Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am new to this forum but am after some advice regarding making the big move to Australia from the UK.

I am a registered midwife in the UK (qualified for around 19 months) and am interested in working as a midwife in Australia.

Does anyone have any information that might be useful? Has anyone made the move and was happy/sad about their decision? Is the process easy and how long does it take? What is midwifery like in Australia, and is it similar to the UK?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Sarah

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi.

I am new to this forum but am after some advice regarding making the big move to Australia from the UK.

I am a registered midwife in the UK (qualified for around 19 months) and am interested in working as a midwife in Australia.

Does anyone have any information that might be useful? Has anyone made the move and was happy/sad about their decision? Is the process easy and how long does it take? What is midwifery like in Australia, and is it similar to the UK?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to forum.

Firstly, since your occupation, Midwife, is on the Skilled Occupations List, you can apply for points based permanent visa which is usually the 189 visa.
SOL - Skilled Occupations List (SOL)
189 visa - Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

On the visa page you will see the requirements that need to be met for which you are awarded points. These include:
Age, English ability (IELTS, PTE, etc), Skilled employment experience, Qualification (Degree, diploma), and other factors such as partner skills, Australian study, etc.

You must have a positive skills assessment in order to proceed.
In your case, your assessing authority would be, The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC). Website: Application options - midwife | ANMAC | Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council

Since you are from UK, the English level would be assessed as Competent (0 points) unless you do IELTS or any other recognized English test and gain higher points.

Minimum points required is 60, so make sure you meet this requirement.
You first submit EOI through SkillSelect website. Twice a month the department invites those that have met the threshold to apply for visa.
It is at this point that you provide documents to support your claim and pay the visa fee before it's submitted for processing. According to current trend it takes from 2 - 3 months to finalize the visa provided everything is in order.

Hope the above information helps you and let us know if you need more info.

Thanks
batcoder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

How likely is it to get the 60 points required, and do you know what the likelihood is of qualifying for this type of visa? I also have a partner who would be moving with me.

Sarah

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

How likely is it to get the 60 points required, and do you know what the likelihood is of qualifying for this type of visa? I also have a partner who would be moving with me.

Sarah
It all depends on your factors that determine the points like age, IELTS, experience.
Currently 60 pointers are in a waiting queue and some are experiencing slower processing. I would suggest to aim for 65 points or higher to better your chances. If your partner is working in a skilled occupation then you get 5 points additional.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your help. It's all about obtaining information at the minute to help us make a decision. Want to make sure it is the right one :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts