Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have sold our house and its all going through, fingers crossed. We need to rent in Morbihan, just a small place for two of us until we have purchased a house, probably 3-4 months. Any ideas how to go about this or recommendations maybe?
Many thanks
Sheila

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
Salut!
Hello!

I've moved your threads to the France branch as I think that you'll receive better advice here than on the UK branch.

Bonne chance/Good luck to you and have a safe journey!

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
You may well want to plan on renting for a bit longer than a mere 3 or 4 months, as that can be the waiting period to close on a home purchase in France once the purchase offer has been accepted.

In any event, you're probably looking at an extended "holiday rental" of some sort. Standard rental terms on an unfurnished residential flat or house in France involve a 3 year lease (though you can move out earlier if you give proper notice). Most furnished properties are treated as holiday rentals and can be let for shorter terms.

If your French is up to the task, your best bet is probably to contact some local rental agencies in person to discuss your requirements and budget and then visit the properties yourself. (Be careful because if two different agents show you the same property and you rent it, you could be liable for two agency fees.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Hi

For renting you will need to take with you UK bank statements, UK payslips or proof or revenue, passport, proof of address (leccy bill etc).

If you haven't done so you should open a French bank account and make friends with the staff there. They can help in all sorts of ways, if only to explain how bureacracy works in France.

Ps...I've just reread your first post and I see that you have sold your UK house. That may present problems in France because you may be seen as "no fixed abode" and therefore impossible to rent. Perhaps others here can advise.

...and the usual advice here is to keep your UK bank, credit card etc, and a UK address. For example for driving licence renewal DVLC will only post to UK addresses.

DejW

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Owned a property in Dol de Bretagne for 15 years, further to what others have stated, do you home work. Commune and Regional Taxes need to be evaluated. When buying you will pay Commision to the Immobilier and often Notaire who does the transaction. It can be quite laborious and almost wear you out. Notaires act as salesman and if you visit their office can often find a property they are selling for a deceased estate. Depending on what kind of property you want, others here may be able to give an update, I found Older propertys are not so popular with the French especially more Rural Houses. Young French tend to go for relatively new Property, probably because of Mortgage requirements.
If you want to stray into Ille et Villaine, I know a very good Agent ( French) who speaks perfect English, at Combourg.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Moving to Morbihan

We have sold our house and its all going through, fingers crossed. We need to rent in Morbihan, just a small place for two of us until we have purchased a house, probably 3-4 months.
As previously said purchase can sometimes take quite a bit longer here than in the UK, even when you have found the house of your dreams.
Finding such a house can take quite a while too, so renting is a really good idea. It can help you adjust to the way that things are done here and widen your knowledge of the area you have chosen. As an aside OH and I rented for 6 years before finding our present home.

You haven't said where you want to be in Morbihan ? It is quite a large area.

Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.