Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am moving to Brisbane with my husband and two children In August of this year and wondered if anyone can give us some advice on good areas to live within an hours drive of fortitude valley.
Thanks for any advice you can give
From new expat member
Sam :]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sam,

You might find this helpful (was posted a while ago):

Hi!
I live in Brisbane so thought I'd reply to your post, as I am going to Spain next year and am searching the same sort of info from people there!

It's probably helpful to give an idea of the sort of lifestyle you are looking for - what sort of facilities you like to have around you, etc. For example, how old are your children? Are you interested in private or government schools? And when you talk of having land, do you mean what they call here "acreage"? An average inner-city block may be anything from 250sqm (very small!) to 450 - 550sqm. As you move out blocks obviously get bigger. People who like the semi-rural life seem to like Bellbowrie, Kenmore Hills, Samford - have you looked at those suburbs / areas? To me they seem very "family" orientated areas - people with horses, tennis courts etc. I'm not so familiar with Logan and areas to the south - hopefully someone else will be. The "bay" area is also nice - Manly, Cleveland, Wellington Point - WP for example has a bit of a holiday area feel to it, and is cooler because it is by the water. Shorncliffe / Scarborough to the north is also nice.

How long are you willing to commute for? This could give some idea as to what might suit you. I live very close to the CBD and consider places like Logan quite a way away - and also a bit of a commute. Of course this may seem little in comparison to what you are used to - but you do quickly become acclimatised and what might not bother you early on will effect you the same as everyone else when you've been here a while!

There are many excellent schools - again, if you are interested in private do you have a preference for a certain religion? This will impact your choices. There are also some great government schools. For primary school I personally wouldn't consider a private school as there are so many excellent government schools. For high school there is a variety but good ones that I know of are Brisbane State High School, Indooroopilly High, and Kelvin Grove State College - but I am sure there are others.

I hope that gives you a start - but with more info we can be a bit more focussed to your requirements!

All the best!
jockm

I moved to Brisbane a month ago from the UK, so can't tell you that much personally. I live in New Farm which is within walking distance of Fortitude Valley and it's lovely but might be too pricy. I generally think you don't have to live an hour away to live comfortably, places like Ashgrove seem really quiet and family friendly with only a short bus ride to Brisbane city centre. I have also read somewhere that Carina Heights seems to be a good place for families but don't take my word for it. i guess, it all burns down on how much you can spend and what are your priorities e.g. schools, large garden etc.
Hope that helped, I am new to this, too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We live in Kangaroo Point. It was important to me that we not have a yard to care for so that weekends could be spent exploring the city and just relaxing. I wanted somewhere quiet but close to museums, restaurants and tourist attractions. We don't own a car so access to public transportation was very important.

My husband works in Fortitude Valley and walks to and from work everyday....he says it takes him about 25 minutes. Our children are teenagers and love living so close to the CBD....public transportation has given them so much more freedom than they had living in the U.S.

Other areas we considered were Bulimba, New Farm, Riverside (which is actually in the CBD...there are about 4 apartment buildings right on the river near the Riverside CityCat stop), West End and Tenneriffe. I wanted a view of the river and Kangaroo Point was a little bit more affordable than the other areas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the message i will research the areas, i hope you are settled into your new life
Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to Brisvegas Sam!!

I am Brissy born and bread - low living in UAE.

I hour from the Valley will put you almost anywhere within brisbane depending on when and how you travel - the traffic is a nightmare at peak hours.

not sure of the age of your kids but I presume you want a house with a yard - if so some nice suburbs that are close to the city include: Wilston, Ascot, Bardon, Auchenflower on the northside and on the southside look at Coopraroo, fairfield, yeronga, bulimba, hawthorne, morningside.

For seaside look at wynumn or manly.

Stay away from the western suburbs as the traffic into town will kill you.

best of luck - let me know if you need anymore advice
Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brisbane

Hi everyone

I am moving to Brisbane with my husband and two children In August of this year and wondered if anyone can give us some advice on good areas to live within an hours drive of fortitude valley.
Thanks for any advice you can give
From new expat member
Sam :]
If it's any help: The Brisbane Municipal offices have a comprehensive brochure for each and every suburb in the city

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone

A bit more information for you all, I will be completing a college course at fortitude valley which will take 1 year, and am looking to rent in a family friendly area with a good school for our 12yr old son ( who will be 13 when we move) he is looking for a good state high school where he can continue his music, he plays cello, piano and electric bass. He is at a catholic high school at the moment, although he is a member of our local christian church.
Our daughter will be applying to do her masters at Brisbane uni, she is currently in her final year at uni here. My husband may be staying in england for the first 12months with business, so finding a friendly community is important, where we will feel safe and secure, we are looking at the east side of the city towards the coast at the moment.
We need somewhere dog friendly as our little jack russell terrier will be coming with us.

The tips so far have been great , any more info would be welcome

Thanks
Samc

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi

Have you looked on "our brisbane" website? The real estate bit has suburb profiles etc. When I was in Brisbane I thought many of the suburbs would be fab for families and all easily within 1 hour of the centre.

Bear in mind when people tell you rush hour is a nightmare it doesnt even come close to town/city traffic in uk

x

·
Registered
1 Posts
buying property

hi sam

we recently moved to brisbane from the UK. I work in Fortitude Valley so I was looking for something in this area but couldn't afford the prices. Ended up buying some land about 40 minutes away at a place called Flagstone Estate. Still building, should be ready in a few months. I cant remember the website link.

Good luck with your move!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Sam,
We are located on the bayside ie Cleveland, Thornlands, Manly etc one hours commute to city and on main train line into CBD. Take a look at ourbrisbane.com | Guide for Brisbane events, dining, real estate, TV, travel, hotels + more as someone mentioned previous, from previous experience and people that have stayed with us is that you find somewhere to rent for a short period(3 to 4 weeks) then have a drive around the areas and get a feel for them and what will suit your personal needs. Try www.stayze.com.au, www.aussieholidayhomes.com.au or ozrentals.com.au all good sites for short term rental.
Good luck with your search

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best Primary School in Brisbane

Hi

We will be moving from Sydney to Brisbane. I will be working as a manager in Eagle Street, Brisbane. We have two children (5 years and 1 year). As we do not have any firend in Brisbane, therefore, we need an information about the best suburb in Brisbane which will have a good primary school and good connection to come to office via train to my office.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Jam and Maria

1 - 12 of 12 Posts