Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow expats or expats to be.

So we are from South Africa and we all work in the dance industry.
We have recently all taken part in an audition for a dance company in Dubai and got the job.
We have burning questions to ask of all of you and require advice asap!

1. What does it mean to work in a freezone and not have labour laws apply.

2. What are the rules regarding a commonlaw couple ( bf and gf or engaged couple)

3. What is the buying power of the dirham in Dubai, how easy is accommodation to afford? ( we wish to share maybe a villa or 4-6 bedroom place to rent near the Dubai knowledge village)

4. How suspect are job offers from dubai to foreigners? (should we be worried?)

5. What is a good housing allowance per person per month?

6. What is there to worry about for us in Dubai?

Thank you all for the advice, more Q's to come.

·
Registered
79 Posts

We have recently all taken part in an audition for a dance company in Dubai and got the job.

1. What does it mean to work in a freezone and not have labour laws apply. FREE ZONE "RULES" ARE SIMPLY STATED THAT A NUMBER OF EMPLOYMENT REGULATIONS TO GAIN A RESIDENCY/WORK VISA DO NOT APPLY BUT MANY RULES DO APPLY. YOU HAVE GOT TO CHECK IN WITH THE DUBAI/UAE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE FOR MORE HELP ON THIS: Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone Authority

2. What are the rules regarding a commonlaw couple ( bf and gf or engaged couple) AGAIN THIS ? HAS BEEN ANSWERED EXHAUSTIVELY... AINT NO SUCH THING AS "COMMON LAW" OVER HERE... EITHER YOU ARE MARRIED AND CAN PROVE IT OR YOU ARE NOT AND IT IS ILLEGAL AND YES PUNISHABLE IN SHARIA COURT WITH FINES AND JAIL TIME AND YES DEPORTATION... LOTS AND LOTS OF SEX-WORKER LADIES OVER HERE PLYING THEIR TRADE BUT HAND-HOLDING AND KISSING AND HALTER-TOPS AND COHABITATION OF UNMARRIED FOLKS??? O NO.

3. What is the buying power of the dirham in Dubai, how easy is accommodation to afford? ( we wish to share maybe a villa or 4-6 bedroom place to rent near the Dubai knowledge village). SIMPLY LOOK UP A WEBSITE THAT SHOWS CURRENCY CONVERSION FROM YOUR DOLLAR TO THE DIRHAM DOLLAR. MY FAVORITE IS OANDA - Forex Trading and Exchange Rates Services AND FROM THERE FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH/LITTLE YOU MAKE AND FIGURE OUT YOUR LIFESTYLE REQUIREMENTS. EVERYTHING FROM VILLA RENT TO FOOD PRICES ARE ALL OVER THE WEB WITH A GOOGLE SEARCH.

4. How suspect are job offers from dubai to foreigners? (should we be worried?) IN MY OPINION THAT DEPENDS ON THE HISTORY OF THE EMPLOYER. ARE THERE THOSE HERE BROUGHT IN UNDER FALSE PRETENSE TO THEIR VERY SHOCKING DISMAY? OYES. ARE THERE THOSE WHO ARE ACTUALLY ENSLAVED FROM FALSE PRETENSE? OYES. ARE THERE THOSE WHO HAVE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES HERE? OYES. WHAT IS YOUR EMPLOYERS HISTORY? HAVE YOU VERIFIED INDEPENDENTLY SUCH? HAVE YOU CHECKED IN WITH PROFESSIONALS IN YOUR FIELD FOR THEIR REFERENCE AND RECOMMENDATION?

5. What is a good housing allowance per person per month? DEPENDS ON YOUR INTERPRETATION OF GOOD HOUSING. GO TO www.dubizzle.com" AND YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED ON ACCOMMODATION.

6. What is there to worry about for us in Dubai? HMHM AGAIN. DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT. CRIME? NOT REALLY. PRETTY SAFE HERE. STREET MUGGINGS? ONO. LADY'S OUT ALONE? I WOULDN'T. DISEASE? NO. RAMPANT RIOTS? ONLY IF MALL OF EMIRATES SHUTS DOWN EARLY. CAR ACCIDENTS AND GETTING SMASHED? OYES. LEERING GESTURES FROM IDIOT MEN OF EVERY NATIONALITY YOU COULD THINK OF? OYES. BUT YOU LADY'S KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT. WEIRDO'S? YES. NICE PEOPLE? YES. GO TO BARS AND ASKED YOUR PRICE FOR AN HOUR OR TWO? YES. CHAT UP OTHER NICE LADIES AND GO OUT FOR WALKS WITHOUT FEAR? KINDA.

Wow and so many questions!!! I'll throw in a few responses and then the old-timers here will have their go at these... and do mind that on this forum there are months and months of these same type of questions so do go backwards and you'll likely find every answer you need...

Hope this helped some.

TT

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts

1. What does it mean to work in a freezone and not have labour laws apply. - TigerT has already answered this one. Labour laws do apply but they are a variation of the ones that are applicable outside of the free zone.

2. What are the rules regarding a commonlaw couple ( bf and gf or engaged couple) - This is not recognised in the UAE. You will need to be legally married if you wish to co-habit with your boyfriend/girlfriend. If you are not legally married and live together, you put yourself at risk for jail time and deportation. That being said, a lot of unmarried couples do live together and maintain a low profile, stay out of trouble, etc.

3. What is the buying power of the dirham in Dubai, how easy is accommodation to afford? ( we wish to share maybe a villa or 4-6 bedroom place to rent near the Dubai knowledge village) - It depends on how much you are being offered as housing allowance and where you would like to live. Search Property Real Estate for Sale and Rent. Jobs in the Middle East and North Africa , Free Classifieds in with Dubizzle.com for villa rents and you can also look at the sticky on the top of this forum called "Read before posting...."
Sharing a villa is illegal in Dubai unless you are all part of the same family. Again, many people do it, but it's illegal.

4. How suspect are job offers from dubai to foreigners? (should we be worried?) - TigerT has already answered this. Do your research.

5. What is a good housing allowance per person per month? - It depends on where you want to live, your marital status, do you have kids or not, etc.

6. What is there to worry about for us in Dubai? - Be aware of the customs and respect the country that you live in. This is an Islamic country that follows Islamic Law. You cannot walk around in skimpy clothes, no public displays of affection and swearing, showing the finger, etc might have you end up in jail.
This city is also quite safe. Contrary to what Tiger has mentioned, it is OK to walk around alone as long as you are careful. There is crime but it is not as pronounced as elsewhere. The impression that TigerT has painted for you about Dubai is actually quite alarming. This city is very cosmopolitan and there are a lot of different nationalites from the very rich executives who drink themselves silly over brunches on Fridays to the very poor labourers who work in 50 degree heat all day long and can't even afford a proper meal.

Good luck with your final decision :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Just to give you perspective - with all due respect Tiger T has been here for a few weeks. Pamela has been here for something like 10 years or more (if I am not wrong).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always defer to those who are expert as I live my life as a very senior technical expert in my field. I said (politely put) what I said based on my own first hand experience. If that is not the experience of older hands here then wonderful! Just statements of truth there and then other statements of my opinion.

Wouldn't want any here to think the two are co-mingled because they are not. I have my opinions and then I also have my experiences of what has occurred in this past 4 weeks and then what I have experienced in the past many years of travel and my reality of Dubai is not anyone elses.

Again; politely and with courtesy.

TT

Discontinuing now from this thread with my thanks for the read.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just to give you perspective - with all due respect Tiger T has been here for a few weeks. Pamela has been here for something like 10 years or more (if I am not wrong).
it doesn't really matter how long one has been here. there are people who have been living here for 15 years and are content or have nowhere else to go; comparatively, there are people who spend here 6 months are are extremely happy or can't wait to break the contract and leave. there are no two similar paths people take here due to the different circumstances under which they are hired because, after all, you count here as long as you work.

what matters when giving advice here is whether any poster has gone through the situation described and can contribute some valuable advice.

just to give you another perspective...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Sure - length of time has nothing to do with advice regarding document attestations or where to find the right housing. But one needs to be here for more than a few weeks to understand whether it is a safe city, what is the law and how it is practised in general (e.g. cohabitation and alcohol license) etc and these kind of issues. Surely you don't need to be in dubai for years to understand that, but also you need to be here for more than a few weeks to pass on something more than hearsay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.