Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i am moving out to Dubai today with my 2 year old daughter and hubby. We are very excited.
will be moving to Dubai Marina area. Have a few questions

1. where is the best place to go grocery shopping? the cheapest and with the best products?
2. is there anything like online grocery shopping?
3. healthcare question. As my hubby is self emplyed we are required to get our own health insurance. Can anyone reccommend a good company as we need this ASAP
4. what is the closest and best beach near to Dubai Marina ?
5. what would you say are the main pros and cons for living in Dubai? I have decided to give it a year and see how we get on. fingers crossed

that's it for now

thanks

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
hi all

i am moving out to Dubai today with my 2 year old daughter and hubby. We are very excited.
will be moving to Dubai Marina area. Have a few questions

1. where is the best place to go grocery shopping? the cheapest and with the best products?
I live in the Marina and tend to shop at Carrefour at Mall of the Emirates. You also have the option of shopping at Geant in Ibn Battuta Mall. In the Marina itself, there is Waitrose, which stocks a fair share of UK products, alongside some local brands. Spinneys is also nearby. Most apartment blocks also have a grocery store nearby, though they tend to be slightly more pricey than the larger supermarkets.
I'm not sure that there is one supermarket that is cheap across the board. Some products are cheaper at Carrefour, whilst others are cheaper at Waitrose. Once you get here, try all of them and you'll soon develop a preference for one.

2. is there anything like online grocery shopping?
Yes, there is but you will not be able to get everything online and the choices are pretty restrictive. I've used Early Bird before. The major supermarket do not offer online shopping though the grocery store in your apartment building will typically deliver a few items if you call them up

3. healthcare question. As my hubby is self emplyed we are required to get our own health insurance. Can anyone reccommend a good company as we need this ASAP
Elphaba may be better placed to answer this question. My company provides health insurance for me so I take what I get; never bothered to do any comparison.

4. what is the closest and best beach near to Dubai Marina ?
Across the road from the Marina, there is a public beach. The area is known as JBR. If you get on JBR Walk, you'll get to the beach. Depending on where you are in the Marina, you can walk there or it's no more than 5 minutes drive. On the weekend, it can get pretty busy though so get there early if you want a nice spot.

5. what would you say are the main pros and cons for living in Dubai? I have decided to give it a year and see how we get on. fingers crossed
I will refrain from answering this question simply because it varies from person to person. What I see as an advantage may be regarded as the opposite by someone else. If you have done enough research, then very few things will surprise you. One year is more than enough for you to decide whether Dubai is for you

that's it for now

thanks
Good luck with the move here and hope you and your family enjoy your time here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.