Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys,

I am moving to Dubai in Mid June to Join Emirates (Technology Team) as a Contractor for a position equivalent to Grade 9. I am planning to travel with my wife and kid (1-year-old), book a serviced apartment for the first month and hunt for an apartment after I get my residence visa.
However, my payroll company HR suggested that I travel alone and settle down and get my wife and child to travel few weeks later. He did not give me the rationale for the same.
Do you guys see (or faced) any challenge when getting your family along while moving to Dubai?
Anything else I should be careful about?

Thanks a Lot!
Cheers,
Ugly Kid

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Howdy Guys,

I am moving to Dubai in Mid June to Join Emirates (Technology Team) as a Contractor for a position equivalent to Grade 9. I am planning to travel with my wife and kid (1-year-old), book a serviced apartment for the first month and hunt for an apartment after I get my residence visa.
However, my payroll company HR suggested that I travel alone and settle down and get my wife and child to travel few weeks later. He did not give me the rationale for the same.
Do you guys see (or faced) any challenge when getting your family along while moving to Dubai?
Anything else I should be careful about?

Thanks a Lot!
Cheers,
Ugly Kid
Indian citizens don't get visa on arrival so the company would need to organise an initial tourist visa for your family. You can't sponsor your family until your own visa is sorted. Perhaps any Indians with family here can shed some more light?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
the company can easily get them a visit visa (and can renew it for another 30 days).

They should have already applied for your residency visa, and before you travel you should get the pink entry permit - if they haven't done so, they are being lazy and disorganised. Employees in my previous company in Dubai used to get their visas done in 3-4 days.

So the steps would be: you get your visa, then find an apartment and get the tenancy done, and then apply for your family's residency. Obviously it becomes a bit tight if your visa gets delayed and you may have to extend your family's visa and possibly extend your stay in the hotel apartment.

I cant see any reason why your family cant come over along with you. If they cant process your visa on time, the least they should do is pay for your family's visa extension.

Dont forget to bring along your attested marriage certificate and your child's attested birth certificate. (I am sure your company must have guided you on attestations).

If the paperwork is correct, the family's visa takes 2-3 days. Get the "VIP"medical test done and the "urgent" visa application. Kids dont have to undergo medical test.

I just recalled that your family may have to leave UAE and come back (say on a flight to Oman and the same plane back) when the residency is approved and the visit visa needs to be changed to residency. My family didnt need to do this, but I also know of cases where this was required.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd advise against, to be honest, having recently been through the process of relocation with my wife and a three year old boy.

It was only through circumstance with my wife's notice period that we ended up not travelling out at the same time, but in hindsight I'm glad that it worked the way it did.

It allowed me to find my feet and live reasonably frugally until my family arrived. Being cooped up with a one year old far from friends and family while you're spending your time focussed on a new job might not be easy on your wife.

In the end, my wife arrived 6 weeks after me and I was able to sort a house, car etc without having to drag a one year old around Ikea etc.

It's a fairly stressful time relocating, and I'm glad in hindsight that I was able to get my head down and bash through it without having to worry about anything else.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'd advise against, to be honest....
x2... if its an option... i would also suggest have your family join you later...

its infinitely less hassle if they join you a few weeks later... it gives you a chance to get things set up and sorted with accommodation, transport and your own residency stuff without the added stress of having to figure out your family's paperwork as well at the same time... there will be a hundred little details to sort out for your own situation while you are getting used to a new job and culture...

and the time apart may even make your wife appreciate you more... although i highly doubt it...

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
x2... if its an option... i would also suggest have your family join you later...

its infinitely less hassle if they join you a few weeks later... it gives you a chance to get things set up and sorted with accommodation, transport and your own residency stuff without the added stress of having to figure out your family's paperwork as well at the same time... there will be a hundred little details to sort out for your own situation while you are getting used to a new job and culture...

and the time apart may even make your wife appreciate you more... although i highly doubt it...
X3. Give yourself a month to 6 weeks here first.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Depends on your family situation. If your wife isn't (currently) working, you'll find it easier to delegate tasks to her. Let's be honest, she's going to have final say on where you live, so if you just set her the task of apartment/villa hunting then a lot of the stress will be taken off moving internationally.

Then there's getting it set up and furnished. Another wifey job. My OH asked me to come with him, but he definitely didn't gripe that he didn't have to go furniture shopping unless I needed a hand carrying something.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
i don't have the authority to assign tasks, just complete them as directed...

been here for two years and im still stressed out...
Then you obviously have forgotten to do something the wifey assigned you... :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
We came separately and was better for it. Gave my husband time to settle in to his job and do the house hunting plus buying furniture we needed before we arrived.
We followed on 8 weeks later and able to move in to the apartment straight up rather than a hotel with our son then a move again. Kept a bit of balance for our Then 4 year old before the rest of our shipped goods arrived.
It was easier then with our paperwork as his PRO had started things for our arrival.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts