Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I have just left the armed forces at the tender age of 26 and have been offered a new job in dubai. My starting salary is 180k basic with an additional 100k allowance for accom and also a yearly bonus scheme. Im pretty happy with the package but have a few questions about living, credit cards etc.

Because i will have no credit as such in Dubai will i find it difficult to get a credit card when i arrive? I have one in the UK but rarely use it and as such dont have much of a credit rating here. I am also told i will need a letter from my company stating my wages etc to open a bank account. Could anyone advise me on what to expect on my salary with options of banking?

Ive also had a long read through all the forums about finding somewhere to live. Ive checked out dubizzle and myroommate.me and i was wondering if anybody else had any suggestions. I preferably would like to share an apartment or villa with people for my first year.

Any help or advice on any of the above of anything in general would be great!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Afternoon all,

I have just left the armed forces at the tender age of 26 and have been offered a new job in dubai. My starting salary is 180k basic with an additional 100k allowance for accom and also a yearly bonus scheme. Im pretty happy with the package but have a few questions about living, credit cards etc.

Because i will have no credit as such in Dubai will i find it difficult to get a credit card when i arrive? I have one in the UK but rarely use it and as such dont have much of a credit rating here. I am also told i will need a letter from my company stating my wages etc to open a bank account. Could anyone advise me on what to expect on my salary with options of banking?

Ive also had a long read through all the forums about finding somewhere to live. Ive checked out dubizzle and myroommate.me and i was wondering if anybody else had any suggestions. I preferably would like to share an apartment or villa with people for my first year.

Any help or advice on any of the above of anything in general would be great!!
You won't find it difficult to get a credit card here. The bank you open an account with to transfer your salary into will most likely offer you one, but it shouldn't be a huge issue to get one elsewhere.

Choice of place to live is down to personal circumstances and preference really. Where will your office be? Will you have a car? Are you willing to pay more to live in some of the pricier areas (marina, downtown etc) or are you looking for cheap and cheerful? Your best bet is probably to figure that kind of stuff out when you come out here and have managed to get a bit more familiar with Dubai and how to get around etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the reply!!

Yeah i was looking at options with hsbc and citibank, mainly due to worldwide travel and ease of access to their machines.

Well the 100k allowance is mine to spend so id like to live somewhere near the marina or on that side of dubai. I have been quite a few times with my old job so i am fairly familiar with the layout! my main issue is looking for a website with good reliable adverts on them. A lot of dubbizle is different ads with the same pics etc which concerns me!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply!!

Yeah i was looking at options with hsbc and citibank, mainly due to worldwide travel and ease of access to their machines.

Well the 100k allowance is mine to spend so id like to live somewhere near the marina or on that side of dubai. I have been quite a few times with my old job so i am fairly familiar with the layout! my main issue is looking for a website with good reliable adverts on them. A lot of dubbizle is different ads with the same pics etc which concerns me!
I don't know which sites are most reliable to be honest. The only way you really know is when you go to see a place in the flesh. I've previously used betterhomes.ae, dubizzle, propertyfinder.ae etc. I know a few of the other users on here have mentioned other sites, but you might need to dig around for those in other threads as I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Might be worth having a look on the websites of the local banks (FGB, Emriates NBD etc) here to get an idea of what they offer. I don't bank with any of them personally, but no harm in looking at their range of credit cards etc to see what gives you the types of benefits you're looking for.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I would wait to see which bank your company uses rather than wasting too much time looking at all the banks here. Most companies have a preferred bank that they use for salary transfers.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Afternoon all,
Because i will have no credit as such in Dubai will i find it difficult to get a credit card when i arrive? I have one in the UK but rarely use it and as such dont have much of a credit rating here. I am also told i will need a letter from my company stating my wages etc to open a bank account. Could anyone advise me on what to expect on my salary with options of banking?!
A bit concerning that the first thing you think about is getting a credit card...great way to manage your finances and debt, in a country where being in debt is illegal :thumb: (ps just realised my sarcasm didn't come over very well, just to reconfirm i was being sarcastic, credit cards are bad)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I take it you're employer is putting you up in a hotel for the first one or two months? For flat shares you're best bet is Dubizzle. There are some dubious adverts on there but for western flat shares around the 5k mark, all will be fairly genuine. Just look out for ads that are conversational rather than Room + Price + Phone Number and be prepared to do a number of viewings once you get here.

·
Banned
96 Posts
You're 26?

I'm 25 and they told me the housing acco. component is generally for older dudes and families. My base is exactly the same with the yearly bonus crap. Are your skills in demand or did you negotiate?

There's an ad on Dubizzle for a decent 3 BR for 90k per annum in the Marina. Since the going rate seems to be 130-140 k it seems bizarre though the pics and the guy I spoke to over the phone seemed legit. Weird.

What the hell is a 'western flat share'?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.