It means driving a 10 year old wreck just to get to work and unable to go any faster than 60km while 4x4s fly by you and barely miss.

It means having next to no social life because you won't afford anything beyond the most basic and simplest of cafeterias.

You will not be experiencing the Middle East insomuch as experiencing poverty.

It's not always about the money even though money is important. Its about living in different countries and experiencing the culture. Me being a Muslim have never lived in a Muslim country.I always wondered what it is like to live in the middle east.

I will always be a proud Canadian no matter which country I live in. In fact I am only looking at 2 years in the middle east.

Canada will always be my home my parents and sister lives there.

I love Canada and always will

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get it. Really.I am not looking for a life of luxury just the basic would do it for now as we don't have any kids yet.
It's a dream of mine to live in the middle east. Let me do it the best way possible. Why r u being such a Debbie Downer?
I don't want to live with any regrets and with "WHAT IFS" later on in life. At least I gave it a try.

As much as love Canada I don't miss the brutal winters. We all need to getaway sometime.

How much do you think you need to live in the middle east? I am not only looking at Dubai certainly not downtown Dubai. I mean City Centre.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts