Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Finaly I'm moving to Dubai in May. I'm excited about meeting a new culture and actually I'm curious about Dubai ''World''.

I'm going by my own with a contract so I want to ask you to tell me nice places to party, coffees, restaurants, everything to enjoy after work. I will live near to Palm Jumeirah, I mean 20 minutes by car.

Also, in Dubai it's legal having 2 jobs? Probably I'm think about find a job during night in Clubs, as hostess for example, I dunno yet.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everyone,

Finaly I'm moving to Dubai in May. I'm excited about meeting a new culture and actually I'm curious about Dubai ''World''.

I'm going by my own with a contract so I want to ask you to tell me nice places to party, coffees, restaurants, everything to enjoy after work. I will live near to Palm Jumeirah, I mean 20 minutes by car.

Also, in Dubai it's legal having 2 jobs? Probably I'm think about find a job during night in Clubs, as hostess for example, I dunno yet.

Thanks a lot :)
Welcome to Dubai! :)

You will find plenty of places to party, hang out and make friends in Dubai. Dubai Marina is one of the hottest places where you can find all that you are looking for. And I think you will be living in the same area if you are just 20 minutes away from Palm Jumeirah? Even if you will not be living in Marina, you will still not be very far so dont worry. :)

You will find plenty of restaurants in Dubai offering a variety of cuisines so you can get anything you are craving for. There are plenty of Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme franchises all across so you wont find it difficult to get a good cup of coffee and possibly a bite. There are also Sheesha places all around where you can chill out. As for partying, there are quite a lot of bars/clubs around but, unfortunately, some of the bars/clubs in Bur Dubai/Deira area are meat markets so try to avoid those areas. But you can find plenty of 'clean' party places in Madinat Jumeirah and Dubai Marina which I think will be near your place. I live in Barsha (same 20 minute drive to Palm Jumeirah) and I find it more convenient to drive out to Madinat Jumeirah where I can find everything at one stop like restaurants, coffee shops, sheesha and bars/clubs etc. with a beautifull view of Burj Al Arab :) Another place which I think is in the good books of all expats over here is "Barasti" located in Dubai Marina which is a beach club/bar and a good place to hang out for expats, specially over the weekends.

As for your query for having 2 jobs, a person's visa is usually sponsored by their employers and authorities might create trouble for persons working with a different employer other than the one sponsoring them. It is for sure that you cannot be working full time with a different employer without having to work for the employer who sponsored your visa. However, I am not sure if there is any law for those who work for both employers with one sponsoring their visa. Personally, I know ppl working as free-lancers for different organizations after their normal work hours with their main employers. So I think you should clarify with your sponsoring employer if you can find a job after your normal working hours with them. Or maybe some other expats in the forum might help.

Feel free to shout if anything is left unclear :)

Regards,
Razi

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My. Good coffee at these places? Fancy that...

There are plenty of Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme franchises all across so you wont find it difficult to get a good cup of coffee
It's illegal to work for anyone who's not your sponsor unless you have an actual freelance visa, which is only granted under certain circumstances.

All contracts will have a clause prohibiting you from taking on a second job and working for another employer. Having said that, there are quite a few people quietly providing consulting work on the side. It's still illegal....

Working as a hostess probably doesn't pay very well, so she'd have to balance working full time then working another long shift at night. Is it worth it for a few extra thousand AED/month?

Unless, of course, she's talking about being a different kind of "hostess".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My. Good coffee at these places? Fancy that...

It's illegal to work for anyone who's not your sponsor unless you have an actual freelance visa, which is only granted under certain circumstances.

All contracts will have a clause prohibiting you from taking on a second job and working for another employer. Having said that, there are quite a few people quietly providing consulting work on the side. It's still illegal....

Working as a hostess probably doesn't pay very well, so she'd have to balance working full time then working another long shift at night. Is it worth it for a few extra thousand AED/month?

Unless, of course, she's talking about being a different kind of "hostess".
Of course I'm talking being hostess, normal hostess... I dont know whats hostess do at night there but here they are just hostess, checking all the names in Guest Lists and giving welcome to all the guest. That's what I'm lookin for, or working as barmaid. Because at day I will be working. Actually I did not see anything in my contract that told me that I just can have 1 job but if it's not possible it's still ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Dubai! :)

You will find plenty of places to party, hang out and make friends in Dubai. Dubai Marina is one of the hottest places where you can find all that you are looking for. And I think you will be living in the same area if you are just 20 minutes away from Palm Jumeirah? Even if you will not be living in Marina, you will still not be very far so dont worry. :)

You will find plenty of restaurants in Dubai offering a variety of cuisines so you can get anything you are craving for. There are plenty of Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme franchises all across so you wont find it difficult to get a good cup of coffee and possibly a bite. There are also Sheesha places all around where you can chill out. As for partying, there are quite a lot of bars/clubs around but, unfortunately, some of the bars/clubs in Bur Dubai/Deira area are meat markets so try to avoid those areas. But you can find plenty of 'clean' party places in Madinat Jumeirah and Dubai Marina which I think will be near your place. I live in Barsha (same 20 minute drive to Palm Jumeirah) and I find it more convenient to drive out to Madinat Jumeirah where I can find everything at one stop like restaurants, coffee shops, sheesha and bars/clubs etc. with a beautifull view of Burj Al Arab :) Another place which I think is in the good books of all expats over here is "Barasti" located in Dubai Marina which is a beach club/bar and a good place to hang out for expats, specially over the weekends.

As for your query for having 2 jobs, a person's visa is usually sponsored by their employers and authorities might create trouble for persons working with a different employer other than the one sponsoring them. It is for sure that you cannot be working full time with a different employer without having to work for the employer who sponsored your visa. However, I am not sure if there is any law for those who work for both employers with one sponsoring their visa. Personally, I know ppl working as free-lancers for different organizations after their normal work hours with their main employers. So I think you should clarify with your sponsoring employer if you can find a job after your normal working hours with them. Or maybe some other expats in the forum might help.

Feel free to shout if anything is left unclear :)

Regards,
Razi

Hello,

Thank you very much for your time writing me all of this. :):)

I will talk about it with my sponsor but first of all I will adapt myself. The beginnings it's always the hardest part.

Many thanks,
Ana :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts