Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post, I've been searching the forum and still have lots of questions. Hopefully you don't mind helping me out with the answers.

1) My husband will have a work Visa via his employer. Am I Eligible for one as well?

2) I work as a "Mental Health School Counselor" counseling students with emotional disturbances (mentally ill) and special education students. Are there similar jobs in Brisbane? (I'm also licensed as a general School Counselor & my Master's is in Marriage & Family Therapy)

3) We have 2 dogs and we are worried about quarantine. Have you and your dogs been through it? How was it?

4) Is it very difficult to find a rental that takes dogs?

5) Initially, we need a rental that is furnished, any recommendations in or near the city? Do furnished units takes dogs?

6) We'd like to live in a furnished apartment that is within walking distance of restaurants, outdoor cafes, activities, etc. (nightlife isn't important to us). A location that is a good spot for exploring the city and surrounding area. We will only have one car initially.

7) After our short term furnished rental, we are interested in possibly living at the beach. What areas do you recommend that are within a reasonable commute to the Northgate area?

8) How long does it take to get your shipping container from the US?

9) I just had surgery and I'm in Physical Therapy, is it easy to find a Therapist in Brisbane?

10) Can I bring my iPhone and switch carriers?

11) What's a good way to meet new people? I will be home alone while my husband is at work.

12) My husband works 10-12+ a day (on a salaried job), is this uncommon in Brisbane.... Or does it depend on employer, etc. ?

13) We currently live in the US, the Pacific Northwest. Should we leave behind our boots, rain boots, coats, wool socks, fleeces?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, we just found out we're moving and I'm scrambling to get prepared. We are so excited to experience a new and different life in Australia!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, you're stressin'! :) Congrats on getting to move to Australia... My husband and I were originally targeting to move to the Brisbane area, but are now planning on Melbourne (my occupation was removed from the skilled occupation list for Queensland). Anyway - I had done a lot of research into the Brisbane area, so I've answered some of your questions below.
1) My husband will have a work Visa via his employer. Am I Eligible for one as well?
Yes, you are entitled to work as well, if you are included as a spouse in the work visa request.

3) We have 2 dogs and we are worried about quarantine. Have you and your dogs been through it? How was it?
Here is the AQIS page for importing animals from the US into Australia - it is a VERY detailed step-by-step process, and most steps are dependent on the one prior (so requires some attention):

Category 4: Quarantine period varies in Australia - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Net is... your dogs will need to have a blood test (there is only one lab in the US that performs it, if you need more info, PM me). From the date the blood tests come back, the clock starts on the "quarantine". It is a 6 month period, 5 of which can be completed before you ship your animal, but they are REQUIRED to spend AT LEAST one month in a quarantine facility in Australia. There are 3 quarantine facilities - one in Sydney, one in Melbourne, and one in Perth. The closest one to you will be Sydney.

4) Is it very difficult to find a rental that takes dogs?

5) Initially, we need a rental that is furnished, any recommendations in or near the city? Do furnished units takes dogs?

6) We'd like to live in a furnished apartment that is within walking distance of restaurants, outdoor cafes, activities, etc. (nightlife isn't important to us). A location that is a good spot for exploring the city and surrounding area. We will only have one car initially.

7) After our short term furnished rental, we are interested in possibly living at the beach. What areas do you recommend that are within a reasonable commute to the Northgate area?
Here is a neat site to find short-term rentals that are pet friendly:
Brisbane Pet Friendly Accommodation, Dog Friendly Holidays - Stayz

8) How long does it take to get your shipping container from the US?
I've heard it takes 6-8 weeks.

10) Can I bring my iPhone and switch carriers?
Yes, just needs to be "unlocked", and then you can go get a new microsim card from the new carrier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MBC71! I appreciate your guidance. I'm so excited to see that I can work.

You are right.....I'm stressing! I figured 3 months wasn't enough notice to get our dogs there on schedule with us. Our target move date is July 1st.

I will PM you for more details :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rubybeach said:
Hi-

I'm unable to PM, as I am too new to this site......
No worries, I'll PM you...

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, shoot - apparently I can't pm you either. If you reply on a few more posts, even this one, you should finally be able to.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.