Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Im new ! Myself,partner and 3 kids ages 13,6 and 3yrs are hoping to move to Brittany,maybe the Moribhan region, we still havent decided! Would love any information about what regions would be best in Brittany to live with kids. Schooling is my biggest worry to be honest. Home schooling is a thought and would like any advice on this pls. We would want to rent a property and have been very surprised at the reasonable monthly rents. I speak basic french and am taking a course online to improve. Any info,advice,tips etc would be very much appreciated:)

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
I've moved your post out on to the main French message board in the hope of attracting a few more replies.

If you haven't seen this yet, you might want to skim through the following publication on the French schools: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education...urybase/national_summary_sheets/047_FR_EN.pdf

Home schooling is an option, but you are subject to some pretty strict controls as to subject matter et al.

Rentals may be reasonable in price, but new arrivals can encounter some difficulties in establishing their credit-worthiness with a potential landlord if they don't have three months' worth of French pay slips (the norm for rental contracts).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

I live Morbihan, Guidel. Integrating hasn't been a problem, I try not to make a difference between how I would go about things in the UK and France, my language skills were basic and probably about 70% there, I have a private french teacher to help with my pronunciation and grammar, which is the main problem.

I am quite active and sporty so I have joined a few clubs and that has helped me alot to be settled. Its hard sometimes, but people are patient and when we can't understand I just laugh and copy....laughter is the key to integrating....:D

As for renting, its basically the same as the UK, but as renters we are more protected in France than in the UK.

To get a rental contract you need to provide
1. Employment Contract
2. Proof of last address
3. ID
4. Tax return (This is only if you have worked in France for the last year, and is to tell the rental agency how much you earned last year - but as I have a a UK contract still I didn t need to proved this)
5. Bank account no/RIB no

The biggest huddle is to get a bank account, you need to provide

1. Proof of Address (It will be alot of better if you can use your UK address 1st - give them your utility bills for there, as without a bank account you won't be able to get a house, and no utility bills to prove you live there or if you have someone you know there, you can ask them to fill out a certificate of habitation to verify you "live" there - If you don't have a house in the UK and no one to vouch for you in France, then maybe you can use someones house in the UK and get them to write a letter to vouch for you)
2. Tax code (I gave them my English payslips and P60/P45) - You need to prove that you are paying your tax somewhere...As France do not operate PAYE you need to prove that somewhere you are paying tax...I suppose this won t be necessary if you don't work (65+ etc)
3. ID (Passport)

The plus points about opening a bank account in France is that it is likened to that of the banking system 30 years ago (so i am told I m too young to remember), you will be assigned to that bank account in that dept. I am credit agricole in Morbihan, and I have bank account manager. I was not credit checked, and it doesn't exist in France, so don't fear, you want a loan you actually make an appointment and speak to your bank manager. He/She will make an informed decision is based on logical reasoning, no scoring and computer will make this decision.

The bad points, the banks are regionalised so if you want to make a loan application you need to go to your bank account in your dept. or the one you opened it up in, most things will be dealt with through that one bank....but its getting better....

So in order, get the bank account done, the life becomes alot easier.

As for the school thing, I have no kids but kids adapt quickly....within 6 months they ll be speaking french and making new friends...

Good luck

Helen

·
Registered
68 Posts
I forgot to add these points as well for renting -
As for renting, its basically the same as the UK, but as renters we are more protected in France than in the UK. We have a 3 year contract, that is not to say we are tied in for 3 years, we give the normal 1 or 2 months notice and move out, the 3 year contract is to protect us from the landlord moving us out or increasing rent for 3 years. Once the contract expires by law the landlord cannot increase the rent above inflation, I believe at a guess for us our increase will be 2% per year once it expires. Its alot different to the UK eh?

Also council tax is not anywhere as high in France than in the UK, I think we pay 80 a month. But this is only if you are in resident in your house on the 1st January of each year. Move in on the 2nd and you don 't pay until the following year!

I pay 700 Euros, but my house is 5km from Guidel Beach ( a tourist destination) and its a 3 bedroom house with a garage....I believe this is half what I would pay if I wanted the same in my home county of South Devon.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hi

I live Morbihan, Guidel. Integrating hasn't been a problem, I try not to make a difference between how I would go about things in the UK and France, my language skills were basic and probably about 70% there, I have a private french teacher to help with my pronunciation and grammar, which is the main problem.

I am quite active and sporty so I have joined a few clubs and that has helped me alot to be settled. Its hard sometimes, but people are patient and when we can't understand I just laugh and copy....laughter is the key to integrating....:D

As for renting, its basically the same as the UK, but as renters we are more protected in France than in the UK.

To get a rental contract you need to provide
1. Employment Contract
2. Proof of last address
3. ID
4. Tax return (This is only if you have worked in France for the last year, and is to tell the rental agency how much you earned last year - but as I have a a UK contract still I didn t need to proved this)
5. Bank account no/RIB no

The biggest huddle is to get a bank account, you need to provide

1. Proof of Address (It will be alot of better if you can use your UK address 1st - give them your utility bills for there, as without a bank account you won't be able to get a house, and no utility bills to prove you live there or if you have someone you know there, you can ask them to fill out a certificate of habitation to verify you "live" there - If you don't have a house in the UK and no one to vouch for you in France, then maybe you can use someones house in the UK and get them to write a letter to vouch for you)
2. Tax code (I gave them my English payslips and P60/P45) - You need to prove that you are paying your tax somewhere...As France do not operate PAYE you need to prove that somewhere you are paying tax...I suppose this won t be necessary if you don't work (65+ etc)
3. ID (Passport)

The plus points about opening a bank account in France is that it is likened to that of the banking system 30 years ago (so i am told I m too young to remember), you will be assigned to that bank account in that dept. I am credit agricole in Morbihan, and I have bank account manager. I was not credit checked, and it doesn't exist in France, so don't fear, you want a loan you actually make an appointment and speak to your bank manager. He/She will make an informed decision is based on logical reasoning, no scoring and computer will make this decision.

The bad points, the banks are regionalised so if you want to make a loan application you need to go to your bank account in your dept. or the one you opened it up in, most things will be dealt with through that one bank....but its getting better....

So in order, get the bank account done, the life becomes alot easier.

As for the school thing, I have no kids but kids adapt quickly....within 6 months they ll be speaking french and making new friends...

Good luck

Helen
I have to say that my experience was a lot easier - we arranged a rental agreement via a local estate agent while we were still in California and paid 3 months rent in advance via wire transfer. We signed the papers in CA as well.

The bank account with Societe Generale was a breeze, copy of the rental agreement, passports (UK) and that was it.

We live just north of Vannes, it's a great area with loads of activities, bit of a zoo in the tourist season but not a huge problem, other than parking.

The weather is better here than in the UK, slightly warmer, about as wet as South West England, people are great and the countryside wonderful.

Bon chance

Reactions: truth66

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good stuff rynd2it, there you go, its an example of how easy it is....perhaps Societe Generale is less strict than credit agricole, but all very positive stuff.

Coming to France I think is easier than setting up life in the UK...no useless credit checks for both banks and renting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.