Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am hoping to have a pressing question answered. I am moving to Dubai for a new job in early September from the USA. I receive three weeks paid accommodation in Dubai upon arrival, and am hoping to find an apartment in this time frame. From what I understand, I cannot sign a lease until both my residency visa is completed and my first day at work (my employer provides my housing up-front on my first day of work). On that note-

I was wondering how long it will take for my residency visa to clear? For instance, if I start on September 1, and am hoping to sign my lease to move in by September 2, when should I look to arrive Dubai? Upon arriving, what should my steps be? How long will it take to receive my Emirates ID Card (needed to open an Etisalat Postpaid account)? How long will it take to be able to do the X-Ray and HIV test? After completing these tests, how long will it take to get the visa stamped in my passport so I can sign my lease?

Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
if you think you can have your housing set up by 2nd September manage your expectations. If there are no issues in your visa application (and guessing by your user name you may be of Arab descent but an American passport - hence likely to receive more scrutiny) the medical test can be done in a few days to a few weeks after the application is lodged and approved. After the medical, takes a couple of days for visa stamping.
So come over end of August, keeps fingers crossed, be prompt in providing all your attested documents, and be prepared to continue staying in a serviced apartment for more than 3 weeks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I think I'm going to arrive 2 weeks before my start date, hopefully this is enough time. I am born & raised in America just as your suspicions guessed, and am working for an American firm so I think they will be able to take care of everything. Thanks for your advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts