Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm moving to Dubai from London at the end of April to work for a major fashion retail company. I'm gay, single and 44 but still like to socialize at the weekend. I don't know anyone in Dubai but would really like to get to know some genuine ex-pats before I move over. It would be great to hear from some of you guys -
Cheers.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Enjoy the forum.

I am always curious why people put they are gay in a post. I dont ever see people put that they are straight in their post. Always curious why people do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know really - someone's sexuality isn't a big issue with me but I know for some people it is. I suppose I just wanted to be open and honest from the start.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I am a curious sort.. Just asking :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to be curious - what do you do in Dubai? I can't put a smiley face on my reply - I'm not that good on computers, it took me a while to work out how to actually put a message on here!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
you just put a : and a D together.

I work a very boring job that works me long hours four days a week. I have off odd days and dont tend to get to join in on any of the fun weekend games. I golf, reef, and at home, spend my days out riding. Still debating on if I should buy a motorcycle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a piece of advice... don't be too open about your sexuality when you land in Dubai. Some of my gay mates have got into trouble because of it. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with the poster above, be aware and conscious that you are choosing to put yourself in a dangerous situation from the get-go and that, if you get into trouble for this (even unfairly), you should not pin your hopes on your personal view of justice being carried out.

Not an ideal situation obviously, so its important to keep in mind.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I...... be aware and conscious that you are choosing to put yourself in a dangerous situation from the get-go......
Isn't that a little over the top? I quite agree that it is advisable to be aware that homosexual acts are illegal here but then so is Skype and I use that in private, but I wouldn't say this was a dangerous situation

Just keep it on the down low, PDA's are frowned upon here whether your straight, gay or other, so just go with it. I know a few gay guys and gals here who get on just fine. If you're looking at finding the Dubai version of Popstarz you might be disappointed though (I'm not even sure they know what a Guitar is here let alone play music that has one in it! - thread Hijack; is there an Indie club in Dubai?)

Welcome to the beach! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apologies if it came off as over the top. Just a friendly word of caution as I've lived here long enough to see that whether its skype or anything else, people slowly forget that they actually chose to do something which could get them into trouble (no matter how unlikely or insignificant). Don't want anyone being lulled into a false sense of security, would be unfair to the person.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Apologies if it came off as over the top. Just a friendly word of caution as I've lived here long enough to see that whether its skype or anything else, people slowly forget that they actually chose to do something which could get them into trouble (no matter how unlikely or insignificant). Don't want anyone being lulled into a false sense of security, would be unfair to the person.
Fair point dude :thumb: just didn't **** to scare the guy off.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I agree, homosexuality exists everywhere, but it doesn't mean you have to tell everyone about it, just do your things quietly, especially I heard in UAE it's not allowed by law, right Local?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Being gay is not illegal - that'd be daft even for here. Homosexual acts however, are against the law. Doesn't mean they don't happen though or that there are no gay Emiratis...

-

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Being gay is not illegal - that'd be daft even for here. Homosexual acts however, are against the law. Doesn't mean they don't happen though or that there are no gay Emiratis...

-
thanks for correction, i didn't express myself clearly, what you said is exactly what i meant )))
there are of course gays in UAE precisely

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Is skype illegal or banned? This is what is standing out in this thread to me :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ella and Yousef,

To be categorized as homosexual, four independent witnesses must testify that they saw you engaging in an act of homosexuality. Article 354 of the Federal Penal Code states that an act of homosexuality or rape is against the law and technically punishable by death if it meets all the conditions. The ultimate point of article 354 is to determine whether you are or are not homosexual or a rapist.

Within Islam, and as a consequence the UAE, there is lots of debate about:

- What is "independent"?
- What is an "act of homosexuality"? Is it behaving like one or actually having sex with someone of the same sex?
- Is the number FOUR basically trying to say "just don't be public about it, everyone mind their own business"?

Ofcourse, these conditions are all unnecessary if the person makes a public statement admitting to being homosexual.

Also worth noting is that there have been multiple waves of (what can only be described as) the arresting of homosexuals to make a point. This all started when a gay couple decided to get married in Dubai, booked out a hall and invited a large group of people for the wedding. They, ofcourse, got busted and subsequently the police have become stricter on these things.

Even more worth noting is that the police are far more strict on Emirati homosexuals (no proof, just appears this way to me) because it is far more controversial in Emirati culture I guess.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know that the UAE has in fact signed a human rights agreement with a group of UN countries regarding these kinds of freedoms. It is an issue because the federal penal code is in direct contradiction to the agreement according to the interpretation of the UN. Maybe someone can find an article on this.

I like to put a discliamer that I'm stating facts here, not my opinions.

My opnion on the matter is to each their own. I care about myself and my community, and any threats to the development of myself and my community. My community is open to everyone who has a genuine interest in developing this community, regardless of race, religion, etc.

Everything else is unconstructive whining and blabbing IMO. Not that there's anything wrong with letting off steam, just that I think there are better ways than whining to deal with frustration - i.e. take a positive/appropriate action towards fixing what you don't like. It may go unheard at first, but someone has to take the first step, and if a lot of people agree, then the action will find some legs and make its way to a decision maker.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Is illegal the same thing as a company banning something???? My mind tells me that it can not be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.