·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all exparts

Im maven 26 yrs old from scotland
im thinking of moving to darwin but i dnt know anyone or anything about it
can someone help me and give me some info plz

In scotland i work as security officer for G4S.
its a good job and im on 21k a year with 60hrs a week
my family thinks im gon nuts to move down under without any help
so someone plz help me out here

thanks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Maven:

You'd need to come here on a skilled visa, have you applied for one?

First take a look at this list and determine which skill you fall under:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Then do the points test at the Immi website.

If you have enough points to apply then you need to get your skill assessed and then put in an application to DIAC.

At the current processing priorities (skill not on any priority list) you are looking at a 2-3 yr wait before a PR visa is granted.

At the top of the forum threads there are sticky threads, please read those as they go into detail about the process.

Hiya all exparts

thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hiya there

first i have to say thanks for ur reply

the truth is i have this girl i like from darwin
she is australian and have a good job in the darwin hospital
im thinking of moving with her but i have never been to darwin before or any part of australia :(

want to move by end of this year
do you think it is possible?

thanks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You could come for a visit (upto 1 yr, apply before you come to AU). But you could not legally work during that time.

If you are young you can also consider that WHV (Working Holiday Visa). It has some restrictions on how long you can work for.

Have you lived together with your girl in the UK for 12 months or more?

If yes, then look into a Spouse visa and look at this fact sheet:
Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 35. One-Year Relationship Requirement

hiya there

first i have to say thanks for ur reply

the truth is i have this girl i like from darwin
she is australian and have a good job in the darwin hospital
im thinking of moving with her but i have never been to darwin before or any part of australia :(

want to move by end of this year
do you think it is possible?

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
You certainly need to do your homework about how you can move to Australia and work. If you can't work and haven't got a lot of money.........well there isn't much point.

As someone who has lived in Darwin I would advise you to visit first as it is not everyones cup of tea. That is especially so for many of those from the northern hemisphere. Darwin has 2 distinct seasons, wet and dry and many people can't handle the heat and humidity. A very cold night in the middle of winter is 19c.

The bugs, crocodiles and snakes is another turnoff for many. Add to that the isolation and vey high cost of living, especially for accommodation. Well you get the picture.

The flip side is that you live in a place that never experiences winter, has a fantastic social scene, especially for young people and is close to some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

It appears that every second person in Darwin is involved in security work. You would be wise to check out Darwin jobs in :SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for ur help mate

you are right i have to do my homework

i will look at the job site that you gave

many thanks

:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
We are currently applying for NT state sponsorship. Checkout the NT govt website, it has loads of info as well as their criteria for sponsorship and what jobs are needed. It also has links to a lot of info.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hiya king

thanks for ur reply

im doing my homework i got the job webesite,spouse visa site and now i will chk NT gov site

you guys have been a g8 help

many thanks

:)

·
Banned
934 Posts
The man is 26 years old and qualifies for a 2 year working holiday visa.

Just come out mate and look for work and you'll find soemthing. I'm sure there is plenty of security work out there. Perth is humid isolated and small but you may really like it. If you have no real special ties to Scotland why don't you just come out for a few years and see if you like it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hiya all exparts

thanks
Hi,
My Boyf is from Darwin and I'm from Newcastle in UK. I applied for the spouse visa and got it. I visited Darwin and my boyf family home before that and decided while it is a lovely place it's a bit too hot and small for me.
I left the UK in Sept 09 and spent 6 weeks in Darwin with my partner and it was super hot. You really have to time your day if you go outside as it is super hot from 11am til 3pm. I suppose becuase I'm from cold newcastle I had to climatise to it and Ive got really fair skin too. However all the buildings have aircon which is really nice it's like reverse from england you go inside to get cool.
I had an excellent time there though met some really cool people, did a lot of camping as the bush is like an hour away, got aquainted with the local wildlife which is super different to UK, laughed evryday at the NT news headlines (generally about someone being eaten by a croc, oh and my fave was that a man and woman got arrested by the police and were seen doing it in the paddy wagon) thats Darwin for you!!!
I was living with my boyf mum so didn't experience rent etc...Oh and you can't swim in the sea for parts of the year as there are jellyfish.
You should defo experience it for yourself though. in the dry is when the tourists/travellers all go so it's really busy and i'm sure you could find casual work if you visited on a holiday or something. I find in Darwin they just follow the beat of their own drum which is cool.
I'm in Melbourne now which is where all the pomms go as the weather is more copeable.
Where abouts in Darwin is your GF from my boyf might know her!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can I relocate to Darwin

Friends

I live in Perth – WA now but I am expecting an offer from Darwin .
Obviously Perth is better place than Darwin , in terms of life style and other things . But I have 2 main reasons why I can`t ignore this offer .

1.Money – Much higher than present salary , and probably not possible with any other Australian cities
2.Company – One of the reputed company in Oil & Gas business

However we have some kind of hesitation , mainly because of my family. My questions about Darwin are

1.How friendly for Indian community
We are still Asians , not used for Australian style of living . Might be wrong but this is the fact at the moment , we tend to make friendship with Indian community here in Perth and spend time together on weekends and holidays. More importantly , Perth offers good choices on Indian hotels , grocery shops ,and movies , these are all some of the mains source of happiness for family members

2.Salt water crocodile , Box Jellyfish and Taipan.
Is it easy to avoid all these in normal life of we need some extra efforts like keeping children in the house always , not roaming out in dark etc etc . Here in Perth we saw these only ZOO, but I am hearing that even in Park or small water sources might have something dangerous in Darwin !!

3.Tropical climate and entertainment for family

I am confused , either to accept and go ahead or continue the same work , if I decide to ignore , I have to tell them in advance otherwise it will create some kind of misunderstanding

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
What is the percentage difference from your current Perth salary?

Personally I wouldn't do it. But if money is primary objective in AU then consider it.

1. For Asians it is OK, Darwin has a fairly mixed crowd due to it's location in proximity to Asia. I don't know if Indians are dominant in this group (I suspect more likely to be Malay or Indonesians rather than Indians).
2. You need to take precautions near water, otherwise it's fine.
3. Climate is very different than Perth and more like India with a hot season, rainy season, dry season. If you left India because of climate then you wouldn't want to move to Darwin.

Friends

I live in Perth – WA now but I am expecting an offer from Darwin .
Obviously Perth is better place than Darwin , in terms of life style and other things . But I have 2 main reasons why I can`t ignore this offer .

1.Money – Much higher than present salary , and probably not possible with any other Australian cities
2.Company – One of the reputed company in Oil & Gas business

However we have some kind of hesitation , mainly because of my family. My questions about Darwin are

1.How friendly for Indian community
We are still Asians , not used for Australian style of living . Might be wrong but this is the fact at the moment , we tend to make friendship with Indian community here in Perth and spend time together on weekends and holidays. More importantly , Perth offers good choices on Indian hotels , grocery shops ,and movies , these are all some of the mains source of happiness for family members

2.Salt water crocodile , Box Jellyfish and Taipan.
Is it easy to avoid all these in normal life of we need some extra efforts like keeping children in the house always , not roaming out in dark etc etc . Here in Perth we saw these only ZOO, but I am hearing that even in Park or small water sources might have something dangerous in Darwin !!

3.Tropical climate and entertainment for family

I am confused , either to accept and go ahead or continue the same work , if I decide to ignore , I have to tell them in advance otherwise it will create some kind of misunderstanding

·
Registered
379 Posts
What is the percentage difference from your current Perth salary?

Personally I wouldn't do it. But if money is primary objective in AU then consider it.

1. For Asians it is OK, Darwin has a fairly mixed crowd due to it's location in proximity to Asia. I don't know if Indians are dominant in this group (I suspect more likely to be Malay or Indonesians rather than Indians).
2. You need to take precautions near water, otherwise it's fine.
3. Climate is very different than Perth and more like India with a hot season, rainy season, dry season. If you left India because of climate then you wouldn't want to move to Darwin.
Nearly 35 % , still to get final offer

Living inside city , still we will be exposed to dangerous animals?

It is very small place so it will be good if we can explore outskirts . But it looks we need to be very very careful

Money does matter really but not at the cost of life , this is what I have to know now

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
OK, it's a substantial difference. It's not an easy one to answer as I (and I'm sure most other forum members have only heard of Darwin, but even for most Aussies it's a place they read about rather than go, personal experience is hard to come by).

That being said, inside the city you still have some risks from animals (not crocs, but maybe spiders, and possibly snakes, the parks mainly). It's the National parks and waterways (i.e. ponds, oceans, lakes) that you need to take more care as that is where the jellyfish and crocs are. Same precautions as if you were in a rural village in India (i.e. for snakes).

Lifestyle is going to be a toughie. If you're the religious sort first find out what kind of temple/mosque/etc. is available for you as that is where many people start out socially within their ethnic communities. Availability of movies and groceries will be less than Perth but I think still possible for you.

The really difficult question is if your family will like it. I don't think I can answer it, but if one place in AU is like any other than maybe it's OK, or maybe they don't really want to now that you have friends and acquaintances in Perth (this is a major thing for most people).

But approach the research just like you did your India to AU move, even an inside AU to AU move has the 80% same issues (rentals, commute, food, restaurants, things to do).

Nearly 35 % , still to get final offer

Living inside city , still we will be exposed to dangerous animals?

It is very small place so it will be good if we can explore outskirts . But it looks we need to be very very careful

Money does matter really but not at the cost of life , this is what I have to know now

·
Registered
379 Posts
OK, it's a substantial difference. It's not an easy one to answer as I (and I'm sure most other forum members have only heard of Darwin, but even for most Aussies it's a place they read about rather than go, personal experience is hard to come by).

That being said, inside the city you still have some risks from animals (not crocs, but maybe spiders, and possibly snakes, the parks mainly). It's the National parks and waterways (i.e. ponds, oceans, lakes) that you need to take more care as that is where the jellyfish and crocs are. Same precautions as if you were in a rural village in India (i.e. for snakes).

Lifestyle is going to be a toughie. If you're the religious sort first find out what kind of temple/mosque/etc. is available for you as that is where many people start out socially within their ethnic communities. Availability of movies and groceries will be less than Perth but I think still possible for you.

The really difficult question is if your family will like it. I don't think I can answer it, but if one place in AU is like any other than maybe it's OK, or maybe they don't really want to now that you have friends and acquaintances in Perth (this is a major thing for most people).

But approach the research just like you did your India to AU move, even an inside AU to AU move has the 80% same issues (rentals, commute, food, restaurants, things to do).
It looks I need to analyse so many things before I make this move , I have friend in Darwin but lost the contact , I need to get him back to know more

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi EE, do let us know what you decide and what your friend says, all said and done, i did try finding about living standards there, If people say perth is slow, Darwin is super slow, the weather conditions are not the most favorable. As for going beachside, most people avoid it.
This comes from someone I know in Perth, he is now in India. He was in Darwin for sometime before coming to INdia.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hi EE, do let us know what you decide and what your friend says, all said and done, i did try finding about living standards there, If people say perth is slow, Darwin is super slow, the weather conditions are not the most favorable. As for going beachside, most people avoid it.
This comes from someone I know in Perth, he is now in India. He was in Darwin for sometime before coming to INdia.
Anj

Sure , I will let the Forum know what is my final decision

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
:) Wish you luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Friends

Got the final offer , but no decision yet

I was able to get an Indian working in Darwin for same company , the feedback was good

These are the facts

1. It is a country town with the population of 130 K to 140 K
2. Lot of Asians , in that 1000 to 1300 Indian
3. Majority of aboriginals than any other Australian city
4. Just one shopping complex but it has Coles , Woolworths , Target , K mart and Big W
5. 2 Indian restaurants , 1 grocery shop and 1 Hindu temple but no Indian movie screening ( I am Lucky that I watched ROBOT already here in Perth )
6. Climate same as some Indian cities like Chennai ( moderate humidity )
7. Only 2 seasons, wet and dry , in wet season you can see crocodiles everywhere but not in the city
8. Accommodation is very high , like 600 / week for 3 bed room unit near to CBD. But in my case it will paid from LAFHA so not from the net income

Conclusion : Not a bad place to live but have to compromise with limited family entertainment options , may be fly out of Darwin in once in 2 months can give a good feel

Fingers crossed !!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 127 Posts