Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips for finding rental housing in the Brighton area. I'll be studying for a professional degree there in the fall, and my partner and I are trying to find a 1 bedroom, furnished flat. At this point, we don't know much about the different areas of the city. We also have a max budget of 900 GBP/month bills included, and if possible would like to be either near the university area, or near public transportation that can take us to it.

Suggestions on neighborhoods, websites to check out, general advice on living a budget life in Brighton would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your budget is very low. You may just find somewhere unfurnished at your budget with bills extra. More like £1,200 a month inclusive would be realistic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips for finding rental housing in the Brighton area. I'll be studying for a professional degree there in the fall, and my partner and I are trying to find a 1 bedroom, furnished flat. At this point, we don't know much about the different areas of the city. We also have a max budget of 900 GBP/month bills included, and if possible would like to be either near the university area, or near public transportation that can take us to it.

Suggestions on neighborhoods, websites to check out, general advice on living a budget life in Brighton would be appreciated! Thanks.
Check out UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent or SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent (if you want to go for flatshare)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey all,

I lived in Brighton in the 90s - I went to Sussex and stayed in Brighton for 5 years after. Back then one of the cheapest areas to live was Moulsecoomb which is pretty much equidistant to Brighton and Falmer train stations (where Sussex is). You didn't say which university but I think Brighton University has a pretty big campus there too. It used to be a bit dodgy around there but not too bad. Alternatively the Seven Dials area and further up **** Road used to be relatively cheap too.

Edit: Also check out Hove. Once you get away from the seafront it is (or was) cheaper than Brighton. IIRC you can get a train direct to Falmer from Hove station too.

I seem to recall everyone used a local paper called Friday Ads to look for cheap/shared accommodation. Not sure if that's still the case but might be worth a look too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the info. I'll also be attending Sussex. I'll check out those neighborhoods - looking at a map, it also looks like Lewes could be a good bet.. Farther from the seafront, surrounded by green, cheaper rents it seems. Not sure if there's many amenities there though, or what the place is like... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Lewes would be too quiet for you. You really want to be in and around Brighton.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hey thanks for the info. I'll also be attending Sussex. I'll check out those neighborhoods - looking at a map, it also looks like Lewes could be a good bet.. Farther from the seafront, surrounded by green, cheaper rents it seems. Not sure if there's many amenities there though, or what the place is like... Any thoughts?

Lewes is pretty, quite bohemian IMO. Its not as lively as Brighton, thats for sure, but there are things going on. Its the main east sussex administrative town. Its expensive in the main town areas, although there are cheaper parts, but they are mainly out towards Ringmer which is further north.

I know it well, I used to work there and lived in a town nearby

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I lived in Brighton in the 90s - I went to Sussex and stayed in Brighton for 5 years after. Back then one of the cheapest areas to live was Moulsecoomb which is pretty much equidistant to Brighton and Falmer train stations (where Sussex is). You didn't say which university but I think Brighton University has a pretty big campus there too. It used to be a bit dodgy around there but not too bad. Alternatively the Seven Dials area and further up **** Road used to be relatively cheap too.

Edit: Also check out Hove. Once you get away from the seafront it is (or was) cheaper than Brighton. IIRC you can get a train direct to Falmer from Hove station too.

I seem to recall everyone used a local paper called Friday Ads to look for cheap/shared accommodation. Not sure if that's still the case but might be worth a look too.
I dont think Hove is cheaper than Brighton anymore - not since they became a joint city and **** Road isnt cheap at all, its the "posh bit" lol!!!!. Mouslcombe and Whitehawke are the cheap areas.

