Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I've received my visa pack and I'll be moving to Canada at the end of the month, and then my family will be coming out after a couple of weeks once I'm established, the questions are.
1, I'll be renting to start with and obviously with no credit history or a year or two's pay slips how does it stand with trying to rent somewhere?
2. I've just dug out my driving licence and over here in the UK we have a paper part and a photo card, but my photo card has expired. My paper part says it is valid till 2049, will I still be able to surrender this in Canada or should I try and get a new in date one?
Well thanks and look forward to your replays. ?

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Do you have any previous landlords or letting agents here in the UK whom you could use as references? A good many places require references (to verify that you've been a good tenant, paid rent on time, not noisy etc) and will require first and last month's rent (rent is charged/collected monthly in North America, almost exclusively at the beginning of the month) plus a deposit (the amount varies).

I'd suggest looking at Realtor.ca (Canadian equivalent to RightMoove and Zoopla) for rental options.... it has listings of apartments (flats) and homes for rent and sale across Canada. If you can tell us what city you are looking to move to, we can suggest areas to look at renting/buying and what areas to avoid

In regards to your driving permit, the paper counterpart is no longer valid as of 08 June 2015 (I don't think many people know this, as there was very little publicity from the DVLA... my husband [who is registered blind and does not drive] told me about this a few months back).

Licenses in Canada are dealt with on a provincial level (as opposed to nationally like the DVLA)... I'm not sure what province you are moving to or what your provincial motor vehicle branch will do in regards to your expired license, but you can contact them to inquire... just google "provincial motor vehicle branch [Province name]" and you should get a link to the provincial website. It may be worth it to try and renew your UK permit before you go... I should think that you should have enough time if you submit your paperwork by the end of this week.

As an aside... are you an EPL fan? The sports networks on Canadian television cover the EPL and will cover the blacked out (in the UK) 3pm kick off games, as well as the 12:45 and 5:15 matches. Not sure how many games or which station (it's either TSN or SportsNet) cover it, as I've been living in London for the past 3 years (with a couple of visits back to Canada) but my husband was pleased to discover that the 3pm kickoff is televised in Canada, the first time he came to Canada a few years back.

Sadly, cricket isn't as widely covered, although it is experiencing a rise in popularity - there is a large South Asian community in Canada who play the game at a "Club" level (South Asian/Indo-Canadians are what the UK refers to as "Asians" while "Asians" in Canada refer primarily to the Japanese/Chinese/Korean/South East Asian communities (Philipino/Thai/Vietnamese etc). Hopefully someone will be covering the Ashes, if not the International matches.

Anyway, have a safe trip and welcome to Canada! I hope you enjoy your life there as much as I've enjoyed my life here in the UK so far! :canada: :) :canada:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for the info guys, and yeah I'm aware that u need valid drivers license here in UK I've only just realised ? but didn't want to send it off and not have it back in time for when I go!
I currently rent at mo and yeah they would give me a glowing reference as I've done a lot to the property since I've taken it over.
Where moving to Edmonton as that's where my work will be based, my partners a little worried as we have two teenage girls and she's worried that there might not be a lot for them to do there (yes they know about the mall) lol
Thanks again ?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Hi thanks for the info guys, and yeah I'm aware that u need valid drivers license here in UK I've only just realised ? but didn't want to send it off and not have it back in time for when I go!
I currently rent at mo and yeah they would give me a glowing reference as I've done a lot to the property since I've taken it over.
Where moving to Edmonton as that's where my work will be based, my partners a little worried as we have two teenage girls and she's worried that there might not be a lot for them to do there (yes they know about the mall) lol
Thanks again ?
For a quick and affordable rent, I would recommend: https://www.broadstreet.ca/; this is a month to month and their apartments (flats) come with laundry room, a huge plus plus in winter.

As for the girls, trust me: something will be extremely wrong if they get bored here. Yes, this is a relatively small city, but they will find options in: academic, sports, arts, shopping and on and on.

You will be landing in Edmonton in what's been considered the second warmest summer recorded in 80 years.

Anime
(Cheers)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.