Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Me and my wife are looking to move to Australia and wonder if anyone could give us some advice. Would anyone recommend using an agent or is it better to deal with everything yourselves??

We have had a couple of prices and realise that its quite expensive to go through an agent but we are worried that if we dont, we may make mistakes and therefore have our application for Australia declined.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Carrie

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum.

If yours is a simple case then you can probably do it yourself. In our case we were running out of time since we were applying for a skilled independent visa and we needed to apply before we were 40 and so had to get it right first time - so we used an agent.

If you decide to use an agent make sure that they are MIA or MARA registered.

Do you know which visa you would go for?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum.

Another option would be for you to use an agent purely for help with the skills assessment. Once that's out of the way there's no reason why you can't do the main application yourself.

Dolly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum.

If yours is a simple case then you can probably do it yourself. In our case we were running out of time since we were applying for a skilled independent visa and we needed to apply before we were 40 and so had to get it right first time - so we used an agent.

If you decide to use an agent make sure that they are MIA or MARA registered.

Do you know which visa you would go for?

Regards,
Karen

Hi Karen,

The one we would apply for is the Skilled Independent Visa as I am a painter and decorator but we dont really know where to start??

Had two prices from agents, fees range from approximately £1,400 to £3,000.

Would you agree that these are about correct? Which agent did you choose??

Also, I will be 30 in the summer and worried as the points system reduces at this age - therefore we are hoping to apply asap but would like advice from anyone that been in our situation.

We have three cats and will be taking them with us - is it easy to get rented accommodation with pets??

Can you provide as much information as you can please??

Thank you.

Marc

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
It was a while ago now, but I think our agents fees were around the £2-2.5K. For us it was worth every penny.

Have you looked at the stickies at the top of the forum page? Basically there's all the info you'll need to get you started and for you to work out if you have enough points/visas available etc.

We bought our dog over from the UK and it cost around £2.5K. Finding a landlord that will accept pets can be difficult. Also, each council has their own rules about how many pets are allowed per household so if you have an idea of where you want to live it would be wise to check their website. Also, every animal has to be registered with the council, microchipped and desexed (if they aren't I think you have to pay a fair bit more for registration).

Anyhoo, check out those stickies and come back with any questions.

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
the procedure is as below

1. Get skill assessed
2. Apply for state sponsorship (if you are short of points or are not in CSL)
3. Apply for visa
4. Wait...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a while ago now, but I think our agents fees were around the £2-2.5K. For us it was worth every penny.

Have you looked at the stickies at the top of the forum page? Basically there's all the info you'll need to get you started and for you to work out if you have enough points/visas available etc.

We bought our dog over from the UK and it cost around £2.5K. Finding a landlord that will accept pets can be difficult. Also, each council has their own rules about how many pets are allowed per household so if you have an idea of where you want to live it would be wise to check their website. Also, every animal has to be registered with the council, microchipped and desexed (if they aren't I think you have to pay a fair bit more for registration).

Anyhoo, check out those stickies and come back with any questions.

Dolly

Hi Dolly,

Have been looking online for places to rent to give us an idea of costing etc but cant seem to find anything. Could you possibly give me any web address to try??

Obviously it will be a while before we even go to Australia but would like an idea of the cost of living out there.

Any area in australia you would recommend? We were thinking Brisbane or Sydney but dont really know if these are outwith our affordability??

Kind regards,

Dawn Carrie

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi arbroathcsc

I would definately recommend visa-go who are based in edinburgh! they are excellent, cost around £1800 for their fees then you will have the skills etc on top, just ask for darren chatt. They are australian as well which is good!. We have been here 6 weeks now and its great, your doing the right thing............ellisa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi arbroathcsc

I would definately recommend visa-go who are based in edinburgh! they are excellent, cost around £1800 for their fees then you will have the skills etc on top, just ask for darren chatt. They are australian as well which is good!. We have been here 6 weeks now and its great, your doing the right thing............ellisa.

Hi Ellisa,

Thank you for your reply. How did you decide where to stay in australia?? We are not sure - ideally Brisbane or Sydney but worried that the prices of living are outwith our affordability??

Could you also let me know what websites I can look on for rented accommodation??

Regards,

Dawn Carrie

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Dawn,

The property links in the 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post (towards the top of the forum) do rentals as well as sales so you can check prices there.

We used the Emigration group and were very happy with them but that was about 5 years ago now. Make sure that any agent you use is MIA or MARA registered then they should know what they are talking about.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
84 Posts
we have used visa go too and completely recommend them. We met Darren Chat at an emigrate show as well as a couple of other agents, but felt happiest with visa go

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Ellisa,

Thank you for your reply. How did you decide where to stay in australia?? We are not sure - ideally Brisbane or Sydney but worried that the prices of living are outwith our affordability??

Could you also let me know what websites I can look on for rented accommodation??

Regards,

Dawn Carrie
Hi Dawn Carrie

We had a cousin here in brisbane, so knew we wanted to come here. Also sydney is very expensive to buy.

Have a look at realestate.com, there are hundreds of rentals on there.

Good-luck....ellisa.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think your proficient is not on MODL which means some less points, so I suggest to hurry and lodge application before turning 30 to get more age points. Also spouse skills will assist. But as long as you got enough point I cannot justify the payment for the agent for independent visa 175. Just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts