Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I received a job offer, so I am moving to Dubai for one year (maybe even more) in August. Even though I have been to Dubai for a very short trip last year, I didn't realize how expensive this city can be, especially regarding to the accomodation.

And because my contract is more or less an internship with a relatively limited salary, I am looking for a shared flat, where I can have my own and fully furnished room (ideally but not necessarily with enclosed bathroom). I will work in one of the Dubai free zones, next to Jumeirah lakes tower (so very close to Dubai Marina), so in case there is a close and not that expensive neighborhood for living, in a walking distance from metro/bus station, it will be more than appreciated.

Anyway I have absolutely no idea about prices and cost of living. I only found 3 advert webpages offering a shared accommodation (DubaiClassified, Expatriates, Dubizzle) with price range from 2500 up to 7000 or even more dirhams. I don’t know what is considered to be too cheap and too expensive, however as I am limited with my expenses, I am willing to spend no more than 4000 AED for an accomodation (ideally between 2500-3700 AED for a single room). So I am not sure, if my expectations are not set up for a disappointment.

I also found that it’s pretty difficult to find the shared accomodation with western expats roomates (it’s not my preference though) and most of Asians living in the Dubai diaspora are not willing to share their flat with someone from a different culture (I understand why).

So, I would like to ask you about your experiences and picks. For instance, can you tell me which neighborhoods are the most convenient, and what price range should I expect for a single room there? Are my expectations too high? What should I take care of when searching for an accomodation in Dubai? Someone told me that accomodation is a fast moving comodity in Dubai, so it’s almost impossible to find one before I arrive. Is it true?

So, to make it clear, my preferences are (in this order):

- single and fully furnished room

- enclosed bathroom

- convenient location (I mean, not too far from the metro/bus, like the International City, etc)

- Internet and DEWA included

Do you think, it’s real to find a deal and offer like this, for 3000-3700 (max. 4000) AED?

Many thanks for all of your advices

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Dubizzle is your best bet.

You need to filter out the cheaper rooms. The more expensive ones (above 3K a month) will be geared towards proper flatsharing arrangements. Keep looking, keep calling around and you'll find something suitable. Quite a few apartments in the Marina/JLT are rented out by a room by room basis to young professional expats.

4K a month is doable for the Marina/JLT. 3,500 a month is usually a maid's room that may not even have a proper window.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts