Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  vantage 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Dubai soon this September, and had a few questions I'd greatly appreciate having answered.

I'm looking for a place to find an apartment, preferably furnished (studio or 1BHK) at a convenient location since I'll be working at Deira and my fiancee is working by the Palm (I know we're not advised to live together, so this is an apartment only for myself) and my housing allowance is AED45k a year.

Secondly any advice on getting used to Dubai will be greatly appreciated since I've only been there on transit in the past. I'd love anything you can tell me about cost of living, transport etc. etc. since from my understanding the Dubai metro is slow and needs ample preparation time to get used to.

Lastly, if someone could let me know a good way to get a used car, nothing fancy, just a 4 door hatchback or economy like the Polo, for around 10k AED I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance and I really appreciate it.

#2 ·
The stickies at the top will answer a lot of questions.

AED 45k isn't much even for a studio. You will get more for your money if you look at unfurnished places even if you have to budget AED 5k or so for IKEA furniture. Your employer might pay for you to ship some stuff too.

Look at dubizzle for an idea of prices or propertyfinder.ae for apartments.

#7 ·
45k unfurnished studio, you can find one but quality wise not very good.
You can check dubizzle for 2nd hand car and studio apartment.

Starting up in Dubai is ain't easy, you will need to have some money for start up.
Having apartment, you need 5-10% security deposit and 5% agency fee, unless you rent it direct from landlord.

Best way to travel around is metro, cost around 1 euro each time.
I have a studio fully furnished to rent out myself, at JLT metro station, now housing in Dubai is climbing a lot.

Probably with your budget, you can look for sth sharing or outside Dubai like discovery garden or nahda or international city.

#8 ·
By law.. Only married couple allow to be together. If anyone report, police found out you could be in big trouble.

You can google about the couple from uk, who stay in the same room in address hotel, the woman then was raped by the bellboy. She and her fiancé reported to police. The first thing police did is put the lady in jail as she was not married and stay in the same room with man. This was a big talk back then ...
Read this links and you understand Dubai better :)
You Could Still Go to Jail For Being Raped in Dubai | Care2 Causes

#9 ·
Yes, it's illegal. Yes, it's enforced (to a point). However.......fearmongering like this is frustrating. Everyone talks about being jailed for rape but nobody talks about the man who got jailed for attempted rape earlier last month.

To me, that screams: Dubai Police did their job well!
It's not all jail and deportation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.