I think the university own various "digs" and local rooms that they may be able to offer ???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you're going to Sussex as an undergraduate the best place to live IMO is campus. Most freshers live in halls there. York House was where I lived - loved it. Good way to meet people to share a house with in 2nd/3rd year too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey all,

I lived in Brighton from 2005-2010
I will say now that is a very expensive place to live and even a single bedroom place could easily set you back £800-850 but you might get lucky. The cheaper places may be in less pleasant areas though. Avoid London Road if possible.
Good news is the city has crazy public transportation literally everywhere and it's all cheap and easy to use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I did the undergraduate thing already here in the states... Campus life was great, but that was quite a few years ago and I'm looking for a quieter way to spend my year in grad school :). My partner and I are a bit over the party scene and life.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lewes is pretty, quite bohemian IMO. Its not as lively as Brighton, thats for sure, but there are things going on. Its the main east sussex administrative town. Its expensive in the main town areas, although there are cheaper parts, but they are mainly out towards Ringmer which is further north.

I know it well, I used to work there and lived in a town nearby

Jo xxx
Hey thanks for the info Jo. Know anyone who is looking to rent a furnished one bedroom to a clean and tidy couple at a great rate? :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think Hove is cheaper than Brighton anymore - not since they became a joint city and **** Road isnt cheap at all, its the "posh bit" lol!!!!. Mouslcombe and Whitehawke are the cheap areas.

I think the university own various "digs" and local rooms that they may be able to offer ???

Jo xxx
They do have a database of local landowners who work with them, but they don't seem to be any cheaper. In fact, I saw one that is renting out a room in a share house for 900 pm. A room!

And undergraduate campus life is behind me. Looking for big girl digs.

I think I'll have to do some digging in Mouslecombe, Whitehawke and Lewes. I have indeed seen a few 1 bedroom flats going for as low as 750, even in the 600s around Lewes, so there's definitely hope ... It might be a different story when all the students descend like locusts on the area in September! Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
They do have a database of local landowners who work with them, but they don't seem to be any cheaper. In fact, I saw one that is renting out a room in a share house for 900 pm. A room!

And undergraduate campus life is behind me. Looking for big girl digs.

I think I'll have to do some digging in Mouslecombe, Whitehawke and Lewes. I have indeed seen a few 1 bedroom flats going for as low as 750, even in the 600s around Lewes, so there's definitely hope ... It might be a different story when all the students descend like locusts on the area in September! Thanks for the tips.
As impossible as it might be, you should really see these areas before making a decision!!!! Are you also having to budget for transport??
Jo xxx

Sent from my D5803 using Expat Forum

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As impossible as it might be, you should really see these areas before making a decision!!!! Are you also having to budget for transport??
Jo xxx

Yes, access to affordable transport is important, although if I find the place bikable, we plan to commute that way when the weather is nice enough. I hear Brighton is on the sunnier side... relatively speaking to the rest of the UK anyway!

I have actually been to Brighton once for the university's open day, but I really didn't have time to explore much. It was a quick walk around the center of town, the beach, then straight to the university and out again. I liked the feel of the place, even for the brief time I was there. I'm just intimidated by the prices, but with so many students, there must be ways to do things, "on the cheap." I think I saw an Aldli or a Lidl.....?

I'm hoping to set up viewings for when I arrive in late August and do a bit more exploring before school starts.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hey thanks for the info Jo. Know anyone who is looking to rent a furnished one bedroom to a clean and tidy couple at a great rate? :D
I live in Worthing, which is about 20 minutes - half an hour from Brighton (on a good day, depending on traffic lol), but I know of places here. I've got a friend in a place called Southwick - very pretty (I'm assuming you're using Google to see where places are etc???), who occasionally rents a flat she owns. I can ask?!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in Worthing, which is about 20 minutes - half an hour from Brighton (on a good day, depending on traffic lol), but I know of places here. I've got a friend in a place called Southwick - very pretty (I'm assuming you're using Google to see where places are etc???), who occasionally rents a flat she owns. I can ask?!

Jo xxx

Hey Jo! Thanks for the offer.... I looked up those locations and I think they are a bit too far out of the way for us. Let me know if you hear of anything great closer to town :).

Take care!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.