Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will miss my hometown we are spoiled here weather, mountains,beach,santa Barbara, san Diego, BUT willing to try out new adventures as my husband got hired onto fly Dubai! Tax free sounds good to me too. We traveled there earlier this year in July to visit . Good thing their is other pilot wife s that will be moving too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moving to Dubai

I will miss my hometown we are spoiled here weather, mountains,beach,santa Barbara, san Diego, BUT willing to try out new adventures as my husband got hired onto fly Dubai! Tax free sounds good to me too. We traveled there earlier this year in July to visit . Good thing their is other pilot wife s that will be moving too
I am also moving to Dubai in January. I am from Bermuda and I have been living in Italy for 6 1/2 years and am moving for my husband's job. Do you know what area you will be staying in? How long is your husband's contract? I will let you know any info that you need before you move.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its for three years and we have already done research thanks though we are thinking of moving closer to the airport since he is flying out of there,Emirates hills have nice homes we might be there longer than three years if he becomes captain sooner. What does your husband do ? Are you planning on working ? Do you have a family ?Bermuda is pretty from what i hear

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Total compensation, not just base salary alone.
For the current financial year, you can directly write-off USD 57,000 (or thereabouts) in rent/accommodation costs in Dubai.

So yes, it's certainly not tax-free but you'd need to be pushing USD 150,000 or so before you even become liable. And the tax is on the excess only. Can probably add in itemised deductions for any costs incurred in the US as well, like the interest on a mortgage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just arrived in Dubai to visit my expat parents and hopefully be able to work here. We're from Oregon.

So if you need a neighbor, just holler. Would be nice to have some fellow Americans to hang out with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello to all i am moving to Dubai next month and i am on here there and here but mostly on FaceBook , if theres any girls who would like to be friends on there that would nice

·
Registered
110 Posts
Greetings Maribel,

My wife and I moved from San Diego to Dubai last fall and I'm a flight instructor with Emirates. So far, so good. My wife has settled in very well and we have met many friends here. The pilot induction class was very tight and we have all kept in contact. Cons - The driving SUCKS and it's starting to get hot. Setting everything up from rental contracts to driver's licenses was also a pain.

Send me a message if you want and I'll give you more gouge as needed.

Borisimo

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello thats neat ! Yes my husband is in Dubai already and i am still in the states here getting our marriage certificate authenticated and going to the UAE Consulate in Los Angeles ugh, but have everything in order , i leave the first week of July . When i was there last year yea it was hot and humidity but i guess it could be worst with it being snowing or rain all year. We don't know yet where we are living maybe the Marina or downtown Dubai . Hopefully i will make new friends there i havent met any of the wife s pilots but am sure i will like them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Maribel. I just got here a little over a month ago, but i am In abu dhabi. It has been a little been difficult to find a job, but im still looking,( intenrational mangement) If im not lucky my husband is thinking to move to California, how is it there? Im originally from New York. If you want to be friends, That would be nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts