Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of Moving to Dubai need help

Hello everyone,

I am currently studying the Primary/Secondary teaching degree at Massey University in New Zealand. I am currently in my second year of the teaching degree, which is made up of a total of four years. Although it is a while away, I was wondering about a few things that I may need to take into account before looking for a teaching career in Dubai.

The degree I am currently studying in will have a total of 6 months overall teaching time within the classroom. This teaching is done in a variety of different schools, too.

Is it better for me to register as a teacher in New Zealand, which is 2 years of teaching, before leaving to teach in Dubai, or is this the usual requirement in Dubai before you can teach there anyway?

What is the best options for me as a beginner teacher that people would recommend to me, before taking on an overseas teaching career in Dubai.

I will be in my mid 20's when this degree is finished.

I am looking for honest opinions and criticism, too.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read, and hopefully you will respond to my thread :D haha.

Cheers
TeeJay :plane:

·
Registered
6 Posts
moving to dubai is a great decision, i think at this point of time u r not that much experienced, so i would prefer to have some experience and mean while apply in Dubai in different areas.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Yes you should take those 2 years of teaching before heading over here. It might not hurt to apply before then to see what you can get here. When you have a decent number of years of experience you will be able to get better offers from better schools here though.

I had a friend who tried to become a teacher in NZ, he wasn't able to get anything full time though so he went off and applied for other jobs here. So it might not be so easy to get a full time job in NZ these days hence why you could apply for here once you're done with your studies.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello everyone,

Is it better for me to register as a teacher in New Zealand, which is 2 years of teaching, before leaving to teach in Dubai, or is this the usual requirement in Dubai before you can teach there anyway?

What is the best options for me as a beginner teacher that people would recommend to me, before taking on an overseas teaching career in Dubai.

Well it depends on what your long term plan is.

If you plan on teaching abroad most of your teaching career then do at least two years in NZ and then move to Dubai.

If you just want to teach abroad for a few years and return to NZ then it might be useful to do more than two years in NZ and then move on.

Good luck..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes you should take those 2 years of teaching before heading over here. It might not hurt to apply before then to see what you can get here. When you have a decent number of years of experience you will be able to get better offers from better schools here though.

I had a friend who tried to become a teacher in NZ, he wasn't able to get anything full time though so he went off and applied for other jobs here. So it might not be so easy to get a full time job in NZ these days hence why you could apply for here once you're done with your studies.
Real interesting thread. My eldest daughter studied French, German and English in the UK and followed that with a PGCE. Mainly because she wanted to teach and was advised that language teachers in the UK where in "great demand". That was four years ago. She spent two years moving from one temporary maternity leave contract cover to another across numerous schools trying to get that elusive position.

In the end she took a holiday with her boyfriend to NZ (he's a civils bridge engineer) and before the six months holiday was up both have found great permanent jobs in Hamilton and Ragland. Have a nice property and enjoayable life style they could only dream of in the UK. I believe in the adage "if you look hard enough and you will find".

Shes happy. The rest of the family miss them terribly as we only see them once a year but hell NZ is great for a holiday away from Dubai even if it's a long way. Just get some experience and spread your wings. Better to have tried and failed than regret not trying at all. I'm sure whatever you do with the right attitude all will be fine :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the feedback. I have read through everything, and yes you are right that the teaching market in New Zealand is quite tough to gain a job. Although, I have been offered jobs in a few areas of teaching once my degree is finished, which is good. The only thing I am finding difficult is that I am wanting to teach overseas while i'm young, then move back to NZ to teach and start a family. I want to stay in Dubai for 2-3 years. Is likely to get jobs once you come out of a degree, or is it very slim. I do see why I should stay and get my 2 years registration, too. Has anyone been in this situation and if so how did you go about this, or know of anyone who has been in this problem.

Is the teaching culture very different to what I would expect? I have always been interested in this area of teaching abroad and I know that it is something I will be doing :)

I am looking forward to experiencing this.

Once again thanks everyone! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts